Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baling up cornstalks after processed with a chopping cornhead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baling up cornstalks after processed with a chopping cornhead.

This fall we made about 700 cornstalk bales (with a John Deere 568 baler) from corn that was harvested with a John Deere chopping cornhead. I discovered that after raking the material together with a V-rake, the windrows were tall and fluffy and the stover bunched up in front of the baler pickup head. To compensate I had to reduce ground speed to keep the material flowing into the baler which reduced my efficiency. I am looking for some practical solutions so that next fall I don't face the same constraint.

are you still cutting the stubble or just raking what is their when we bale corn stubble here we take a bush hogg to it then rake and bale----------------------dave

Comment

I am just running a 14 wheel v-rake. We don't cut the stubble. I know some growers run a shredder and rake. It appears that the problem relates to the bigger roller hanging in front of the pickup head to compress the material. It just sits there like a log and won't turn. Sometimes when I ran into issues I would just flatten the windrow with a rear tractor tire and that seemed to eliminate the problem as the roller would then turn.,

Comment

sounds as if the fluff is the problem see if you can lower your roler on the baler to give it more materal to push down next step would be to pull a small roler behind your rake that may be the best ------------------------------------dave
        Last edited by davidm479; 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Umh - that is a good idea - maybe the factory installed roller on a JD568 can be lowered. Actually I did a test and drove over a fluffy windrow with a rear tractor tire - and the problem was solved. Pulling a small roller behind the rake in pushing in front of the baler tractor might solve the problem. I sure do not want to make another pass with a tractor. I just wish I could rake and bale at the same time with one operator and tractor.

Comment

We run a JD chopping corn head as low as we can to the ground. Come back in a week or so later rake the stalks with the v-rake. Then we come with a NH Specialty Crop baler can bale as fast as you feel comfortable with no problems. We usually run all green but have learned over the years the NH balers are excellent.

Comment

NH does not use a front"l roler and the SS has little tines to push fodder down then a stuffer it will pack it in their ----------------------dave

Comment

Yes we have been loyal to green and our JD567 worked to bale cornstalks and it didn't have a roller and we didn't use a chopping corn head. We went to a JD568 and chopping head and immediately recognized a problem this past fall. I hadn't thought about a NH baler and we don't see many of them in out area so didn't figure they would pickup cornstalks.

Comment

don't get me wrong John Deere makes a good baler but they like to Coppy put a 566 up next to your 568 it is nearly the same machine they may change a few chaines or pullys but nearly the same then come the 9s oh yes the 9s why did they put us the US second fiddle their flag ship baler its in Europe Google 990 JD BALER compleat new baler why is it over their not here I thought Deere was a American Companyback to the little doller on front nearly all new balers have them now we baught a new Krone it has one does great my 7060 NH does not it bales great have baled corn stalks with both no problems------------------dave

Comment

Seems like Vermeer, NH and Krone all have balers that work betting in cornstalk. I was able to talk to someone in customer service at John Deere and they do have a stiff compression rack for 568 and 569 balers that they say solves the problem. It looks a bit similar to the compression rack on a 567 baler but is stiffer. This is what they recommend I do.

Comment

JD 990 balers in Europe - all I can say is WOW. Why isn't that technology available here in the U.S. Seems like a much nicer baler and there is no gate to lift. Of course I can't ask my dealer because he wouldn't know.

Comment

just my point Danny I though JD was a American company why are they giving us the subpar sh it that 9 over here is almost the same baler as a 566 of old if you look at that new 9 it is patterened after a NH in the front net and everthing WE BAUGHT A KRONE FONTEAMA this last round one he ll of a baler
                        Last edited by davidm479; 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X