No announcement yet.

2019 Marketing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I asked this question over on NAT and last I checked, hadn't gotten a reply so I'll ask it here. Many claim the tariffs we put on hurt us, not the Chinese. So if that's the case, shouldn't the tariffs the Chinese put on our stuff hurt them instead of us? And I was surprised to learn that before this tariff war started, China already had a tariff on our soybeans. I've read anywhere from 7% to 14%.
    But they didn't have a tariff on beans they got from SA. Now why would we want to continue with a deal like that?

Comment

• BECAUSE our politicians, farm, grain and livestock organizations do NOT want it known how much was left on the table for THEM when the original "treaties" were signed.

NOW in force, a business person, as President, who has business experience, and IS working for a Great America.

(it was going to be a dull week end) lol

Comment

• 4450, tariffs work like this: Trump imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum from our allies which protect a relative handful of jobs in the US while costing all US corporations and consumers who use steel or aluminum. Now this sounds idiotic to me, however if this is payback for Trump campaign contributions then I understand. I have heard that the Chinese government purchased some of our beans a while back and then resold them to private companies thus avoiding their own tariffs. I do not know if that is true.

dennis, do remember about that "business experience" that Trump has. When his book "Art of the Deal" came out, he was burning through hundreds of millions of dollars of daddy's money. It's best to look at facts instead of some kind of "hopee, changee" thing.

Comment

• So basically we would have been better to stay on the path we were on. 2% gdp, we were told that was going to be the new normal. Those jobs ( the ones that were never coming back to America, quote Obama) shouldn't have come back to America. They should have stayed in those other countries thanks to the original GATT and NAFTA trade agreements. (Remember that giant sucking sound that Ross Perot warned us about), China could keep screwing us and stealing intellectual property. The new TPP policy that so many people opposed (like NAFTA and GATT but I digress, all those folks were just protectionists and kooks), should have passed because it would have made things even better for (who exactly now, I'm not sure)? Wal Mart stuff could have stayed cheaper for all those people who were unemployed and on welfare. Now they've got to get up and go to a job and work but the money they earn won't purchase as much as their unemployment money did because of rising prices of everything. All due to the tariffs , even if a particular item isn't imported from china, now the seller has an excuse to raise the price. Yep, I'm starting to get the picture now. Yes, that would have been a lot better. My crop prices would have been a lot better and I wouldn't have to be trying to figure out to make this thing work. Damn, what was I thinking when I pulled the lever for that bloviating turd? Of course looking back, that's been the story of my life. What was I thinking.

Comment

• One other point: I believe the "Art of the Deal" man made a huge mistake by picking so many trade fights with both friends and foes. All the ripped up treaties and tariffs with allies was bound to rankle. Now, imagine instead that Trump worked our allies to help together to get China to play a bit more fairly with trade. I gotta think that would have gotten China's attention, but now a great deal of the world is rather put out by Trump's bullying and not particularly interested in playing nice with America's bully.

Comment

• After WW2, Cordell Hull, FDR's Sec. of State thought that economic alliances among nations would help to promote peace. US foreign policy worked toward that goal. Krugman just pointed this out and I think, like Krugman, that Trump's wrecking ball approach to trade and tariffs could ultimately lead to a greater possibility of military conflicts.

Comment

• So far I think Trump's approach to trade and foreign relations has been an abject disaster. Many of the things he is promoting really needed doing. When the last loser was president he and Hillary gave away our leadership role in the world. oBAMA's successor had to re assert out leadership position. too bad Trump's methods are ridiculous.. What makes Trump's position worse is the fact that women, the young and the media have all conspired to ruin any chance Trump had to succeed .

But the long story is that China will outlast Trump and we will be screwed. When trump is either impeached or voted out the next liberal president will undo ALL of the good things trump has silently accomplished California and East coast liberals will do their utmost to make this country a turd world nation

Comment

• "he (Obama) and Hillary gave away our leadership role in the world . Obama's successor had to assert our leadership position " ?? WTF are you talking about ? Everyone in the free world was working WITH the United States economically , politically and militarily. It would be true the communist regimes hated us but that was a good thing. With Russia we were far better off pushing back with the free world shoulder to shoulder than we are now - being Putin apologists and lapdogs. Don't bullchit me - you know we are. They bankrolled when no bank in the free world would and then they got him elected. Russia owns your azz now. I get sick hearing Trump apologize for Putin's military expansion into Crimea and Ukraine

Trump says he "is in love with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un." Says they "have been exchanging love letters". Well - maybe that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside, Makes me sick. Sick of Trump's making sweet love to the dictators around the world while kicking all of our allies , the folks who back us up to push against the azzholers of the world , those folks he kicks in the balls (or puzzy , in the case of German chancellor). Those friends he stabs in the back are customers of ours and they backed us up when dealing with China. We no longer lead anyone ! Our friends and allies since WW11 don't trust us and sure as hell don't follow us. Our enemies now like us - as Trump is a good lapdog who thinks he looks pretty and loves to get petted.

As to undoing the things Trump has done ? He hasn't done anything. The only thing he actually did was to take gays out of military which military leadership said was a bad thing . Turns out most of them worked in communications and linguistics. Not surprising . You know gay and genders people are good at foreign languages , right ? The ONLY other thing he actually did was to collude with Republicans in raiding the US Treasury for a Trillion dollars per year for the wealthiest 1 % of Americans and that ain't you and that ain't me. Oh , btw , that money will BE BORROWED FROM CHINA AND ADDED TO NATIONAL DEBT ! Biggest single month of debt for US IN HISTORY was last month. AND that was supposedly at a time when our economy was sooo strong ? What happens when the roaring economy we've had for the last 10 years goes into recession ?? Your azz gets thrown under the bus - that's what. Unless Democrats get enough power to right that wrong.

Everything else was ALL bullchit ! Deregulation you wanted so bad ? Trump lies. What regulations did you get freed from. I don't see one rule change for the regular guy. Immigration ? Every rule Trump makes up , speeches galore , are then thrown out by courts with a "Unconstitutional - you were not elected king !" stamped across it. Tell me what Trump actually has done that either got through the Congress or the courts. Funny how when Obama used an executive order it was shredding the Constitution even when his were nearly always legal. When Trump tries to do illegal stuff by executive orders , the same fools cheer. Thank God the courts don't fall for his bs !
                  Last edited by RON11; 05-12-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• Ron, don't go all PC on us. I get the feeling you're holding back and mincing your words. Personally, my wife and I have been having a difficult time not getting our guns out and shooting up area Trump-lovers. The Lord tells me that this is likely not a sin. OK, I'm getting a wee bit carried away here, but one of the sad things in my life is the fact that I've lost so much respect for so many people. It's time for a much needed 2-day vacation.

Comment

• Ronny, you forget WHEN "everyone" was working with the USA...they were getting the benefits, the USA was getting the screwing, from the back stabbing countries, and then
                      the apologizer tries his hand as a traitor.

Oh, and please show us some originally correct documentation on Obama!

Comment

• The two previous posts by ron and ff are what worry me. You see I too have lost respect for a lot of people. But in this political climate to even joke about getting your guns out and shooting trump lovers is stupid. And ron is so brainwashed from listening to the left wing propaganda he wouldn't recognize a fact if it walked up to him. I stated before that there were just as many of us felt the same way about the Obama administration and what went on then, but we didn't walk around consumed by hate an anger for people who didn't agree with our view. You left leaners need to get a grip and get over it. Our forefathers gave us a mechanism called elections to change directions if we aren't happy with the direction were headed. Instead of walking around mad and hating those you disagree with, how about putting forth some better ideas then and campaign on why those would be better than what we've got now. You better figure out how to deal with it or there will a civil war going on in our streets. Just stop and give that a serious thought for a minute. Is that really what you want? Really?

Comment

• i just deleted a rather biased reply to ron and FF It was very similar to 4450's post which I agree with.

Buttttt

This should be a marketing thread. Politics are a big part of marketing. and Trump has really upset the norms of marketing for the hole ag industry. That is one thing that is really hurting farm economy and it sure looks like Trumps tariffs will eventually fail miserably.

BUT something has to be done to end China's policy of stealing intellectual property and currency manipulation to their benefit.

On that side little 0 failed miserably

Comment

• It is not Trumps tariffs that hurt us. It is China's tariffs. They had tariffs in place before the U.S..

Comment

• agree with king, .......the ineptness of the last three administrations is almost mind boggling and depressing all at the same time , and the desire to alienate fellow americans is sad, and it shows here on agweb as well, and until both sides realize their chit stinks too, progress won't be made, as ron and ff point out glaringly the intolerance in their posts over the years......The intolerant"tolerant" left is no better or different than the intolerant right....

back to markets.... majority of marketers i have read generally viewed as a stand against chinas practices should have been taken long ago, with maybe a more sane individual in the white house. The need for pork given the disease issues in china may play the most pivotal role in in them coming to the table..... since chinese interests own smithfield,, will we see them shift what they are doing with product???????? one thing i hadn't thought about in the dairy industry is that one of the leading causes for the reduction of milk product use in china has been the reduced use in pig starters in china due the large death loss in that country. grain prices will suck and continue to do so, with little regard to what china does trade wise because..... 25 to 40% fewer pigs mean less need for beans and beanmeal, even with them attempting to ramp up chicken and hog production, same with corn as well........and we continue to produce way to much inthis country at the behest of the companies demanding a kings ransom for the technology they shoved down the throat of farmers, who now have few alternatives.

and for the first time in 10 years, i don't regret having to look at hogs........

Comment

• insider say whitehouse will make and announcement this week for a mfp payment for 2019 of 15 billion,bean payment will be $1.98/bu did'nt say what corn would be

Comment

Working...
                                X