X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deere lays off 600

Not surprising, according to Machinery Pete. He gives three reasons why:

1. Sharply lower commodity prices

2. Tremendous excess of large late-model (1-4 year old) used equipment on dealer's lots all over the country, particularly 4WD tractors, combines, self-propelled sprayers and large (24-row+) planters

3. The sheer amount of new large farm equipment that has been sold over the past 8 years

Additional commentary here:

http://www.agweb.com/blog/machinery_...t_mfg_layoffs/

What do you think?

Originally posted by PotterB View Post
    Not surprising, according to Machinery Pete. He gives three reasons why:

1. Sharply lower commodity prices

2. Tremendous excess of large late-model (1-4 year old) used equipment on dealer's lots all over the country, particularly 4WD tractors, combines, self-propelled sprayers and large (24-row+) planters

3. The sheer amount of new large farm equipment that has been sold over the past 8 years

Additional commentary here:

http://www.agweb.com/blog/machinery_...t_mfg_layoffs/

What do you think?
    Yep, I agree with ya, but the new planter I got gets an F from me. Not real happy with JD for the quality they claim on products shoved out the back door. Too many problems and not the quality I expect when paying this much for a top quality machine. I guess this is what it is and get used to it. I will build my own planter this winter, tired of all the high tech bs, hooked up to the service team waiting for this machine to carry out it's mission. I don't farm thousands of acres and I don't care to either, but I expect machines to work when its time to work. I never had these problems on all the planters, tractors, combines I have owned prior to the New High Tech machines of today. Too much technology, too much bs associated with these machines. Not impressed and I've paid plenty. It's the price we pay to be the best available today, but it's overated and not worth it in my opinion. I love it when its working but too many days of down time and hard figuring what the fcvk is wrong points me in another direction for farming in the future. I want a planter that plants and when the computer screen goes to chit I want a button to hit to say OKAY...YOU CAN still plant but call your dealer or service man. Give me a break. You cannot afford down time when planting. I've owned two planters in the last 6 years and they've both cost me money. I will have a reserve planter for 2015 and it will be mechanical and I can fix it and it will be ready to go and NOT break down so help me God. I wish I could start a company with this creado.
    Maybe they should layoff more if this is what they produce. Not happy! Kinze is my next stop.

Comment

I don't know it for a fact, just read it someplace, but the CIH plant in Grand Island Nebraska where they build combines and swathers has cut back to one six hour shift per day. Obama not extending the investment credit tax bill probably has as much to do with it as anything.

Comment

GREG I have 2 Kinze planters and have servred us well. Kept the 8 row to plant sunflowers, sugarbeets and some beans. bought a 16 row last spring its 4 years young and works good. had deere planters before that and ih planters before that

Comment

I don't know who the mfg's thought they were going to sell all that rolled lease equipment to. At some point in time, somebody has to actually pay for the iron ore, or other raw product used to make the machine. Not just finance it.

They didn't learn a thing from the 80's.

Comment

The local JD owner was bemoaning in March, that the group he's a part of, had 70+ lease return combines on their lots. I think we have 6 combines in our county!

Comment

Stuff is hitting the fan. Since all parts are billed by your local dealership thru their parent Co., was informed that my acct. was frozen this a.m when partner went to charge parts. Long story short, check for the 25th hadn't reached them, so they shut me down. Asked the bookkeeper in the Midwest how my 25 year history of payment was? "no delinquencies". $20,000 LOC, less than $1,000 owed. This is just the start, I'm afraid, "They're comin to take me away"!!! Brace yerself.

Comment

I'm just curious , does anyone know what the mark up on equipment is ?? What did it cost the dealer for a $375,000 combine or a
                $180,000 tractor , or a $ 40,000 baler ? Equipment dealers keep consolidating and getting bigger in some areas while in other areas farmers are left with long drives to get parts or service . Our JD dealer was shoved out a year ago . Said he didn't sell enough NEW equipment to afford all the NEW technology needed to service the new high tech equipment .
                The increased cost of equipment seems way out of proportion to me . I do believe that is why used equipment is holding its value so well , sometimes even increasing in value . I just keep patching and running my old , tired Iron . At least it's Iron , not plastic .

Comment

Faust is saying pass the popcorn and get me another corona

Comment

Dealers became spoiled with high commodity prices and did not need to provide excellent customer service or products. Most of the "technicians" that I've dealt with at green or red dealerships over the last several years didn't know what they were doing and in most cases new equipment arrived late and was not even close to being operational. Dealers are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Comment

There are new big center fill Deeres, Kinze's mostly, and some Case IH. Seems like the guys that run them have traded them off for new ones after two years. W T F. I run two MFWD tractors, an 8410 with 3,000 hrs., and an 8260R new last year. I've got a 7200 12 Row Front Fold Vac that I go through every year and give it what it needs...plants as good as the day it was new in 1998. I bought a really nice used 1780 Conservation Vac 12/23 no till two years ago that is a 2000 model...before it was traded it went through Deere for a complete go through....I plant beans with it....never have to screw around changing out seed and plugging off row units....can be planting beans and corn at the same time. I have no plans for a bigger, newer planter. I notice in the spring some of the big heavy 16 and 24 row split rows are he11 to pull over wet ground.... a lot of weight back there. Won't be long and they'll be calling me Faust100F Jr.

You can bet your azz all of this excess seed corn being produced will be shipped overseas and sold for a little of nothing while we pay full boat retail. About 15 years ago, the seed companies had a glut on their hands and the Feds bought it for huge discounts and sent it all to Russia, Europe, and South America for FREE! . . . . and our prices here went up.

Comment

More layoffs announced today at Deere: http://bit.ly/deerelayoffs

Comment

Not surprising. Wonder if the Gator and Home and Garden sales can keep them a float?

Comment

JD Dealers are calling around looking for Service Work....Wanted to know if I wanted to get my combine in for inspection. W T F? They really want to sell equipment....but don't even think about trading your stuff in. lmao. Sh! t is already hitting their fan. Heard the Ritchie Bros Lot in St. Louis was filling up fast. Hilarity is about to ensue. Grab the Corona and some Popcorn. I'll bet old Faust has a front row seat.....

Comment

I have hauled parts to some of the JD places mentioned laying off . I suppose this will cut the loads down to them .

Comment

Working...
                              X