Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Health Crisis

American Farmers Confront a Mental Health Crisis

us old Farmers are tough I lived through one of circuses before and came out with a bunch of ruffled feathers I am hoping not again-----------------------dave-----------------boy their is all kind of stuff today
    -----------------
    American Farmers Confront a Mental Health Crisis
    (Bloomberg) -- The worst agricultural downturn since the 1980s is taking its toll on the emotional well-being of American farmers.
    In Kentucky, Montana and Florida, operators at Farm Aid’s hotline have seen a doubling of contacts for everything from financial counseling to crisis assistance. In Wisconsin, Dale Meyer has started holding monthly forums in the basement of his Loganville church following the suicide of a fellow parishioner, a farmer who’d fallen on hard times. In Minnesota, rural counselor Ted Matthews says he’s getting more and more calls.
    “Can you imagine doing your job and having your boss say ‘well you know things are bad this year, so not only are we not going to pay you, but you owe us’,” Matthews said by telephone. “That’s what’s happened with farmers.’’
    Glutted grain markets have sparked a years-long price slump made worse by a trade war with top buyer China. As their revenues decline, farmers have piled on record debt -- to the tune of $427 billion. The industry’s debt-to-income ratio is the highest since the mid 1980s, when Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp organized the first Farm Aid concert.
    So dire are conditions in farm country that Senator Joni Ernst, an Iowa Republican, and Senator Tammy Baldwin, a Wisconsin Democrat, pushed for mental-health provisions to be included in the 2018 Farm Bill. The legislation allocated $50 million over five years to address the shortfall of such services in rural areas.
    Ernst said she spoke with a woman whose farmer husband died by suicide. While there’s been progress on a trade resolution, the ruckus “has been very, very hard on our farmers,” she said in a telephone interview. “We’ve had such a depressed farm

Dave, Here I thought you were going to start talking about the mental crisis in the liberal presidential field. Damm Would have been more fun than typing about farmers who have lost everything and now are unable to face the unknowns of their future. Too bad that counselling won't solve the problem. Even prayers seem destined to fail. I suppose we could blame Trump. He's responsible for everything else.

In reality 16 beans and 8 corn is more to fault than anything else. What goes up must come down. Something like the Laws of gravity. Too bad Newton was buying farm inputs. Other than fertilizer everything we buy keeps going up and up But what we get is already past the porcelain vortex and into the septic system

Comment

$3.50 corn $8.50 beans are plenty if the imputes were down 2.60-80 corn seed and $52-60 ben seed hurt bad and that Dam n chemical some $35 dollars a acre per trip then put some new iron on it 425 for a combine and you stat pulling you hair out this is on dirt firming Diary is worse I one time saw a lady in her 50s hang her self because she was about to loose the family farm that was hers since being home steadied this was in the 80s it was a lt worse then by far try this on for size $850.000 for a cotton picker that is just unfadeable or how ever you say it just does not compute-------I sold my last cotton crop for $.72 a pond that's more than it bring today 40 years ago------------------dave

Comment

The similarities between what I see now and what I saw in the 70's and early 80's is that the pain is to a large extent self inflicted. Just like back then, when crop prices spiked and guys had some money to spend, things got wild. And that's fine if you're just spending the money you've got in your hand. But many I guess thought the good times were here to stay and now are in a bind. You can blame what ever you want, but ultimately the buck stops with the person who signed the note. It's not that I don't feel sorry for anyone who's in a bind, but like Dad used to say, just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it right. Just because land doubled in price in a short few years, doesn't mean it was worth it. I guess my attitude is because I farmed with older equipment, always drove older vehicles, lived most of my life in an old house, lived within my means. Now when I hear some of these guys moaning who haven't, I find it a little hard to feel sympathy for them.

Comment

this ordeal is now forecast to run into summer and streach even into my area the low grounds of the Mississippi will not be planted this year some excellent high yielding ground this to add t the misery north west of us and spring started today wow-----------------------------------dave

Comment

The up-lift was driving nort yesterday morning, looking across some milo stalks into what is known as "the lagoon" from nearly a century of plowing up to it throwing up a berm
            the un-intended result was a dam that water could run into but not out...and was NOT a wet land determination by the nrcs...had water standing the day before, NO standing water
            as of yesterday, neighbor got stuck driving into field to see what an eagle was eating...long tow rope and some tracks!

Comment

Local farmers help out fellow farmers in need in Nebraska

One of the biggest problems with mental health for farmers is the feeling of not having ant value in your community. My local Pioneer dealer and a good friend started this around here
              Farmers in this area really are short on hay, but if we can help.

EDGAR, Wis. (WSAW) -- The devastation in Nebraska has inspired area farmers to help out by sending them some much needed hay.

Steve Kloos saw the devastation in Nebraska first hand when he got stuck down there last week. "All the roads were out and the flooding was going on and I sat down there for a day. When I was finally able to leave crossing some of the fields that should've been fields were lakes," explained Kloos.

When Kloos finally got back to Wisconsin he decided to help, "So I sent out some text messages to friends mostly farmers in the area and within an hour we had a load of hay ready. Within two hours we had two loads of hay and there's another truck coming."

Kevin Iczkowski is one of those local farmers that answered the call. "There is no hay in Marathon County to be had and if there is it is very expansive. Steve Kloos got on the phone and filled a semi. It's very very humbling," Iczkowski explained.

These farmers will start the nine hour drive to Nebraska once the trucks are loaded up with hay. "Some of the best people you know live out there so if we can lend a helping hand because if we had the same issue here we would have Nebraska trucks heading here," said Kloos.

Comment

mother nature sure does find ways to throw farmers a curveball especially when every farmer are penciling in 200bu+ corn and 50-60 bu beans into future production paying 300.00 rent, after being spoiled for the past 6-8 years of perfect growing conditions for the vast majority. Sucks to be told to store your crop by elected officials because they are putting the screws to you politically on the world stage and things will get better. Show them your bins blowing up after a flood, that will give them new meaning to hardship! Trend yields will be imploding this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom In Ont View Post
                  mother nature sure does find ways to throw farmers a curveball especially when every farmer are penciling in 200bu+ corn and 50-60 bu beans into future production paying 300.00 rent, after being spoiled for the past 6-8 years of perfect growing conditions for the vast majority. Sucks to be told to store your crop by elected officials because they are putting the screws to you politically on the world stage and things will get better. Show them your bins blowing up after a flood, that will give them new meaning to hardship! Trend yields will be imploding this year.
                  Russian? Trouble maker ? You can't pizz and moan about a (supposedly) neighboring country's politicians for eight straight years and then start pizzing and moaning when the opposite politicians get in charge. Good thing you put it in the "Mental Crisis" thread because that IS where it belongs. Russian ? Trouble maker ?? My bet is Russian Trouble-maker !! As dad would say --"Mind your own business if you have nothing constructive to say" After your butting into US politics for 8 years and whining either way it might be time for you to think first.

Comment

saw the next few weeks forecast it we are to have frost the first of April along with several cold wet spells with a lot of flooding the misery just keeps coming---------------------------------------------------------------------------------dave

Comment

Gee Ron, I chime in with something constructive, and you like a good Leftard goes into some Russian thingy just like Trumps falsehood collusion bullchit.Its the Russians!!!!!!! As expected.......

Comment

ronny pizzed off but how! now that the Mueller investigation has ended...and a judge will re-write what HE interprets as what was originally written in report...and sealed to the public...

so We did moan and groan for 8 years of obuma, now it's your turn...hahaha, admitting to 2020 President Trump re-election already hahaha

NOW maybe Clinton, Obuma and Soros will get there just rewards from h e l l.

Comment

As a liberal dairy farmer with pastured cows getting ready for for mud season, Ron knows that he can't stand the agony of de feet

Ron will blame and whine until the cows come home and then rehearse his posts while doing the chores. The most obvious concern about the mental health crisis is that the democrats are f--kin nuts

Comment

Ron a bit of advice for a leftist person in quite a flutter that just doesn't quite understand, an unusual amount of common sense is sometimes called wisdom, something of which you totally are devoid of.Constructive criticism is ok if you utilize your thoughts without blathering that creates ad nauseum.

Comment

https://genesiustimes.com/millions-o...3cY_-5Rz3k-IfU

It's about like getting ganged up on, now what does that feel like? LMAO

Comment

Working...
                              X