a phraze in time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a phraze in time

glad I was not taught by a looser Teacher my first eight grades were the most learning years they had a black veil with a white habit and used a golden rule and knew how to swig it --------------------dave -----

My first 8 years of edjucation was also from a a bevy of crow like women [I guess]. They used their rulers freely and often. I really enjoyed school. The nuns did a good job. Now the school is nearly empty and the few classes are taught by lay people. Our little town is a bedroom community There used to be 5 taverns, 3 churches feed mills hardware store implement dealer, a big veal slaughter facility and many other small businesses And the High School had about 350 students. Now. 1 tavern no feed mills, no hardware stores 1 good grocery store [lucky us] and a dying silo and farm repair shop [Menonite] and a 150 students in the high school.

My little town has double the people that lived here 40 years ago, but no business. We are a bedroom community and the bedrooms aren't even very busy.

I realize that everything looks better in the rear view mirror, but life in a small community has certainly changed

Comment

King, make sure your using the passenger side mirror. "Objects in your mirror are closer than they appear)
      Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

Gosh King, how do you know the bedrooms aren't very busy, lol? Never mind, don't answer that. My only experiences with the nuns were at Saturday catechism school, Guess I don't remember any real strict/mean ones. And the one young one use to safety pin her gown up around her knees and come out and run around with us kids at recess. That raised some eyebrows of the old gals. And Father Manzo. What a wonderful guy. Would take us boys down to zoo during summer school, then stop at Dairy Queen and buy us all ice cream I know the church is taking a lot of heat for the perverts and the cover ups, but don't paint it with a broad brush. There were some of those who left life lasting good impressions.

Comment

Boy o Boy did this thread bring back some memories , some good and some not so good . had alot of very small schools in our area. went to a one room school the first 4 grades only a mile away from the farm. walked to school most days. with the teacher. he lived right next door. was one of the strictest teachers I ever had. closed school down and we went to Cecil to a 1-6 grade. was happy I wasn't going to have Mr. Timm any more. sure as God made green apples walked in the 5th grade room and there sat Mr. Timm. what a joy.
          then went to Bonduel School 7-12. well a little bit intimadated by the big school and having 3 different teachers. had an English teacher that was a ***** of all *****es for no reason other than to make a point hit you with a ruler and a heavy wood one. sacred the hell out of everyone.
          well over that summer I did a lot of growing up mental wise not fisical. Mom and Dad never went on a vacation ever well that summer in July left for a month to go on a trip to Europe . I and my sisters had to milk a 100 cows and take care of everything.
          now back to 8th grade. first day of school in English class the ***** of all *****es comes over to my desk and snaps that ruler right over my knuckles. I grabed that ruler and broke in half and told if she ever did that again I would shove it up her azz broken ends first. WELLLLLLLLLLL! that eearned me a trip to the princples office the first day. but hey never said aother word to me all year and no ruler allowed in that class again. High school stories for another day

Sunflower Man

Comment

Your breaking the ruler story reminded me of a story Dad told of being in the army. I remember Dad was always a little short fused and evidently was so as a young man too. Was getting a going over by a higher ranking guy for what Dad thought was some mickey mouse reason. After just getting back from Korea he wasn't in the mood for it and told the guy to "go ahead and chew because I've got more arse than you've got teeth". He said that wasn't the thing he should have said, lol.

Comment

My dad and his 2 brothers walked about 1/4 mile to a 1 room schoolhouse south of Dunnell, MN in the 30's. (After doing chores)
              The teacher drove abut 10 miles from Sherburne. She opened the school and started the wood stove when necessary.
              Then she put the water pail on the stove to melt. After a while she went out to the well to fetch fresh water.
              She taught grades 1 thru 6 and he remembered her as nice but demanding.
              These days a union custodian with a boiler license would have to open the school and start the stove.
              Then a union cook would take care of the water. Finally the 6 teachers and their aids would show up.
              At that school it would have really helped if there was a German translator for some of the parents and especially the grandparents.

Comment

my dad could speak fluent German====================dave

Comment

My grandpa and his brother in Texas did business over he party line phone. They didn't care if the neighborhood news was listening either cause grandpa came from a part of Switzerland that had a dialect of German only his brother and him knew.
                  Kinda like here in USA with Indiana.
                  Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

NO-one had thought of ole gap tooth ECI until you bring that up fR!

Comment

Yeah, what would ECI sound like if he actually LIVED in Kentucky?!!!

Comment

would then need 479 to "deecyyfur" fir us...

Comment

anah What yea say------------dave

Comment

School Days--School Days!!! Dear 'ole school days!! I grew up in a Private School in a small rural area in Montana--our class size was in the 40+--some of the classes were split. When I was in the second grade--we had a Miss Bloem--she was an "old maid" straight off the Old Maid cards--even portrayed her looks and manners directly from that card!!! She was notorious for spankings, ear-pullings and slapping your face--oh my!!! I was on the receivership of one of her spankings--for erasing some answers--of course she thought that I had been cheating!!!
                            Anyway--as time moved on--the disciplines of the these school teachers changed because the kids spoke about these abuses to our parents. After several years this type of corporal punishment was outlawed but now has moved in the "bullying sessions" I hear all about this craze now!!! It is a sad situation when kids are on the receivership of this type of behavior from educators and from their fellow peers. This type of behavior has moved into a high rate of suicide victims among our very young children. It is a disturbing trend!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X