No announcement yet.

From the Weather Office ECI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful day here . Got into the upper 40s . Stayed busy shelling and drying corn . Can't wait to be done so the equipment can all be put to bed for the winter and get this year behind us . Yesterday while combining corn Kicked a big ol black bear out .
    They are calling for snow on Tuesday . Wish I was all done but I won't be so hopefully we don't get to much .

Comment

• They are telling us 5-9 inches of snow tue night not good weather to harvest in or good weather for the kids to drive 4 hours home from school in good weather
      Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

• IMG_7892.JPGIMG_7889.JPG

Finished the field of corn across the road and found out Yogi was still in the field having a buffet . I didn't have a phone or camera as he stood in the open field about 25 yards from me . We just sat there looking at each other for about a minute then he went back into the corn . Went up and got the wife to ride with me . She got these pictures . First pic shows Yogi leaving the field as the rows were closing in on him . Second pic is of him hiding in the rows of corn . Tried to get the Wife to sneak in there and get a closer picture . Don't know why she wouldn't do it .

Comment

• Nice of you o share the fruits of your labor with us!
          Calling for freezing rain and 5 inches of snow starting at noon tomorrow.
          I got the combine fixed around 4 today. I felt bad I had lost most of a day to a bad line.
          Turns out it was plenty muddy. I wanted to wait for freeze up tonight but Dad said he wouldn't go home until that back corner was done. He was probably right, although I hate to woller around in the mud.
          There is a freckle over 100 ft of fall in 300 ft of horizontal. It lays to the east and has about 8 rows of bottom and then goes up almost that fast on the other side. The neighbor has trees on his side so it only sees sun around noon.
          I hauled a lot of it 3/4 mile or more to the wagon. I couldn't have gotten the combine out without the mud hog.
          I thought that was pretty good for an 83 year old man to work from 7 a.m. to a little after 10.pm. Especially considering Dad was working on equipment and then hauling over rough ground in deep mud.

Comment

• IADave , thats why all the folks of your dads age were called " The Greatest Generation " .
            I too know several people of this age bracket and admire their stamina and determination . I wonder if I make it to there age if I will be able to work and live life to its fullest like
            most of them do . You're very privileged and lucky to have a dad like that .

Comment

• We pushed trying go get 60 acres done today before the snow down to 15 left a few flakes start to fly 5 minutes later we had an inch on the ground and more on the corn head.
              Driving it home was like an an elephant playing ice hockey on roller skates.
              Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

• Same happened here today. Dad wanted to fill the wagons. Only a few drops/flakes. Looked like it was going to be good for a few more hours. So I went back out. 15 minutes later I should have quit. 30 minutes I had no choice. The head had an inch of snow on it while I was still running.

Comment

• That must have been the story across the corn fields yesterday , Keep moving till the bad weather hits . I went up the road to my last field away from the farm . Didn't think I would get it done as they were calling for heavy snow and rain all afternoon . Things went good and no snow so I could see the end of that field in sight when BANG . Chain on the feeder broke . Luckily just an offset link broke . Had one at home , Got it fixed and back running and finished that field . Felt good to drive the combine home last night . Only about 8 acres left at home and I'm done !
                  Wet Heavy snow moved in here last night with some strong winds . Combinings done for a few days .

Comment

• Like Dan said, GO go Go until the snow. Lots of corn combined yesterday We are not near done but things look better.

a crew was out baling corn stalks yesterday, right behind the combine. 28% moisture [wet] corn makes wet stalk bales. and they were wet

The fields were thawed about 2 inches so the rake tractor was slipping and sliding. Baler tires were sliding so a pile of mud and stalks under the baler. Back up, clean out repeat over and over.

Thanksgiving would be better if we were done. At least WE would have something great to be thankful for

6 inches of very wet heavy snow. Very windy but very little drifting so far. But nothing will move for a while more snow promised for FRI SAT and Sunday

Comment

• Sorry for your mud, guys. Out here, everything is in, as far as I know. Any corn that hasn't been chopped was abandoned a month ago. 3.5 inches of rain this month. As of RIGHT NOW, we are getting NE winds of 50+mph, but the temp is above freezing. [35] These high pressures either last 3 days or 7 days, and get colder the longer they blow. Nov. is my least favorite month, but this year has been 'peachy' The mountains are snow covered above 2,000 feet, so its pretty to look at, not to drive through! Duck and goose hunters are fighting over your fields, while they say they never, ever hit a white swan! These swans are bigger than your sandy's, and seem to winter here. Yes, I will probably eat too much tomorrow, but I'm grateful that food still tastes good. BTW, hay seems to be plentiful out here, and may be worth the freight.

Comment

• A beautiful day today, AND locally we did NOT receive as much nasty wind and frozen sleet and snow as not very far away did...34ºF as I watch the 1 inch of snow melt.

the forecast is NOT nice for tomorrow and travelers...but with some patience, the temperature is to warm so that the ice shouldn't be as big a problem.

To everyone, Happy Thanksgiving, be safe in your travels...looks like someone forgot about the beer, so a run to the "store" may be in the works yet!

Comment

• Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to all the family! We had 2.25 in of rain yesterday. corn combing is at a stand still for now. we can't get any LP gas to dry corn. no one in our area has LP.
                            adding to all the drama. dennis don't laugh thats the way I cut pie

Comment

• just remember don't be to stressed out., someone somewhere somehow forgot to thaw out the turkey

Comment

• Thanks for reminding me, Duke, to take that plastic bag of giblets out of my turkey that some lady in Minnisooooda so tactfully stuffed waay up there in the neck region. Short arms with big hands don't help matters any!

Comment

Working...
                                X