No announcement yet.

The constitution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're lucky Dave. The family farm I work for is too big to only hire relatives. And there are not enuff of them. My nephews are gradually working into a management role so now I work for the nephews. I have no grand kids Never will. So i gotta treat the ole girl good and occasionally be nice to the younger generation family farm since 1886

Comment

I wish I could hire family. I have 2 nephews that are pretty good if it is emergency to come but have no skills, nor the desire to get them. They told me they are going to college and don't have to do the kind of work I do. I have a grandson that is the same.
      It is a shame as without them there is no next generation to farm.
      My nephews did come out one day to help on a tractor. It was an insurance deal and I was paid what the dealer was going to charge. Service call and all. I told the boys to come out and they could have the money. Plus I would help them and furnish equipment and tools. Ended up being $90 each for 5 minutes work. I was told I was lucky they came. I probably was as I waited several months for them.

Comment

have a long line a coming with 5 boys I now have 14 grand kids 7 of each all not afraid of work I saw to that girls included-----------------------dave

Comment

Raised 3 girls. None afraid of work , including dirty work.

Oldest was born extremely premature with certain limitations. She is our calf grower. Does her job exactly as she was taught many years ago. She also takes the time and patience to "mother' those calves. Surprisingly it makes a really big difference in how the calves turn out and how easily they are to work with when they calve. Now that I'm getting older and am doing a 72 stall barn myself it is so important that I have heifers that handle easily and learn to be milked without much trouble. Any age is too old for hard to handle cattle !

My second oldest daughter is in her third year at UW Madison. Along with her studying she had chose to work even though it wasn't necessary.As a freshman she applied for a job at US Forage Research. Got the job even though she had no experience taking or processing DNA samples. I guess they were impressed during the interview process when they were taken to the barn she didn't avoid the cow alleyways and didn't react to the smells .No tiptoeing for her ! I guess you can teach lab processes but once a spoiled prissy - always a spoiled prissy. They taught her to take stomach bio samples from test calves when those calves were being slaughtered at the packing plants. Earlier those calves stomachs were "cleaned out" and replanted with more favorable bacteria to see if cattle could be made more productive. Results : for yet unknown reasons the animal tends to revert back to it's original balance of digestive microbes. interesting. .........As her 3rd year of collage nears the end she had left that job and is working for the hospital as she also prepares for Med. School entrance exams. Good Luck to her. If she doesn't get in she plans to go on to be physician assistant. Work like a doctor for half the pay ? She says it's enough money either way.

Youngest daughter is freshman , also at UW Madison. She's interests at this time is in engineering. She has so many grants and scholarships she not only doesn't have to pay for college tuition , room board , etc. she IS PAID to go. She has money left over and lucky for her not all the grants and scholarships are directed (specified to direct expenses). She , like her older sister , chose to get a job. Her job is in the UW Horticulture Dept. doing lab work on potato research. Pays well , good work experience and keeps her occupied. I'm happy with that.

It seems every generation thinks the next one is going down hill. I asked my mother if her parents were anti rock and roll. She said they were strongly in the "devils music" group. Seems like if we got through the 60's just fine we'll get through anything ! In my experience the next generation is going to be just fine. No , they aren't going to do mind numbing , dirty or soul sucking jobs. But not because they are too spoiled but mostly they are intelligent and are finding ways to CHANGE THE JOBS. I am more thankful that the next generation seems to care more about each other including strangers and other countries than many of the older generation. We ,and They , have brighter prospects because of it. Very optimistic
          Last edited by RON11; 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

you should be proud ron.............also dwell in the reality that your kids are in a big minority, as farm raised kids, taught to contribute and work, are in a tremendous minority to those raised on video games and dependency of others existing to do for them..

Comment

video games are not in The constitution but are sure a nascence to some and a boon to a few when my bunch was growing up we would not let them play the games unless their chores were done and then not at length I put it their heads it was time wasted now you can receive a career doing it as the ARMY is recreating video nerds to run their Drone fleet-------------------------------------------------dave

Comment

I am very Troubled again this morning --What would another shut down do to the economy how about your operation I will survive here beyond a few lost opportunities on what is closed government employees will be hurt the worst I see it coming plain as day this fall or winter the divide is great and growing The constitution is in trouble this round I sid before their was going to be fighting in the streets it will intensify---------------------dave

Comment

ROn, It does make me happy that your daughter is considering medical school. With the experience and hard work she will have no trouble with medical school. I would certainly discourage the the thought of physician assist, or nurse practioner. they are way out of they're league and I work with a no of them. I spend part of my time affirming or correcting them. For her own self esteem she should be the real thing. .My daughter is an o b gyn in n y c. I was the first in my family to become a m d.. Now there is a no of them in my family and more to come. It is far from easy, but well worth the time and effort.. Tell Her I congratulate her.Noble L Ballard M D

Comment

Ron, At times I may disagree slightly with your political leanings And neither of us are very likely to change

But

I have known of many of your family members. You grew up with a father and a family that lived and breathed farming. You guys were all well respected. years ago I sold my to Cherry Grove Cheese and did too much business with AA Bunge All businesses long gone. in fact you may not even remember them. My family farms to Joe Bergs land south of Edgar. another of you old neighbors

Congratulation on raising a good hard working family. I'm certain they will continue the old family tradition of success

Comment

the protests have started just like the Nam era not long before the shooting starts---------------------------dave--------------PHOENIX - Two students at the University of Arizona will be charged with misdemeanors after a video showing them protesting a Customs and Border Protection event on campus went viral, UA President Robert Robbins announced Friday.
                      Last edited by davidm479; 04-03-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Wow , you sure know my neighborhood. Brings back memories.I still remember watching old man Bunge and that little old lady driving past our farm every couple of days. I remember they had a A A BUNGE pointed sign near the turn on Hwy H near our farm. I know the farm we grew up on since I was 13 was "the Bergs Farm" but I'm not sure if that was Joe Bergs. I remember the old man who owned our "Bergs Farm" before us had kidney disease and was on dialisis. I bet Joe Bergs was on the East side about a mile north. I did have some dealings with the son Dennis who ran a shop for some time on that farm.

As you already know our Bergs farm was along the south side of Cherry Grove Cheese factory. Dad told me how when he bought the Bergs Farm the milk was going to Cassel Garden Cheese. The original Riehle Farm (1 mile north -1 .5 miles west - 1 mile north from Bergs Farm) was selling to Pine Valley. Dad saw Cassel was paying more (or maybe Pine Valley was closing ?) so he asked Cassel Garden to pick up both farms but they wouldn't because they were full and there was a list of farmers wanting to get in. Cherry Grove , Ervin Jagodzinski - was looking for milk so dad went there with the original Riehle Farm. After some time dad felt the Cherry Grove was paying less and it really bothered dad. So what did he do ? When the Cassel Garden milkman came to the Bergs Farm to pick up milk Dad told him "I talked to the factory and they said I should tell you to pick up the other farm too from now on." Well , the milkman did. Later that afternoon Dad got a call from Cassel Garden Cheese factory and they said "I know what you did." Dad said "Sorry about that. Is it alright ?" They said "Yeah , it's alright. Quite a gutsy move but it's ok. Just wanted you to know that I know. We'll be there from now on.ha" Dad said he was really worried but that over the long run it was a really good move. He was proud of himself for that.

Funny how things bring back old memories. Funny how we always named our farms dad bought and added by the previous owners name. We had the Home Farm which was the original homesteaded farm by my great-grandparents -Kulas. Then Grandpa added Raun Farm (NW on corner of Lovers Lane and Partridge Rd. Oh yeah , Lovers Lane was appropriately named since the road is only a couple of miles long , west end is never used and it was a half mile from a town that had dance halls , bars , etc. , etc. I remember Dad taking that road home once and a young man waved us down because his car battery was dead. That is what happens when you park on Lovers Lane and "listening to the radio" with a girl. We jumped his battery and today I buy my corn from him (Randy Witucki). Of course that town died like so many in rural America.

I almost forgot , dad added Witucki Farm , Berres Farm , Bergs Farm and lastly the Morse Farm. Although dad only bought the chunk in Poniatowski. Kind of strange how each of those once were a families farm , livelyhood and probably with pride and hopefully joy. Time keeps marching on. Dad was right "Nobody gives you any credit for your herd the day after the sale. Same goes for the rest of the farm." I guess it all becomes somebody elses.

Comment

Doc Ballard - Now I am going to be hoping she does well on entrance exams and gets into med school. Gave it a lot of thought and decided not to tell her what I learned from you. I already know she will be doing her very best. She puts more than enough pressure and expectations on herself , she don't need more from me. I on the other hand will be hoping it works out for her. Thanks docballard.

Something interesting happened - you all know how I said the youngest daughter is going to college for engineering. I said "They were paying her to go since her scholarships were outpacing her expenses" ? Well coming in with the mail last night I saw she had what looked like a check coming from our local high school. These days we send our girls there checks by taking a picture with a cell phone and emailing it to them.They then email it to their bank. So anyways , I open it up and she gets another $3,300 scholarship from the wealthy widow who used to own Marathon Cheese Corp. She didn't even apply for that. Just needed to be valedictorian for local school last year. How come that never happens to me ? Then again - I wasn't valedictorian . ha
                          Last edited by RON11; 04-05-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Ron.Anytime your daughter would like to talk I would be more than happy to talk to her. I can think of no better calling than going to be a Dr. I love what I do and have been doing it for 50 years. will not retire. Sounds like up your daughters ahve their head on right. My daughter is a doctor in N Y city. Sorry I have not been on line in a few days. could nopt get back on and had to set new password etc. will try to be more active. Too many meetimngs.

Comment

Doc Nice to have you posting. I've got a close neighbor whose grand daughter has been accepted into medical school. She got enough in scholarships to get a free ride. Really good young lady. Like her parents and grandparents who worked really hard as dairy farmers, she has that desire to succede.. That seems to be a trait that is less common among many non-farmers

Sometime logging on or posting on AW is a royal pain

Thats just the King's opinion

Comment

I'm glad to be back on. I have a real hard time getting on some times. Will try to be more active, but still full time doctor.

Comment

Working...
                                X