No announcement yet.

From the Weather Office ECI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepaid for some in December at 420 ton. But thought it got cheaper after that. Maybe it's back up. Scraped mounded up soybean stubble off of a field that the river backed over so it could dry. Started planting corn on the other side of the field about 6:30 yesterday evening. Looks like we might have a couple three days before the next round of rain.

Edit:
    Well, sun shining through east window and I hear what sounds like a few sprinkles hitting the stove vent on the roof. Pretty soon I start hearing what sounds like thunder rumbling. Look at the radar and there is one isolated little cell headed our direction. Put the radar on the future track and it looks like the edge is just going to catch us. Boy it's just got to test us to the limit.
    Last edited by 4450; 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• That 10 am rain came early! Received a 1/4 inch yesterday, none in the past 12 hours, so we should get the corn in before the showers return this evening. Sure smells fresh out there. Kinda feel for ole Dan. If his wife can't make up her mind on what vehicle to get after a coupla months, then the new models will come out pretty soon; she'll keep reading all the owners comments online, from its my dream come true, to what a piece of crap. The problem with my wife? When she sits in 1 she likes, things have to happen NOW, no dilly-dallying around. Don't want her at an auction, they could run her big time.

Comment

• Got rained out of the fields this afternoon . Really hoping we don't get what weather people say we could . Possibly over 2in. again . Water still standing in some fields from the last 2in. of rain we got week ago and its been COLD . Not quite half done planting . Really wish it would WARM UP . Getting closer to June and no heat yet , and here I was all for that global warming deal .

IADave and Percy , wife got her new ride a couple days back . Its " THE CAR " she wanted . It will be 2 months tomorrow since our car was wrecked and she had to start walking so I guess it was time . Dang , these new cars are above my education level and definitely above my pay grade . After spending that kind of money on a car , no more scones and chocolate milk , looks like dry cereal .
        Last edited by dan11; 05-18-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• So you're too scared to tell us what all that whining got her? When you said 'used', I hope that's not your reaction to how the salesman treated you! Lemme guess...2 sunroofs, deer sensors, 24 inch polished wheels, aah-uugha horn, automatic snow chains...the list could be endless! At least out here a 10 year old car isn't a rat...we're so healthy out here, even our roads don't eat salt!

Comment

• REALLY, I have been busy, was spraying today but won't be doing that tomorrow, still sprinkling, but emptied 0.64 from the super gauge!

We may be in the "shortage" area, sounds like a lot of this going on tonight:

May 18, 2019 by Dewey Terrill ([url]http://www.jcpost.com/author/dewey-terrill/[/url]) 0 Comments ([url]http://www.jcpost.com/2019/05/18/water-covered-k-18-highway-east-of-milford-lake-road/#disqus_thread[/url])
            The Geary County Sheriff’s Department Saturday night planned to close K-18 Highway westbound in an area just east of Milford Lake Road in the western part of the county. Barricades were also going to be put up over Clarks Creek Road near a low water crossing in the southeast part of the county. The information was provided by Geary County Emergency Management.
            Torrential rains have dropped up to three inches of rain across the area that includes eastern Dickinson, western Geary, southwestern Riley and eastern Clay counties.
            The National Weather Service put a flash flood warning in effect until 2:45 a.m.

Comment

• Originally posted by PERCY View Post
              So you're too scared to tell us what all that whining got her? When you said 'used', I hope that's not your reaction to how the salesman treated you! Lemme guess...2 sunroofs, deer sensors, 24 inch polished wheels, aah-uugha horn, automatic snow chains...the list could be endless! At least out here a 10 year old car isn't a rat...we're so healthy out here, even our roads don't eat salt!

Percy , here is how it is . When I was a young kid ( looong time ago ) We lived about 30 miles east of Flint MI . Both my Grandfathers worked and retired from G.M. One for Oldsmobile and One for Buick . When I was just a pup , my Dad worked for Chevrolet to subsidize the farm and even back then for the insurance . All my Uncles and a few Aunts and a lot of good friends and neighbors worked for G.M. , For Olds , Buick , Pontiac and Chevrolet . A good share of my cousins work for G.M. One is even a engineer for G.M.

I have never drove ANYTHING but a G.M. product . I have had G.M. and Chevrolet pickups . Have Had a Chevrolet , 2 Olds , a Pontiac , and last , the Buick car that got wrecked .
              Now isn't it quit obvious what we bought ?????

We bought a 11/2 year old Nissan Murano !!
              Before we got hit I would have NEVER even thought about jumping the fence . The rental place rented us a Nissan Murano . Holy Crap were we impressed . Put about 1500 miles on it before we got home and were sold . The transmission is so smooth , its a CVT tranny . Comfort and safety is the tops and it is highly rated for reliability .
              Yup A Nissan Murano . Pretty sure I'll be shunned and disowned by the family . Sure hope it holds up and lasts or I'll never live it down .

Comment

• We have got almost 2 in. of rain in the last 24 hours . We were plenty wet before this rain and now are swimming again . Our growing season is very limited here in da U.P. and is getting shorter fast . It was a long hard winter and so far a wet , COLD spring .We are going to need a exceptional summer and late fall to get a descent crop .
                Haven't let the fire go out yet this spring , not even for a day .

Comment

• Turned the heat up tonight myself! We did have the AC on though for a couple days.
                  I have been trying my best to get my inlaws to visit from Seattle. It always turns off hot when they come!

Comment

• We were doing great till this last round of the wet chit. 2in was way to much. we got 720ac of beans in and just started corn/60ac done. popcorn,beets ,some sweet corn and safflower is in also.
                    it;ll be a few days now brfore we gey going again.
                    splellingg iss bad this am cant fund my glaasses

Comment

• Hope you find yer glasses soon, so you can see if you're losing yer arse! Here I thought 'normal' farmers planted corn 1st, then beans. What gives up your way?

Comment

• We got about an inch over the 2 days. Fields were wet before the rain.. This is the first years since 1967 that I'm not actively growing crops. flower planting and drinking cold ones. This is the worst year in my memory for getting spring work done.

In 1992 my wife talked me into going with her to Alaska. My mother was certain that I would back out at the last minute and stay home and farm. anyway all spring my mother kept saying that 'Hell would freeze over'' before I ever went on a vacation. The trip started on the Thursday after Fathers Day and my mother reminded me of her prediction as we were all at my Dad's house enjoying a cookout and looking at all the dead corn fields that froze off the morning of Fathers day. It was all my fault My mother reminded me of how I screwed up a whole years income by going on vacation!

I don't remember the exact words she used about how the year would go if I ever retired. But judging how 2019 is going so far it could NOT have been a rosey outlook. If she's in heaven I'm certain she's telling my DAD

See, I TOLD YOU SO

Comment

• King , Looking at the view out our windows , you picked the perfect year to retire the tractors and planter . Your mom may say the crap weather is your doing , but at least you don't have a dog in the fight . Getting to where I wished I didn't . Water is standing every where here and more is predicted for Wednesday . Only 40 here so far and no big warm up predicted . About half my corn planted , the rest still in the bag . In the bag may be the best place for it .
                          I always used to look forward to spring , a new beginning , but now the investment is so huge and the returns so slim and iffy .I still enjoy the smell of fresh dirt , driving equipment , and watching crops grow but the huge risk has taken a lot of fun out of it .

Comment

• Then the wife reminds me we could have sold out at the high (2012) and retired before we started burning equity.
                            Then I look outside at the harvest equipment still waiting to be cleaned up and put away. After that it is kinda depressing!

Comment

• Supposed to get down into the mid 30s tonight . Not far from it right now at 40 . We did get into the low 50s today . Sure hope it warms up soon , June is almost here .

Comment

• We were talking about that today. the locals are still keeping the fires lit all day. I takes 30 minutes for the truck to warm up in the morning. T shirt, flannel shirt and insulated sweatshirt is not enough!
                                Sounds like a nice march day!

Comment

Working...
                                X