Haybines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haybines

Maybe this was discussed before I'm too lazy to look back, but a different haybine is now getting closer to the top of replacement list. we have 5209 New Idea now looking at 830 Deere but all the close ones on tractor house have tine conditioners instead of rolls.
    Any opinions that would be useful to this particular situation, thanks.
    Don't get tripped by what's behind you

fr, we used a tine cond. JD one year and didn't like it. it seemed to tear off the leaves to much. went back to cond.rolls

Comment

Growing up we used JD and NH discbines. I'm on my second 13' NH since buying my farm 27 years ago. Both companies make a fine machine although JD costs more. Some alfalfa growers have stayed with rolls for the reason Duke says. In grass , as I have , flails are the way to go. Flails don't peal off or warp like some rolls do.I think they use less power in heavy crops. Because they are so aggressive they do more conditioning.

As long as you buy a discbine and NOT a sickle mower you will be fine. Prices on the new machines are somewhat in line with the quality of the brands- you get what you pay for. I would tell farmers to be very careful about buying these machines used. They work well because they run fast and they work hard. That means at some time they are going to still look good and run good BUT will start falling apart all over the place. That is why I traded mine in while it still ran and looked great. Once you start putting a lot of time and money fixing a discbine things get bad real fast.

Comment

We don't do a lot of alfalfa either and our alfalfa is for starting our bought feeders on then we switch to grass as they go on self feeders

Comment

Sickle machine is pretty good with stub guards. Good if your mowing tractor is smaller and/or your terrain does not allow speeds a discbine can do and/or limited acres to cut. You have an older person cutting hay that has all day and not much else to do where 10 mph field speeds would turn out bad.

Comment

We like the discbine, does a better job if the gopher has his head stuck up in the hole seeing what's going on.

Comment

Discbines work great in wetter alfalfa or grass than sickle cutters. When fields are fertilized and hay is lodged, , even grass fields are difficult to cut with conventional sickle.

Discbines work great on bambis, and turkeys also. Just remember to keep up the rpms. Messy in slow turning rollers. But rolls work way better than the JD options

Comment

$ @

Comment

your supposed to graze those grassy hay fields

Comment

NoEffin deer break up the fence.

Comment

We have had a New Holland 488 for years now and nothing major except for new sickle and guards and once the chains. Kept inside, well lubed and it cuts like it was brand new. True we only cut 40 acres of hay four or five times a year but I am still well pleased with it. We also have some steep hills which require speeds of 5 mph or less. Neighbor is now on second disk-bine and not sure how many tractor spindles he has replaced in the last 5 years and yes he can mow at 12 miles per hour or more! First cutting rank growth hay can be tough but we wait until after 10:00 for the hay to dry and don't have too much problems with it.

Comment

The other thing I like abut the disc bine is when finishing a field with only two feet of standing hay the disc bine goes right through the previous window no plugging

Comment

Only someone who never owned a discbine would try to justify a sickle mower. Once you go discbine -you never go back.BTW - there is no minimum speed for a discbine. Works just as good at one mile per hour as it does at 10 miles per hour.

I would never look down on a farmer who uses a sickle mower whether it is because of cost OR nostalgia. I like seeing Amish farmers plowing with a team of horses. I can't say it is better than a tractor but it is a perfectly good choice for whatever his reason. Same with mowing hay.

Comment

Flying Root I also would agree with that. Also, the haybine technology has been around since the late 1960's and are still being made today and that is not a bad run. Each has their own drawbacks and advantages.

Comment

Have got to agree with R11 in post 13 . Always had a sickle haybine . When we started looking for a new one , neighbor told me to come try his discbine . After my wife made a couple rounds with it , the decision was made ,,, No more sickles .
                              Seems most of the guys around here still prefer the rolls for making dry hay . For haylage the tines or flails are O.K.

Comment

Working...
                              X