From the Weather Office ECI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peeler GTFB View Post
    Went with farmgirl to Duke's donut shop yesterday morning. They were asking when he would be here so they could ramp up production.
    Glad to here from you folks. I thought when Panama City Beach took on all that water last year, that maybe your raft sprung a leak and...Right now, here, freezing rain, ugly roads, but we have power.

Comment

• You may laugh and smerk thems dems damn good donut

Comment

• Who is laughing ???
        I was hoping you was gonna bring me back a care package from the donut shop when you came home . lol .

Comment

• well Duke ,there goes your diet...……………………..just saying

Comment

• and back to the NW...any more information on this PERCY?

More than 1,800 dairy cows
            And here you thought there was a limit of one bovine SigDig per week. A “freak” blizzard in Washington state killed more than 1,800 dairy cows. The storm was forecast to bring three to five inches of snow, but brought up to two feet and wind gusts up to 80 mph. A dozen or so farms were affected and the loss is equivalent to millions of dollars. [NBC News]

Comment

• Percy here. Yakima, Sunnyside, are in what we call Eastern Wash., 250 miles southeast of us. This area, on the eastern slopes of the Cascades, is a desert...8 inches of rain/yr. Many dairies over there have corrals with sunshades, no provisions for what hit them. Apparently what happened was the cattle all huddled into a corner with their butts to the wind, and this instinct was so overpowering that there was no way man or machinery could separate this "scrum", and they suffocated, trampled themselves. This statistic doesn't include frozen teats. Didn't South Dakota lose quite a few beef animals to a freak Oct. storm some years ago? Now these dairies could milk 100 more cows with $10.000 investment. I have a comment that says 'there are 5 days every 15 years that makes us all equal'. A blizzard, heat/ humidity, flood, hurricane...you add to the list. 3 times in an average adults life. This will be the death for some farmers, getting kicked while you're already down.

Comment

• Thanks PERCY, the "news media" wasn't clear as to even where in Washington.

Marilyn and I were discussing your post over lunch today, and I reminded her that in MY memory, WE, and that includes before she was in the picture and I was still in
                high school, have lost 2 head of livestock to lightning...the second one was during a time of NOT good income/the normal farming-livestock game...anyway, the bank
                had some skin in the game and wanted me to put lightning insurance on all our cattle, when I not politely explained to the four lettered and several words, that I had
                checked, and with our "average" loss, and the cost of insurance, we could lose 1 head a year and be ahead of the game without insurance. Now due to climate
                change...ummmmm...that might NOT be an adequate way of looking at the picture, several neighbors have lost several head in recent years to lightning.

Yes, the storm in the Dakotas, a few years ago, and ONE poster upset because the cowboys didn't take care of their cattle the way he would have... lol

well, to stay with the thread...a glaze on everything after 0.6 inch of snow yesterday melting 0.05, all the way up to 17؛F now 12:30 ct
                chance of more moisture, mostly wintry mixes all next week...OH dang, there is still milo in the fields, too! The last time I looked, still
                a good chance on about half of it, the other has way more heads ON the ground...nor a vacuuming machine operator! Probably be
                a little musty time it get to the elevator????

Comment

• Beautiful day here in NW NC Kansass, when you look through the window or windshield.

Some floating clouds bright sunshine and a cooling nort breeze dusting the white "stuff" around, 20؛F

Reports of black ice on I 70 yesterday, I never made it to black top, the county "rock" roads were a glazed surface made for slide offs!

Comment

• 26 degrees here right now . Its amazing how much daylight we have gained already on both ends of the day . Its also amazing how much power and warmth the sun has got when it does shine .
                    Getting ready to leave in about half hour on another tater run . About 500 miles or so and we're there . Weather and the roads looks good at this time , but , here in Michigan that can all change with a little shift in the winds . Time to saddle up .

Comment

• some lt snow here, calling for 3-5" now . just looked at the radar and it looks like the heavyest will stay north of , be careful Dan ;looks like you will have to plow snow at some place to get to the south land

Comment

• PCB FL. sunny 70degrees thank God no snow just getting ready to go play a round of golf

Comment

• a little difference... got a text from I 55, 9 inches around somewhere, Iowa... lol

The forecast isn't good for traveling here by Tuesday, and it's FFA week, so WE took the cookies to town late this afternoon, Marilyn needed some more things
                          from the grocery store, I waited in the vehicle...a LONG high side 3 axle hopper bottom trailer came from the nort and headed west...looked like a weed burner
                          special will be needed if it doesn't warm up or he doesn't have a warm up shed, not the worst build up, but NOT good either!

Stay safe!

Comment

• We got 8 +, depending on who you listen to. Supposed to get 5-6 tomorrow. People are having a hard time finding a place to put it!
                            But the bright side is after I bladed the neighbors drive they sent over some fresh cinnamon rolls!
                            I can't wait for the next snow!

Comment

• This seems to be the winter that don't stop giving .
                              We had -17 below this morning . Supposed to get a hand off from IADave , another snow storm for tomorrow . Thanks . We really don't need it . A lot of people including self , are starting to worry about building roofs around here . AND , another storm may be hitting here Sunday into Monday . I am starting to look a little smarter though as I plow the snow waaaayyyy back . My neighbors give me chit all the time about how much area I plow and how far away I push it . Well , I hate walking thru snow and it makes it easier to get around with the semis with a large area plowed . Now when they are all worried about where to put the snow , they are looking at my driveway and saying , Dan ain't quite as dumb as we thought !!
                              Maybe if somebody brought me fresh cinnamon rolls I'd be happier about all the snow .
                              Good Neighbor friends are leaving town tomorrow for Arizona . Think I'd try to leave today with the storm forecast for tomorrow . Wife says we should be heading south too . I told her we do , at least twice a week with a load of taters . I had to duck as something was threw my way and there was a lot of growling coming from her corner .

Comment

• supposed to be 70 today but real windy, I was asked by someone if I was going golfing my reply was I didn't come down here to go bowling.
                                Dan if you value life at all I would go south alot farther than lower MI
                                Teressa , just come down by yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X