Lucky running parts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky running parts!

How many have had something like this happen?
    I had an oil cooler line on the truck leaking and I am pretty sure one of the fittings on the transmission has been over tightened. For this reason I am trying to buy the lines and fittings on the transmission from the parts guy. Well they don't look quite right but he has the book right?
    When I get home I can't get the lines unhooked from the cooler and ruin it in the process. Back to the parts guy( different shift) I get a new cooler and tell him I need 2 fittings for the cooler. He has one. It doesn't look quite right but he is the man with the book!
    Any how I got the wrong part both times but they were the ones I had to have before I got done!

Dave , I'm a little luckier than you maybe . My Dear wife is usually my parts runner . I will call the parts guy , tell him the part no. or a description of what I need . If he has it , I tell them to set it out and wife will be there to get it . When she gets home with the part I have usually got a few other things broke trying to get the broken part removed . So , back to town she must go . I think I have had her run to town for parts 3 times in one day a few times . Town here is about 60 miles round trip .

The problem I've had a few times is , the machine I happen to have was only made a short period of time . Ya know , to see if it was a good Idea and would work . Well , it wasn't a good Idea , and it don't work . Then they say its gonna be hard finding parts for that one . Just Great .

Comment

The ultimate insult is when they make 2 different versions of the same model!! Owned a JD 1327 MoCo , but found out my version was heavy duty, so everything about the baskets was heavier, but the numbers were the same. Just found out that the same # Perkins intake manifold has 3 different bolt hole configurations. WHY??

Comment

BETTER yet is....need a windshield wiper blade for a KW100....but first I must provide the transmission number, meanwhile the parts man is getting ECI elbow and
        thinks I'm the jerk...unless they tell me they have it, Marilyn does NOT get the fun of meeting the parts guys. She would be banned! lol

Comment

Gee wezz - I guess i'm lucky here - NEVER have had that kind of luck or screw ups !

Watch it Cover crop dipstick - That elbow deal is pretty bad - lol

Comment

Originally posted by dennis1 View Post
            BETTER yet is....need a windshield wiper blade for a KW100....but first I must provide the transmission number, meanwhile the parts man is getting ECI elbow and
            thinks I'm the jerk...unless they tell me they have it, Marilyn does NOT get the fun of meeting the parts guys. She would be banned! lol

I know with the Int. trucks , no matter what part you want you have to provide them with the vin. no. The problem is , engines , transmissions , rear ends and so on get changed over time .

Comment

The younger generation here has been a good influence on me.

We now take pictures with the phone. Text the pictures to the parts man. If there are any questions, we might text the pics to the shop or a mechanic with plenty of experience.

The pictures have saved us a lot of time and trips.

Of course even better but it slows things down. Pictures plus the old parts go to town with the person getting the parts.
              “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

I generally try to take the old part with me. This time I wanted to leave the lines hooked up so I didn't loose the trany fluid. When I was getting parts one of the things I wanted to get was some plugs. Pull the line and plug it off real quick and then make the lines was the original program.

Comment

Originally posted by iadave View Post
                  I generally try to take the old part with me. This time I wanted to leave the lines hooked up so I didn't loose the trany fluid. When I was getting parts one of the things I wanted to get was some plugs. Pull the line and plug it off real quick and then make the lines was the original program.
                  Yep, makes sense.
                  “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

SOB, the parts man wants to see the part OR a picture of the part...first of all, it's broken, covered in grease, oil, dirt, crud, and you want me to clean it up so YOU/they can
                    see what it is...then by the time the "part" is actually removed from originally intended operating spot....now in several pieces, do I glue it back together or start welding for the picture?
                    Many parts people I know do NOT do zig saw puzzles without a new complete picture beside them to look at...

they get upset when you enter the front door with a dripping oil line and walk up to the parts
                    counter, too..

Last edited by dennis1; 03-09-2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Freightliner uses the vin a lot. Here ,if they desire, they can pretty much build your truck from the last 6 numbers. I guess I am kinda spoiled from that. Some exceptions though. Fuel filters and air driers. Some things we have learned to use the vin off another truck for also. Evidently some things were not built according to spec or else they were changed pretty early in my trucks life.
                      Some of the parts guys will not sell you a common bolt without the vin. I had one get mad at me as I needed a bolt for a non- truck item. He kept wanting the vin and what it was for. He told me he could not sell me one without it!

Comment

Working...
                      X