Angus Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angus Association

As the nation’s largest breed, the Angus Association influences every segment of the beef industry in every corner of America. What are your thoughts on the recent changes happening there?

http://www.agweb.com/article/full_co...Today_Editors/
    Last edited by PotterB; 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM.

I don't know what the heck you want here potter, unless we have members of the aaa, no one here probably knows enough facts about anything that went into the situation to comment.

Evidently there is a division of opinion of vision, organization, and how to move forward, its their business to take care of it.

If you want commentary, I would be interested to know why a more than likely paid troll who posts as joe alzado, has had many names and posters operating in the past, is allowed to use this medium to simply promote one sided propaganda that often has no connection to anything being discussed, and constantly revives old threads and postings that are the same as posted over the past 6 or 7 years.

Comment

I don't know either, village or bin, BUT in the High Plains Journal Oct6,2014 edition, Trent Loos presents an article
      that might run with what the associations NEED to be looking at. Page 22B....sorry, I have the digital edition
      pulled up but can't find it to give the site address...the title this week is: "I don't want 'beef sustainability' anymore.
      It really is a great article!

FINALLY, I found it:
      I don't want 'beef sustainability' anymore

By Trent Loos

In an era where companies and organizations have had the ability to hijack terms and concepts, none is more concerning than what is happening in the name of food “sustainability.” My father is still farming the same land the first Loos family landed on when they came from Germany in 1832. Three generations of Ralph Chain’s family of the Chain Ranch in Canton, Oklahoma, are currently ranching the same land their ancestors started tending to in 1893. These are just two examples of thousands of farm/ranch families that have been “sustainable” without some hamburger-flipping marketer telling us how to be sustainable.

This sustainable movement must stop now or it will slowly kill the U.S. food system. Don’t even begin to tell me “McDonald’s is going to demand it or they won’t buy from us.” McDonald’s is like every other food distributor—they will find any possible marketing strategy they can without one thought to the consequences it may cause to long-term supply. You see their definition of “sustainable” is a living one and it will never be met.

As much as I do not want to give them any more publicity, it is this statement from Bob Langert, McDonald’s Global Sustainability vice president, that really set me off:

He started by saying all food items sold in their stores would be sustainably sourced but with “beef being priority number one, two and three.” He goes on to say their sustainability efforts are based on collaborations within their respective industries. “We want to do this right and to do it right we have to collaborate and get the right measures in place. We are determined to let science lead the way, but we are also determined to start purchasing (beef) in 2016.”

Folks, read it again. The premise is they are not purchasing sustainable beef today. That is the largest load of bovine fecal matter you can heap into one pile.

Worse yet is the fact that our “grassroots” commodity organizations are falling for this marketing gimmick and inviting these opportunists to every possible cattlemen’s gathering you can imagine so they can “educate” the producer as to what we will need to do to become “sustainable.” I must admit that when the first request came to Cattlemen’s Beef Board (CBB) to fund a study looking at beef sustainability, I thought it would be a good thing to be able to put some numbers on our accomplishments and be able to share those stories of our success. But no more! That is clearly not the agenda they have in mind.

We currently have the same number of beef breeding animals we had in 1951 yet we produce three times the amount of human consumable protein. What more do you need to know about how sustainable the U.S. cattleman is? Furthermore, while the food companies give lip service to sustainability, they are the first to reject technologies that could move us further down the trail of efficiency.

To really get to your blood pressure boiling, take a real good look at the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works report released July 30. In a nutshell, all of the pseudo-environmental groups that we think we should start “partnering” with in this sustainability initiative are already in bed with the Obama EPA!

While I didn’t see reports in any livestock publications, even Forbes magazine ran a story on it with this paragraph included:

“The EPW report titled The Chain of Command: How a Club of Billionaires and Their Foundations Control the Environmental Movement and Obama’s EPA meticulously details how the ‘Billionaires’ Club’ funds nearly all of the major environmental non-government organizations (NGO), many media outlets, and supposed grassroots activists. The Billionaire Report continues by describing the cozy relationship many environmental groups have with the executive branch and the revolving door that makes this possible. In 2011 alone, ten foundations donated upwards of half a billion dollars to environmental causes.”

In case you are wondering, I am not on the fence on this one. If the true stewards of the land do not grab the bull by horns and direct our industry leaders to quit sitting down with the devil and asking for a slower death, it will come. The bottom line is that too many people are currently profiting with NGOs, and our commodity organizations aren’t run by those who have skin in the game.

Every day someone in agriculture is criticizing the global consumer for going along like a bunch of sheep believing the anti-agriculture propaganda without thinking for themselves. It’s time we wake up and take a look at where we are being led. Quit believing everything you are told by these “experts” without thinking and researching it for yourself. Is your operation sustainable enough to pass on from one generation to the next? Take a hard look at how long it has been producing food and ask yourself if you need someone telling you how to raise food for the world!

Trent Loos is a sixth generation rancher who travels the country to promote the people in agriculture through his public speaking and radio programs. He writes columns for several publications and his work may be found at www.LoosTales.com.

Date: 10/6/2014

http://www.hpj.com/archives/2014/oct14/oct6/1001LoosTalesTLrt.cfm#.VDHSICItCAg
      Last edited by dennis1; 10-05-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

PB: Thanx for posting this. We have been hearing bits and pieces for a long time. I do not belong to AAA nor am I a breeder. Black Angus have always been popular for their docility and disease free genetics...principally pink eye...and the high quality of the meat: tasty, juicy, marbling, etc. However, the quality is no better than Hereford, but you don't get pinkeye like you do with Hereford. I think it is interesting that most people who have been around long enough would not even recognize the frame of today vs back in the 1960's. One of the problems of the success of Black Angus is that everything is bred black today...including...ugh...Limmys and Salers. However, Black Angus have a significant commercial problem. They don't gain. Even Herefords outgain BA. Red Angus have all the benefits of BA, and they gain. Simmys are docile, and they gain. Hence, the popularity of SimAngus. From the anecdotal stories I hear from people who should know, there is a little truth to both sides...like Regional Managers never showing up...etc. As for the Certified Angus Beef program, many commercials don't think it is worth the trouble. BQA IS important. This was brought to the forefront vis a vis our export markets courtesy of BSE courtesy of a Canadian Stein on a Washington state dairy. But, the primary emphasis is Age and Source...not Certified Angus. It is obviously not a good idea to be a whistle blower in AAA. They just fire you. I think FJ could do us all a favor by interviewing the disgruntled and detailing their specific complaints. From what I have heard, it could be summarized as Show vs Commercial. Hopefully, this will be resolved at the Annual Meeting. AND, hopefully, AAA will pursue Commercial...not Show. In the mean time I have every confidence that where the rubber meets the road...commercial breeders...that they will have no trouble muddling through. On it's worst day AAA is the envy of all the other breed associations combined...even though Red Angus is the better breed...GAIN!
        Last edited by 48; 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Be careful on the disease free that you don't try to assume they are superior genetically. Most of the genetic defects we are finding in cattle are harbored in the angus breed, and are becoming more of a problem because the movement of commercial herds to a high percentage to purebred angus base. If they are bringing in genetics alot of times they are angus crosses - balancers, simangus, limflex.

CA in gelbvieh cattle does not take place in gelbvieh cattle, and does not occur in the same place on the dna as in angus cattle, but the angus side of the equation might have it. Most of or all of the genetic defects being currently tested for originated in angus cattle.

Then there are the vast benefits of heterosis, in the cow herd as well as the progeny. The great majority of the cattle feeders whant a mix of continental genetics and english breed genetics, 25 % to 75% depending on the end market, it is not that complicated. The angus breed to a certain extent has been losing some of the characteristics of its breed as they have attempted to make them more continental in type to satisfy the futile attempt to make the breed a single source of genetics.

Feet and legs are a tremendous problem in a lot of the angus genetics, some bulls pushed by bull studs have been hideous in some of my sampling. This is becoming a serious issue for the simmental and sim-angus breeders, as they try to straddle the clubby, show-breeding stock fence.

Big, little idiot bought a sim-angus heifer on a sale in montana from a reputable breeder , she originated from a herd in washington state. pretty cowy in type not the clubby type. I thought he would get waxed at the state fair, the class before him had a couple of really good heifers in it. In his Jan-feb, class, 10 head, I never seen such a bunch of cripples in my life walk in the same class in the show ring, sickle hocked, cow hocked, posty legged, kyles heifer was the only one that could walk and he won his class with a non clubby looking critter. I make the mistake of buying a bred sim angus heifer site unseen, terrible front feet the inner toes were curving up in in and were close to growing over the top of the outside toes at 18 months of age. what do you think she would look like by 4 or 5 years. The guy who raised her had no clue. Alot of these guys lack the ability to see cattle other than the rectangular box of the body.

In some of the letters, it sounded like they claimed there were some severe orginazational issues, who knows,

most issues in breed associations come from groups trying to push their own agenda, for their purposes, regardless of the effect on the whole population.
          Last edited by villageidiot; 10-06-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

VI: I suspect a lot of the genetic problems are a result of in-breeding due to the sheer popularity of BA...even if the breeder is doing due diligence in checking the breeding lineage to make sure that there is no in-breeding. I mean...how many million "Travelers" are out there thru AI. I didn't articulate this very well, but I think you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
            X