No announcement yet.

Marketing 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've still got 30K in the bins....but it is contracted, delivery as they need it over the next two months.....2.5 mile to deliver. Haven't looked at radar yet....but rain supposed to be moving in by noon.....thank God I didn't plant the milo.....can just imagine the results of these cold ground temps and wet weather on that chit....wouldn't be pretty.

Corn looks good....beans struggling,but seem to have new growth. Spent yesterday planting garden...first one in can't remember how long.....forgot how much work it is to do one right....but probably age is factored in there.....

Comment

• took a drive to take some beans back yesterday, didn't know the POS are carrying a 25.00 pallet charge wtf? nothing but pongding water, no beans in, a couple of corn fields in, and in the agri office alot of workers there sitting on there azzes collecting a pay stub, don't want that bill, its getting scary around here for the vast majority, Steffy sent me the 30 day outlook and it looks very wet and cool and very few days of clear weather in between, haven't really witnessed a spring like this in many a year.
      See some guys s hitting bricks starting to work cold wet ground, ADM just sent out there reminders to all that have forward contracts with them, I betcha there phones are ringing off the hook and guys trying to get outta corn contracts to deliver........saw a friend not too far away that farms the countryside and little work done, riding his lawnmower with his coyote fur hat on...lol sorry I shouldn't be laughing at all.

Comment

• 48,there aren't any feedlots around here,I have cows but they reside in the river hills that can't be farmed and on corn stalks in the winter,the calves are backgrounded to use up my roughages but I make more money selling them as 6 wts than trying to feed them out.There are no agreements around here like you talk about,while there may be where your at,they don't exsist in the corn belt or places outside of the feeding areas.
        It did freeze here mon AM,what corn I did have up got smoked,as did my alfalfa.Been very cold here the last few weeks,our early planting is all moot now,But the 6 in of rain has took a big bite out of the drought.Grass still isn't growing much yet,to cold.Don't know if the WW got froze it will take a few days to know,but a lot of it was just starting to head.

Comment

• Originally posted by db51 View Post
          I think beans are chemical damaged from Fierce....It's hard not to tear chit up that looks this bad.....weather forecast not boding well for next week or two....looks like maybe some new growth on beans......just look sick...need to quit fricking looking at the sorry basturds.
          Fierce = Valent's offering for guys who want to git 'er done early instead of waiting to apply Cobra later. Hurt 'em bad so they yield good.

Thor

Comment

• Originally posted by db51 View Post
            48...you just don't understand the territory..we do not have any access to the type of operations you are referring.....bottom line....there ain't no customers for grazing, raising heifers, or anything else.....there are virtually no livestock operations down in this area.....and certainly none that fit the criteria you are talking about. BTW...I don't own any 2014 corn.....
            db51: Excuse me, but I seem to re-call lots of photos of your Braunvieh cattle and your Silencer squeeze chute. Just saying...

Comment

• Originally posted by steffy View Post
              48,there aren't any feedlots around here,I have cows but they reside in the river hills that can't be farmed and on corn stalks in the winter,the calves are backgrounded to use up my roughages but I make more money selling them as 6 wts than trying to feed them out.There are no agreements around here like you talk about,while there may be where your at,they don't exsist in the corn belt or places outside of the feeding areas.
              It did freeze here mon AM,what corn I did have up got smoked,as did my alfalfa.Been very cold here the last few weeks,our early planting is all moot now,But the 6 in of rain has took a big bite out of the drought.Grass still isn't growing much yet,to cold.Don't know if the WW got froze it will take a few days to know,but a lot of it was just starting to head.
              steffy: Weellll...you better get ahold of CattleFax cuz they are showing lots of feedlots in SD. Even South Dakotan has one.

Comment

• Choice boxed beef set another new record high yesterday=$265.59.

Comment

• Any corn farmer on this site can cheaply put in a feed lot, and if you're under 1000 head you are exempt from CAFO regulations in most...if not all...states. I never thought I would kudo JR, but anybody can put in a wood post and guard rail feed bunk line. Don't forget the Ivomec. Personally, I am trying to semi retire ANNNDDD I didn't plant any money losing corn anywho. You can go on Big Iron and get feed truck/wagon for a reasonable price. You can put a small feed lot in cheaper than a tin can. And, as you make money each year, you can gradually improve it into a first class operation.

Or...you can sit around with db51 and sing "We're Screwed" in harmony. That's a lot easier than taking pro-active steps to make money.

Comment

• Originally posted by dennis1 View Post
                    There you go....a cattle pot for ECI, and some electric fence, including posts...then teaching cowboyism...
                    ECI grew up with cattle.

Comment

• Originally posted by davidm479 View Post
                      101--------------------dave
                      Dave: Good to hear from you. I printed this out for the next time you want assistance with the feed lots out here.

Comment

• A little update from East Central Indiana - Its been a cold azz start here - every morning I checked the BCW moth trap I would talk soil temp. One morning it dropped to 39 degrees - but really it is hard for it to get above 51 - Last checked it last Thursday morning at 10 am - at 2 inch's it was ??? You got it - 51 and for chit and giggles pushed on down to 3 inch's - that's where the roots are headed and it was 48.5 . I would guess for my area - say 85 to 90 % of corn in the ground , most I have seen appears pretty good but time will tell - a lot was mudded in and that can lead to problems down the road .

I have no beans in the ground and there are a lot to go in around here , just to wet , checked fields this morning - maybe Friday afternoon ??????? But that may be pushing it . Chance of rain today , Chance Sunday and Monday .

48 is right - grew up with cattle - but been out for awhile - but give me a day and could be read for a Pot load pretty easy - All waters in place as well as fence pretty good , dry lot still there . Thought about getting a load till the price went threw the roof .

Comment

• How many head do you need to walk off 200,000 bu. of corn. I'm pretty sure in my county before it becomes a huge permitting hassle I'm allowed 9 or 10 animal units. AAAAAAnd of course the neighbors all have to approve.

Not saying it's impossible to get permitted, but by the time I got permitted, the price of beef will be in the basement along with all the other commodities. I would have a tough time just meeting the set back requirements. Things changed for me when the five county metro area, turned into the seven county metro area.

Wright County Feedlot Setbacks
                          New Feedlots &/Or Pre-Ordinance Feedlots &/Or
                          Permanent Manure Storage Areas Permanent Manure Storage Areas
                          Property lines:
                          Animal buildings, open lots and solid manure
                          storage areas including short-term stockpile 100’ 100’
                          Liquid manure storage areas 200' 200'
                          Road centerline to animal building:
                          Township or local road 100’ 100’
                          County or State road 130’ 130’
                          New dwelling 500' of 10-499 AU 500' of 10 - 499 AU
                          New dwelling 1000' of 500 or more AU 1000' of 500 or more AU
                          Existing dwelling (1) 500' of 10-499 AU -
                          Existing dwelling (1) 1000' of 500 or more AU -
                          Commercial/Industrial 500' 500'
                          Municipalities (2) 1/2 mile 1/2 mile
                          Shoreland District Lake or Wetland (3) 1000' 999AU maximum expansion
                          Shoreland District River, Stream or Ditch (3) 300’ 999AU maximum expansion
                          DNR Protected Waters or Wetlands (3) 300' 300’
                          Wetland type 3, 4 or 5 (3) 100’ 100’
                          Bluff impact zone (3) Not allowed Not allowed
                          100 Year Floodplain Not allowed No expansion
                          Private well (3) 100' 100'
                          Public well or child care center (3) 1000' 1000’
                          An animal feedlot that currently has less than 10 animal units and is located within 500 feet of a dwelling owned by a person other than an immediate family member may not expand to 10 animal units or more.
                          (1) Pre-ordinance feedlots and/or permanent manure storage areas may be allowed to modify and/or expand even if they are within 500' of existing dwelling, if they do not further encroach on established setback.
                          (2) New feedlots of 50-300 animal units require a conditional use permit within 1/2 mile of a municipality. Pre-ordinance feedlots can expand to 500 AU, if they do not further encroach on existing setbacks. The Cities of Otsego and St. Michael are excluded.
                          (3) Modifications or expansion may be allowed to an existing feedlot, if there is not further encroachment or pose a potential pollution hazard.
                          Manure Application Setbacks
                          Sites Surface application Injected or immediate incorporation application (1)
                          Frozen or snow-covered ground in SPA (2) Not allowed Not allowed
                          Flood Plain Not allowed 100’
                          Lakes, Rivers & Perennial Streams 300' 100' (3)
                          Other SPA 300’ 75’
                          Private well 100' 100'
                          Public well 300' 300'
                          Residences 100' -
                          Open Tile Intakes 300’ -
                          Non-SPA Drainage ditch/grass waterway 16.5' No application in the right-of-way of public roads
                          1. Immediate incorporation application means tilling into the soil within 24 hours of application and prior to rainfall.
                          2. SPA - Special Protection Area is land within 300 ft of all protected waters and wetlands as identified by the DNR. Also includes intermittent streams and ditches identified on United States Geological Survey quadrangle maps.
                          3. May have 100’ of unmanured perennial buffer instead of injected or immediately incorporated.
                          4. Liquid manure irrigation is prohibited unless a Liquid Manure Irrigation Plan for the feedlot has been submitted to and approved by the County Feedlot Administrator.
                          Animal Units (AU)
                          1 Mature dairy cow over 1,000 pounds 1.4
                          1 Cow and calf pair 1.2
                          1 Slaughter steer, beef cow or mature dairy cow under 1,000 pounds 1.0
                          1 Dairy or beef heifer and feeder cattle 0.7
                          1 Calf 0.2
                          1 Swine over 300 pounds 0.4
                          1 Swine between 55 pounds and 300 pounds 0.3
                          1 Swine under 55 pounds 0.05
                          1 Horse 1.0
                          1 Sheep or lamb 0.1
                          1 Chicken over 5 pounds with a dry manure system 0.005
                          1 Chicken under 5 pounds with a dry manure system 0.003
                          1 Turkey over 5 pounds 0.018
                          1 Turkey under 5 pounds 0.005
                          1 Duck 0.01

The new Shopko store going up on the edge of town had no problem getting permitted though. Looks like it should be a pretty nice store when it's done in a couple months. It is in my best interest not to get a feedlot permit. Screws up the real estate value.

edit too add...and it would pizz off the neighbors.
                          Last edited by 82; 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Can you fatten one out by just feeding wheat straw and water?? I'll have plenty of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ECI View Post
                              A little update from East Central Indiana - Its been a cold azz start here - every morning I checked the BCW moth trap I would talk soil temp. One morning it dropped to 39 degrees - but really it is hard for it to get above 51 - Last checked it last Thursday morning at 10 am - at 2 inch's it was ??? You got it - 51 and for chit and giggles pushed on down to 3 inch's - that's where the roots are headed and it was 48.5 . I would guess for my area - say 85 to 90 % of corn in the ground , most I have seen appears pretty good but time will tell - a lot was mudded in and that can lead to problems down the road .

I have no beans in the ground and there are a lot to go in around here , just to wet , checked fields this morning - maybe Friday afternoon ??????? But that may be pushing it . Chance of rain today , Chance Sunday and Monday .

48 is right - grew up with cattle - but been out for awhile - but give me a day and could be read for a Pot load pretty easy - All waters in place as well as fence pretty good , dry lot still there . Thought about getting a load till the price went threw the roof .
                              Ken, don't let a little price rise stop you. Just go buy yerself a pot of day old Jersey bull calves and get the whole experience on the cheap!! 250 calves will prolly fill it up, and if you "feed 'em all the same, only at different times", you could keep those Purdue interns busy 24/7!! Just don't tell Nancy too soon, and never allow yer nice mother to get too involved like some other posters used to, and maybe yer banker will let you have yer Hagie back when he sees yer a real farmer!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 48 View Post
                                steffy: Weellll...you better get ahold of CattleFax cuz they are showing lots of feedlots in SD. Even South Dakotan has one.
                                There's nothing like a guy that doesn't have a feedlot, doesn't own any cattle, has never built bins for his operation, walked into it all, rents the land out, etc.. Now telling the rest of us how we should operate. LMAO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X