May have to bite the bullet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have to bite the bullet!

I am thinking about getting a self propelled sprayer.
    I only have 1,000 acres row crop. It is spread out and lots of terraces and steep ground.
    So I will only go over 3,000 acres ( 1,000 acres 3 times)
    I like the idea of an Apache. Light weight, lower cost less fuel. But will the 2 wheel drive cut it?

Everything I say will go against the grain of the BTO's,

but, keep tank size reasonable..

Have been doing a little over that since 2002 with a Spray coupe...
    admitting we have been dry.

If you need more than 2 wheel drive, ask what the fug are you doing out there in the first place!

Did hire a much larger boomed commercial applicator to go over corn a few years ago 1 time, in this many years...

When you get this old, it feels good to get off to pee more often, and finding out that climbing back in is more of a problem...

The Apache is a very popular brand around here with private users, and advancement of some
    mechanical and structural design.
    Last edited by dennis1; 03-22-2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Can't answer your question about 2 wd. All I know is years ago local fert/chem dealer tried running apaches. Had trouble breaking the front end out from under them. Now you using them on your farm I'm sure would get easier treatment than these did. But it happened to them more than once. And the newer ones now might be built better than back then. That's all I know about them but always thought they would be a good "farm" machine.

Comment

Percy here; Why would you even consider 2wd when 4wd is available? Whenever you're spraying, it seems like you're always chasing a shower. Now, we are of the pull type variety, but I've seen the fancy 4wd green machines buried on 1 side only, so I would look for a positive diff. lock system. You never get stuck at the end of the row!!

Comment

"Here" most of my soil is what I would call Very well drained. 4 wheel drive, if needed, would be to help turn on the end and to go up hills. No to mention the occasional ditch to cross.

Comment

Agree with dennis, we never buy a 4wd combine if its that wet stay out. don't like filling ruts. I know there are some that think that is nuts but it works for us.

Comment

Percy here; apparently you don't consider the extra compaction that is caused slipping up a hill. No, you won't get stuck, but with a sprayer you will get an inaccurate dosage. When you have a 4wd rig, flip it to 2wd when going up a hill, and you'll notice the difference, when driving on well drained soli or not. . When you listen to Duke, remember, he just wants an excuse to either golf or play with some sheep!!l LOL Talk about stuck in a rut!!

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking. Drive your pickup down a dirt road after a shower of rain in 2 wd and you might make it ok but slip and slide around a bit. Put it in 4wd and it'll go straight and hardly leave a track. Dennis is right, you shouldn't be out there if it's too wet, but how often do we do things when it's not quite right.

Comment

two wheel here no problems and I have crossed plenty of wet ground---the green machines are getting so heavy they need doles try to find a light machine 4 or 2 wheel- ----look at a JD 6500 6700 they are two wheel----------------------------dave
                  Last edited by davidm479; 03-23-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

lol...

couple "remarks"

when you DON'T farm the whole fk'n county, you can be more selective on the days you spray!

then,
                    a hill to some people would be a golfer mound, and to others, something that slopes 45؛ and the only way is up or down...because sprayer booms don't help hold the
                    sprayer upright when you run on the contour...

Comment

Working...
                    X