No announcement yet.

Fill up with E85 - Starve a Terrorist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP.......How much grain do you suppose was in that box of $ 7.09 crap. My guess is about $0.04. Fvcking greedy farmers!

Comment

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by misspenn</i>
      <br />Well all I know for sure is that a large box of cereal (crap-not rice/oats) was $7.08 at FOOD FOR LESS--ya right! What is the current minimum wage minus taxes in the US? Less than a box of cereal.

I agree that the food shortage is very serious and it seems that it will also affect our country--this above price is absolutely ridiculous---we cannot starve people to death with capital greed!

What bothers me is that we have the technology and the capital to make hydrogen cars and hydrogen plants--thats where our focus should be...not spending billions fighting with a country over oil.

I wish the world were a better place--our billions could be feeding the entire middle east, Africa and elsewhere. The world has to CHANGE alright--and it has nothing to do with US family values! I get your point Db--negotiation food for oil and it may come down to that but who's to say that the middle east will not further its understanding and availability to technology? Especially when US companies are waiting with anticipation in line to open business in the middle east -- once we have democapitalized it?

Az is not the only person in this country who sees the imbalance and manipulation of commodities and the decline of "the American Dream" as we know it. It will be a thing of the past, feel lucky that you were a part of it. This is a great nation---we need to start doing something great with it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
      For the record missy-------------------
      If the cereal was made using the grains or oilseeds below PURCHASED AT ALL TIME HIGH PRICES THE FARMER RECEIVED
      CORN - LESS THAN 10 PENNIES PER POUND
      WHEAT LESS THAN 20 PENNIES PER POUND
      SOYBEANS - LESS THAN 25 PENNIES PER POUND

The above is proof that the price of the ingredient has very little to do with the eventual price of the product. When corn prices doubled we added about a nickel to the cost of the corn in the box of cornflakes. Any price increases beyond that can not be blamed on grain prices. The cost of the corn has very little to do with the price of the corn flakes.

There is no free lunch.
      Milton Friedman (1912 - 2006)
      “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by misspenn</i>
        <br />Well all I know for sure is that a large box of cereal (crap-not rice/oats) was $7.08 at FOOD FOR LESS--ya right! What is the current minimum wage minus taxes in the US? Less than a box of cereal.

I agree that the food shortage is very serious and it seems that it will also affect our country--this above price is absolutely ridiculous---we cannot starve people to death with capital greed!

What bothers me is that we have the technology and the capital to make hydrogen cars and hydrogen plants--thats where our focus should be...not spending billions fighting with a country over oil.

I wish the world were a better place--our billions could be feeding the entire middle east, Africa and elsewhere. The world has to CHANGE alright--and it has nothing to do with US family values! I get your point Db--negotiation food for oil and it may come down to that but who's to say that the middle east will not further its understanding and availability to technology? Especially when US companies are waiting with anticipation in line to open business in the middle east -- once we have democapitalized it?

Az is not the only person in this country who sees the imbalance and manipulation of commodities and the decline of "the American Dream" as we know it. It will be a thing of the past, feel lucky that you were a part of it. This is a great nation---we need to start doing something great with it.

For the record missy-------------------
        If the cereal was made using the grains or oilseeds below and PURCHASED AT ALL TIME HIGH PRICES the farmer most likely received------
        CORN - LESS THAN 10 PENNIES PER POUND
        WHEAT -LESS THAN 20 PENNIES PER POUND
        SOYBEANS - LESS THAN 25 PENNIES PER POUND
        Please look at the weight on your box of cereal and compare.

The above is proof that the price of the ingredient has very little to do with the eventual price of the product. When corn prices doubled we added about a nickel to the cost of the corn in the box of cornflakes. Any price increases beyond that can not be blamed on grain prices. As you can see the cost of the corn in the corn flakes has very little to do with the price of the corn flakes.(same goes for the wheat in the Mini Wheats etc)

There is no free lunch.
        “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by db51</i>
          <br />MP.......How much grain do you suppose was in that box of $ 7.09 crap. My guess is about $0.04. Fvcking greedy farmers!

Db, I understand. Not necessarily blaming the farmers...but something has to give somewhere and this country should take advantage of its expertise in technology and stop trying to undermine the American intelligence by devising another scam--ethanol for their greedy little pockets.

Comment

I read a speech by Dick Bosselman, president of Bosselman Petroleum. If you ever drive down I-80, the BIG truck stop in Nebraska is the Bosselman #1.
            According to his estimates, as best I can remember, if there was NO ethanol, and he had to sell 100% pure gasoline, the price would be up somewhere between 60 & 75 cents per gallon.

If corn was $5.60 per bushel, which it is fairly close to, there would be a TOTAL of 10 cents of corn in a one-pound box of corn flakes, up from 4 cents a couple years ago.
            Personally, I'd rather pay 6 cents extra per box of corn flakes than 70 cents more per gallon of gas.
            I wonder where you are located? Perhaps the FREIGHT for hauling that box of cereal to where you live has gone up, and that is why your box of cereal is so expensive. If that is the case, maybe there isn't ENOUGH ethanol in the system to bring the FUEL prices down so you could pay LESS for that cereal. Either way, you are getting ripped off somewhere. I just bought a 14 ounce box of generic corn flakes for $1.75 here in central Nebraska, and I have gotten it on sale for $1.50 within the last month.
            The fuel cell technology probably is the way of the future, as are plug-in electric cars. But what do we do until then? I always say if you know a better way to do things, have at it. So far, most of the ventures I have tried as a 'better' way of doing things has fallen flat on its face.

Comment

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Farmr123</i>
              <br />I read a speech by Dick Bosselman, president of Bosselman Petroleum. If you ever drive down I-80, the BIG truck stop in Nebraska is the Bosselman #1.
              According to his estimates, as best I can remember, if there was NO ethanol, and he had to sell 100% pure gasoline, the price would be up somewhere between 60 & 75 cents per gallon.

If corn was $5.60 per bushel, which it is fairly close to, there would be a TOTAL of 10 cents of corn in a one-pound box of corn flakes, up from 4 cents a couple years ago.
              Personally, I'd rather pay 6 cents extra per box of corn flakes than 70 cents more per gallon of gas.
              I wonder where you are located? Perhaps the FREIGHT for hauling that box of cereal to where you live has gone up, and that is why your box of cereal is so expensive. If that is the case, maybe there isn't ENOUGH ethanol in the system to bring the FUEL prices down so you could pay LESS for that cereal. Either way, you are getting ripped off somewhere. I just bought a 14 ounce box of generic corn flakes for $1.75 here in central Nebraska, and I have gotten it on sale for $1.50 within the last month.
              The fuel cell technology probably is the way of the future, as are plug-in electric cars. But what do we do until then? I always say if you know a better way to do things, have at it. So far, most of the ventures I have tried as a 'better' way of doing things has fallen flat on its face.
              Good post Farmer123. There is less than 10 pennies worth of corn in your 14 oz box of corn flakes that when bought for "bargain" prices is prices at $1.50 per 14 oz. Those in the media(or some so called analysts at some so called "prestigious think tanks") that deny this very simple concept couldn't pass a grade school math test.

Typically higher priced crops eventually lead to food inflation. The inflation in prices of food that can be justified with higher priced crops is VERY modest.

For the record- counting from the recent high in corn prices, corn prices have inflated about 2% per year since the fall of 1975. The inflation over these years is very modest. The recent inflation in corn prices is what makes the price seem so high.

Maybe misspenn was quoting the price of some <s>ORGANIC</s> ORGASMIC Cereal. If they work as labeled they would be hard to keep in stock at even that price. Gotta go and check the cereal cabinet. Just realized that for some odd reason my wife and daughter have suddenly developed a taste for breakfast cereal and they seem to be in an unusually grand mood before they leave the house in the morning.

There is no free lunch.

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Is anyone aware of any studies done on what percent of the increase in food prices could be directly linked to the increased cost of transportation?

Comment

There are some Old budget sheets showing % of costs--I'm sorry, I can't get the thick head complex to allow me to come up with the correct dept.

However---coming back ;through town this afternoon---alll the stations had road fuel at 3.999-----

Guess when the crops prices get back down to what ever was "normal" and the consumer sees the price still high, it may become a crude oil thing after all to them.

Comment

Working...
                  X