Buying a new pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new pickup

I have been looking at the new pickups at the local dealerships lately. Hopefully there will be a bunch of money left over from record milk prices last year. Can't talk to the salesmen until after I meet with the accountant about the taxes coming up in Feb. Don't want to start debating prices with them only to find out I can't buy one for 9 months or something like that.

Seems the f 150's and the Chevy Silverado's will cost about the same. I don't want to go "the bigger the better" route this time. I'm getting to old to care about how macho my truck looks. At this point I'll take a truck that I can slide into instead of climbing up into. I have to keep in mind that I want to keep the new truck till I am 60 years old. And I don't want to wreck another seat by catching a butt cheek on the edge of the seat and dropping to the ground over and over , day after day. And I don't want to have to get footing on running boards and hope my foot doesn't slip off. Not to mention trying to twist the left leg to get the right foot into the truck. Definitly to old to be dancing the hokey pokey with my pickup ! The running boards on my current f 150 are only 5 years old and have already given out. More from rust and scraping snow drifts than anything else (I hope).

Even the new trucks are too high in my opinion. I see all the older people are buying mid-sized suv's in this area. That includes my mother and my wifes mother. The reason is always the same- it's easy to get in and out. Since I am determined not to climb up running boards I have looked on the internet and see the other trend of lowering the trucks. At the extremes they call them "pebble pushers" or "laying it in the weeds". I am not going to that extreme , mine is a farm truck afterall. But on You Tube a television show called Truck U showed lowering a f 150 for an older customer who wanted to use it as a daily driver just like I do.

One other thing I have been wondering about. Since the new f 150 is made with aluminum body panels it should not rust as bad , right. I know road salt can corrode aluminum but it probably should be slow white and powdery. But if the aluminum had as big an advantage against corrosion as I would be hoping for - why isn't Ford bragging about it? Not one word about aluminum being rust resistant anywhere in their adds anywhere. If my farm truck could go for fifteen years without rusting out I would be hollering from the tree tops if I were Ford.
    Last edited by RON11; 01-29-2015, 07:55 AM.

So why don't you find a used 'rat' that has the seating you want, and then go buy a good used one from 'no salt' country? 15yr.old ones are still rust free out here in rainland.

Comment

I'm Thinking aluminum thing is more about weight reduction than answer too rust problem.

John

Comment

I am going to buy new just to treat myself.Always bought used in the past. But this time I'm going to get those brand spanking new miles and not just the used miles. Considering that no dealership is willing to pay anything for a farm truck that has over 100,000 miles it is a lot more frugal to buy used and drive the wheels off instead of buying new and giving it away with 120,000 miles. That's how many miles it will have in 15 years. But I really want to get one new , the way I want it and I can probably afford it now.

John you seem to be right in line with Ford seeing how they aren't talking about rust proof. As you say they are touting the weight and gas milage and higher load capacity.Since I seem to get mud under my truck and end up rusting it out if I do get aluminum I will have to just hope. If it rusts from mud the aluminum should work great ! But if it rusts from road salt hopefully it will be real slow. If it rusts through just as fast I guess I can't blame Ford since they didn't claim it would. Guess I should be careful about paying too much for aluminum. We'll see what the prices look like . At first look the prices look similar.
        Last edited by RON11; 01-29-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Ron, are you still taking pain medications for the shoulder? When my uncle had his knee replaced, the doctor told him not to make any big financial decisions until he was off of the pain meds. Never heard that before and he seemed ok to me the whole time I did his chores. Just saying.

Comment

4450 you might be onto something there. Wasn't looking to buy a truck before surgery. I'm gonna do nothing but look for a couple of months at least. Just to make sure.

Comment

You might do like I did years ago. My pickup had around 400,000 on it and was getting breezy in the cab. I looked and looked for one to suit me at a good price. Finally I head out the door for the 6 hour drive to go get it. I figured if I wasn't afraid to go that far in mine it was alright for a while longer!

Comment

We are also looking at a new truck... probably won't get one until next year or maybe the year after by the looks of this year. I do like the new Fords. Given how we'll use the truck it will be a chasis purchase, put a flatbed on it, and keep it as bare bones as possible. We will be replacing our 1990 Ford F250 that we bought brand new... it now has 130,000 miles on it. Yes, that is right... 130,000 miles. It is starting to rust around the wheels and some on the hood. Knowing how cheap I am I will just buy a used truck and put a flatbed on it... but finding a F-350 used that isn't beat to he!! is tough. Even F-250s are kinda hard to come by and a F-150 just isn't enough truck for how we use it.

Ron, you shouldn't get any rust on your vehicle for at least the first 15 years if you regularly wash and wax it. I also drive a 2000 Honda Civic and it has no rust at all, but I do wash and wax regularly. I'd think the aluminum would be less prone to rust/corrosion but it shouldn't matter either way. I do agree with you about rising the truck or getting a bigger one though. I kinda laugh to myself when a new F-150 pulls up next to me when I'm in the 1990 F-250 farm truck and the new one makes mine look small.
                [URL="http://www.facebook.com/DiederichFarm"]DiederichFarm[/URL]
                "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Comment

Originally posted by 4450 View Post
                  Ron, are you still taking pain medications for the shoulder? When my uncle had his knee replaced, the doctor told him not to make any big financial decisions until he was off of the pain meds. Never heard that before and he seemed ok to me the whole time I did his chores. Just saying.
                  Well 4450 - I thought you had an interesting point. I told my wife about the idea that maybe being on pain meds could cloud a persons financial decisions. She is a surgical nurse and says she was not aware of that side affect. BUT I somehow misplaced the pain meds . I don't know how it possibly happened since I kept them on the kitchen counter next to the telephone. After a day without them and after a lot of excruciating shoulder pain I have come to the conclusion that buying a new truck was a goofy idea. I believe my thinking has become a lot clearer. I have a little less than 100,000 miles on my old truck. Some guys have 400,000 miles on theirs ! My truck has a little rust along the bottom edge while some farmers have holes in theirs. But in my defense I am in Wis. and holes in your cab up here can can be life threatening in our winters. LOL. I was going to lower the new truck because the old one is too damn high , now I decided to do that to my old one. I see it has a two inch riser block in the back so step one should be easy.

I still have not found my missing Oxycodone. But on the bright side while my pain is way up - at least my wife has been in a really good mood ! She hasn't complained about her aches and pains for a day or two ! Makes my misery easier. BUT bad news. My wife says since I won't be using the extra money for a new truck she's going to buy a new car. Now instead of me spending hours and hours on the web studying pick-ups she spends hours studying cars. She does complain that I ain't helping her find the best new car. But I learned that if I don't want to be accused of "picking the car I wanted instead of the best car for her" it is best to stay out of the decision completely. And besides , my truck is 16 years old and her car is only 5 years old.Seems like a poor financial decision to me !
                  On top of that she ain't looking for a $20,000 dollar car she's looking at $30,000 cars ! I think that is a bad financial decision and I don't know where it came from. I'll update when we buy something .

Well I'm going to look around for the pain meds again. Where o where could they have gone ?????
                  Last edited by RON11; 02-03-2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

First off, around here ron, that pain killer you are on is one that is a prime target of thieves. So maybe you didn't misplace them at all. Second of all, I think you should tell your wife that while you are on pain killers, neither of you should make any big financial decisions, pu or car. Now from my point of view, if you're going to replace one or the other, I would say the 5 year old car has a lot less chance of dollaring you to death than a 17 year old pickup. (I'm driving an 18 year old pickup, so some experience there). Plus if you are going to start messing around trying to lower yours, etc., you just as well put that effort and money toward something you like. Around here there are always some nice, late model used ones with low miles for quite a bit less than new. If you wanted to upgrade to something nicer without spending for brand new. fwiw.

Just a thought. You said your pain pills are missing. Since you've quit taking them, you've given up on buying a new pickup. But since your pills have been missing, your wife has been in a good mood and considering a new car. Do you see anything odd about all of that, lol?
                    Last edited by 4450; 02-03-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Sounds to me like free Oxy oughta be part of the ACA-. I see a lot of economic stimulus could be had. lol.
                      “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Life insurance premium(s) paid up to date....

Comment

Well, Ron, Did you get your pickup? Did you wife get new wheels?

Comment

I had no intentions of buying a new vehicle this year... my wife had other thoughts and now we have a Ford Fusion hybrid. No truck for the farm this year!!
                            [URL="http://www.facebook.com/DiederichFarm"]DiederichFarm[/URL]
                            "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Comment

WOW, A hybrid even! You are a gluten for punishment!

Comment

Working...
                              X