Thread: The Mighty Mississippi and More

The Mighty Mississippi and More

The nation's inland waterway system covers 12,000 miles and numerous locks and dams for moving freight. It's also coming under a lot of pressure from growing crop production, oil and gas exploration, and more, according to Informa researchers: http://www.agweb.com/article/growth-...s-alison-rice/

What's the state of locks and dams in your area? How was it during harvest? What are your expectations for spring? Let us know.

I'm only a stones throw away from Lock and Dam 3. Pretty sure it is froze, well actually it probably isn't with the nuke plant by it. Was fine during harvest, I expect it to be fine this spring.

My question is -- Just how in the he11 would a Dairyfarmer KNOW if a lock was working OK or not ? I will say - He MIGHT know if the water was froze and that's about it ! Just shaken my head here - this is priceless - Pretty sure it is froze, well actually it probably isn't with the nuke plant by it --- I rest my case ! lol

my understanding is that there was a heat/temperature rise near Lock and Dam 3 when some df read what the dispatcher from Richmond posted...where
    is the gasoline tanker when you need some fire? LMAO

It is a tremendious system...just to bad it hasn't been in a higher priority maintenance program and now how to play catch up..(?)

Well Kenny, you try and put the key in the lock and dam it goes in and turns! Must be because of the old no longer working microwave sitting next to the door. That's how I know it working.

plenty of water and the locks are working good down here on the Arkansas was a little low earler in the season had three bargers stuck loaded at Morrilton but fine now---------------------dave

Just a thought......maybe infrastructure money spent on enlarging locks to handle bigger barges would have a better return than Keystone???????

John

Quote Originally Posted by jccwis View Post
    Just a thought......maybe infrastructure money spent on enlarging locks to handle bigger barges would have a better return than Keystone???????

John
    why not do them both? just look at the jobs that would make!, just pay for it over 30 years like you do a farm , make the users pay for it

We can't do anything to the locks until Buffet buys them and raises the charges to pass thru. Then we'll let the taxpayer fix'em.

The lock and dam here south of Peoria is in pretty good shape. We get a few service calls each winter when the limit switches on the gates freeze up, but generally are able to get them working in a few hours. Biggest problem is PLC code written in obscure programming language that the staff electricians are not able to trouble shoot the problems. We have offered to rewrite the programs in simple to read ladder logic but the Corp of Engineers does not want to spend the money to do so.