Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what age did everybody start driving dads tractor the very first time. My was dc case at age 5 I'm 48 now. The first actual he let me go out by myself in the field was 11 with jd 2630 pulling 13ft rotary hoe.
    Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Good ? fr, I was 5 years old and would go get the green chop wagon out of the cow yard while Dad and Mom milked. was a MM U with a hand clutch. got pics to prove it.started plowing whenI was in the sixth grade with a IH 460 diesel 3 bottom plow mounted 2 point hitch. planted corn the next spring with a 4row IH 56 planter, been planting corn ever since I'm 62 . Boy does this bring back memories
    Now use a Versitile 305 with autosteer and a Kinze 16 row planter

Comment

Cant remember for sure, 6 or 7. We lived in town and dad drove a truck for his day job. But bought a little LA John deere. That was my first drive. He made a manual three point on that tractor. Used something like a handle off of a harrow that you squeezed to raise or lower. Made a one bottom plow, lister (potato row maker/digger), a blade. I'm sure he would have had some kind of disk but can't remember. I didn't have enough power to work the three point but drove it pulling a two wheel trailer when he picked corn by hand.

Comment

Don't know if you actually call it driving a tractor or not but Dad picked me up and sat me in the seat of the farmall super H at age 4 . He got it moving and beside the windrow of hay with the IH baler baling then he went back on the hay wagon and stacked hay . I was told just drive beside the windrow . Didn't do very good for a while at getting all the corners . I couldn't even come close to reaching the pedals so dad told me if he hollard to stop , just take my foot and push the stop button in . At first I was scared crapless , but didn't take to long and I wasn't to bad at it .
        I'll never forget that old IH baler , I think my dad hand tied more bales than that baler did . He owned 3 different ones , none of them could tie a bale for crap . He finally bought a NH . He thought he was in heaven .
        At 6 I was plowing , discing and pulling an old spring tooth around . The disc was not a transport , you set the cut by pulling the squeeze lever and backing up . At that time we had the Farmall Super H a Allis WD - 45 and a D-17 .
        I was started , and learned young because mom was pregnant and had morning sickness . But then thats just the way things were done back then . All the neighbor kids learned young and worked just as hard as I did but it sure seemed like we all had a lot of good times together too .

Comment

My brother and I ran Grandpas WD45 on the go devil. It took both of us working together. I was around 4 and my brother was 5 or 6. When we got on the 17 we were in tall grass!

Comment

I was 5, 65 years ago. Dad had a Farmall H, and it had a spring loaded gizmo attached to the clutch that had a 3 foot handle on it. When you pulled that handle up, the spring would physically disengage the clutch. There were 2 VERY important conditions to that contraption; 1 DON'T get your chin in the way of that handle, and 2, LET GO OF THE HANDLE!!! That bugger launched me 15 feet straight forward, but only ONCE!! I was so small [lightweight] that I had to hook my toes under the axle housing to be able to get the clutch back down. Being the oldest boy had quite a few requirements, and they started young!!

Comment

I believe I was 6 as far as the first time "all by myself", after dad got stuck with a W-9 in a draw se of the house 1 mile, I was picked up at country school and taken directly to the site, where there were 4 m's of the neighborhood, and dad's H. I had been attempting to drive before, cultivating rowed feed and milo, but that narrow front end had me buffaloed on the ridge, and the
              steering wheel would spin like a fan...anyway, a storm was brewing, neighbors were taking their tractors home and I was placed on the seat, reminded of the ignition switch to bump if I needed
              to stop before I got it home...it was probably first gear and rolling, I remember the first intersection, made it good, then a neighbor passed me, and then dad, they kept "signaling" about something, I just thought they were making fun of me being the slow poke, was met on the road after the second intersection by dad and a neighbor, dad hopped on and it was 5th gear to the granary..with him in full control, ran to the house in pouring rain...I remember that, it rained in Kansas back then...lol. (Found out the signals were for me to pull the throttle back and get
              the h e e ll on down the road!)

I had also "attempted" to drive grand dads ford with the "fur goosen system" to help grand dad fixing fence, he and dad had built a box for fencing materials that attached to the 3 point, I had to be on one side of the
              transmission housing to reach and disengage the clutch, I was little small then, and grand dad gave up after the first afternoon of my "assistance".

Comment

Your mention of the ferguson got me to thinking of the ferguson 30 Dad bought after the LA. I spent most of my time on that until I left home. We lived in town but Dad farmed these little patches on the end of town. I would get home from school before he'd get off of work so he'd send me to the field to work until he got there. Would take down the street holding a hand on each fender and steer with my feet. Anyone that's run one of those knows what I'm talking about.

Comment

NOT sure 4450, what I remember on the negative side was you would always have a hot foot if you left your foot on the foot rest on a hot day of cultivating, dang muffler and engineering depts.
                  didn't do enough testing...lol

Comment

was 5 when I drove the baler when Dad was loading, was plowing when I was 7

Comment

Dad made an upright exhaust and muffler for the Ferguson that we'd run from spring until it was time to put the comfort cover on. Then he'd switch it to the one underneath. In high school a friend of mine got a 6 cylinder chevy nova. One day we were horsing around at home and we cut the stock muffler off of his car and put that ferguson muffler on for a little more noise. Boy did dad get pizzed that fall when he found out what happened to that underneath muffler.

Comment

I suppose it was the summer of 1953,I was six years old at the time, ( You can do the math) I was helping my dad repair pasture fence on our farm.
                        He had the M Farmall with a hydraulic loader, but a trip bucket, loaded with fencing supplies as we worked out way along the fence.. The M had a narrow f
                        front, and no power steering. It was a bearcat to steer. My dad asked me to run back and get the M and bring it closer to where we were working, which I did
                        But, being a kid and not paying attention, I ran into our newly tightened and repaired 4 wire barbed fence with the loader, We ended up spending a couple
                        hours repairing what we had already done.

Comment

Your loader story choreboy made me recall an incident with my uncles when I was in high school. He had a narrow front 50 JD with a loader and trip bucket. One hot summer day he had a fat hog die in the hog pen. He told me to take the loader and get that hog and haul to the furthest corner of the farm and dump in the ditch there. Being a teenager I was always driving whatever I was driving faster than I should of. Got that dead hog on loader bucket, stuck that 50 in 5th gear and took off across the field like a bat out of H. Was doing fine until I hit a small ditch in the field. Loader flopped up and down and then the bucket tripped. At the speed I was going didn't have a chance of stopping. Narrow front end right over the hog. Boy did I have a mess to pick up then.

Comment

Working...
                          X