2019 Marketing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steffy View Post
    The fire at a Ks tyson beef plant last week has caused a hugh financial boon to the packing industry,while cash crashed 5-$10 ,beef cutouts are up $22,packers are now making around $500/hd ,cash broke as there was a worry cattle would back up for lack of plant capacity to kill market ready cattle but USDA est cattle slaughter will be 6000 hd higher this week,the break looks overdone to me as worries seem over blown as other packers have incentives to add additional shifts and tyson will move cattle to other plants.This needs to be investigated as it smacks of price gouging/collusion
    I really don't have all the facts, but there are at the least, two different stories circulating, and how it could/should(?) be handled with currently operating plants...

Comment

• Originally posted by iadave View Post
      I checked some of my corn. I was surprised. Planted the first couple days of May in to ideal conditions. Best ground on the farm. Well drained. 87% of aph. Now 87% of aph isn't terrible but this is the best ground on the farm, planted into ideal conditions. on one of he best planting days of he year. I was expecting 125% or better.
      We are the garden spot of the U.S. this year. We even had rain during the dry spell.
      Its amazing how much the potential yield changes when we check the fields by hand instead of using satellite data. Usually I'm a proponent of using satellite data, but on years that are very out of the ordinary the models don't match up. I've never been so glued to the crop tour data.

Comment

• cattle slaughter last week was actually 9,000 hd above prior week,packers increased sat kill a bunch so much for backing cattle up slaughter wts continue to run below a year ago so lots are current

Comment

• my biggest fear is pro farmer will est potential as crop is so far behind and they will not comment on pp acres,harvested acres will have to be reduced quite a bit to really get trade attn

Comment

• Is it really going to matter what they estimate it at? Doubt that they would come in much above usda and whether they do or don't, will anything change much until after harvest is complete?

Comment

• After harvest, then we know about what the neighbors got, hopefully we know what we got, but the media will pick up on a story to make news...It's President Trumps fault,
              surely you know that, and I will move this to politics when news becomes news...

Comment

• bigggest thing so far from PF Tour is lack of maturity,alot of corn just in the blister,some fields could'nt be est as they had'nt pollinated yet,pod counts way off altho lots of blooms,the heck with an early frost an ave frost is going knock alot of bu off,local TV station says at the end of the 10 day old front will keep highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's not what a late crop needs and copious amounts of rain,forget about if the fat lady has sung she ain't even warmed up yet

Comment

• I've been randomly selected for the second straight year to have one of my fields as part of NASS/USDA survey. They sent a guy out to check the yield at a predetermined number of rows and paces. They are using probably my best field this year. On top of hill with no drowned out spots lots of manure. He comes hack in September and right before we harvest.

Talking to him he even says the last report was inaccurate from what he is finding out there plus he said the big jump in corn planting included PP acres because they didn't ask FSA what everyone certified to just farmer survey and yield was determined by satellite
                  Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

• Well i'm glad to hear they half a$$ed a report that influences millions of peoples lives and livelihoods. Nothing like throwing the wet noodles against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Comment

• So what's going on with wheat. Down almost a dollar locally just since June harvest. Basis isn't that bad for here. -40. Same ole too much wheat in the world or what? Great harvest going on somewhere? I told the guy who I normally schedule wheat cleaning with just to clean, not treat one trailer load that I'm going to plant for a cover. Told him I'd decide later whether or not I'm going to even plant any for harvest next year. At these prices, you can't even cheat and make it pencil. Or I can't anyway.

Comment

• 2019 seems like a tough year for all of agriculture. [except the people milking almonds and selling pee for a frying pan] Our crops look good especially soybeans. Corn is rather mixed and hay has been pretty scarce. But even though prices are up from spring, there is no money . When nice holstein heifer calves are selling for under $20 and springers for $750, profits are limited.

A few guy I know that grow soft red winter wheat were running about 110 bushels per acre,. but the price sux

Comment

• Weeeeell, attended a Farm Bill meeting last week...mainly discussing whether arc or w ever the p h u c k the other letters are,,,,we got a "survey sheet" at the beginning, and one question was about which program we chose and why...so I answered, took economists advice/advise AND "they" were wrong, THe price went down, and one actually admitted that she was younger 5 years ago and YES, the price went down.

The main "learning" was WHEAT price is the price of all the wheats, WE don't dare mix, co mingle, blend, but the government can do what ever the hell they want. What we originally thought was going to be in our favor was corn, and that yield included irrigation, you already know what happened when you combine totals, garbage in, garbage out.

It is nothing but job security by BOTH parties of our political system, keep people employed/occupied doing meaningless "work", much like during
                          blizzards in Kansas, when the NON-essential employees get to stay home...

Comment

• france had a record wheat crop and more exportable supplies,ukrain has more for export,as does arg.our $ also keeps the USA from being competitive as does freight.A for the next report would'ntt hold my breath as they will probably still measure potential.and acres won't be changed until oct at the earliest,doubt we get a true pic of actual prod untill jan.Here the last two days we have'nt hit 70 and have dipped into the 40's at night.and it's been cloudy,not what a crop thats behind needs,6-10 &8-14 has below temps for a big chunck of the corn belt,my corn is just stating to dent(barely)and bean pods are still very small and flat still a few blooms on top of the plant

Comment

• So I've got a little wheat left to sell. Is there any scenario where you see any chance of price rebounding some? At these prices, talking to guys locally, not much enthusiasm for planting wheat even though it's been mostly for rotational purposes anyway. First time in my 40+ years of farming I don't know if I'll plant any or not. I know since all mine will be planted after soybean harvest, the weather is going to have to be favorable for a decent planting date or I'm going to forget it.

Comment

• Its really hard to believe that wheat was higher priced 50 years ago than it is today. The old joke about the genie in the bottle granting the farmer $6 wheat, and his not taking it, is at least that old. Lets not talk about input costs, or machinery values, its too depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                X