How many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many?

Ok go around your neighborhood and figure out how many guys or gals farming are full time farmers or have farming being supplemented by something else and farming is the tax write off (Seed dealers, crop ins adjuster/agent, Amway, Tater hauler, Purdue tester, DFA award winner)
    Don't get tripped by what's behind you

As a past DFA award winner, never had the need for a farm write off, there was REALLY always something that needed improved or replaced...and yes, for several years,
    while swinging a big bat, NO off farm income...then health came into play so getting rid of livestock because of drought and NOT being able to justify paying for someone
    else to take care of them, then when healthier, wanted something else to do to HELP pay the bills...when I remembered in FFA, the advisor and many of the speakers of
    various events stating farmers needed to be diversified...well, MY new way of think'n was something NOT related directly to agriculture for diversity...sure as 7734 wasn't
    going to start a dairy! Admittedly, the trucking was very related most of the time, except when hauling recycle iron and crude oil production from the labor end...

Comment

Up here in our neck of the woods you either farm or you don't. really can't thunk of anyone that does both

dennis , me thunks you ben in Milo field to loong, what the he ll are you trying to say

Comment

In my dad's words, it would be:

"NOT going to bust my azs just for the exercise."

You have bills and family to feed, better do it an honest way, even Marilyn had a couple jobs between the kids in high school and becoming a grandmother...

Comment

FR , I would say in our area a large percentage of the farms have either the husband or wife working off the farm .
          Mannnny moons ago my wife used to work at UPS for a while . Mainly for the insurance but the added money was nice too . For many decades though we milked cows full time . Our only occupation . We got into disaster clean-up for many years and found out there were things a person could do and make really good money at , and still satisfy the bad habit of farming . Today we farm and have a couple road trucks . I tell people I'm a Hobby farmer and a Hobby trucker and between the two it keeps the wolves away from the door . I don't necessarily think in most cases they farm for the tax write off but they work out to supplement the farm that they hope will someday be a full time profitable operation . Could be wrong though .

Comment

Of the few younger farmers [ less than 40] most have some family member working off the farm. Many reasons

See people

Get some value from your student debt.

Insurance

Income

Farmers are struggling to make a profit and raise a family

Too bad day care costs so damned much. for 2 kids in daycare, you need a pretty good job. My niece had her first child a few months ago. She certainly would like to stay at home and help on the farm and be a real mother.

Comment

When I worked in town if the twins wouldn't have been in grandma daycare I would have stayed home and been money ahead. Needed the bride to keep her job at Mayo clinic.

Comment

I just got to thinking about that when I was collecting custom work Bill's. We've got auctoineers, seed salesmen, insurance guys, mechanics, electricians, escavators, and computer guys in line at the elevator.

Comment

I am scratching my head on this one what brought this on FR ----------------------dave -------------------some times hard times bring out the best in people

Comment

As I said trying to collect can seem difficult when nobody is home because they are at their day job. And the good news I cant type faster than I think. Lol

Comment

frustrating at times good luck just keep knocking on his door morning and night you will soon catch him ----------------------------dave

Comment

FR try knocking on his door at 4am. pound good and hard ,I'll bet he comes to the door

Comment

I used to have one I had to follow his wife into the bedroom. Never had trouble getting paid after that!
                          Most over 40 around here do something on the side until they are retirement age. Then they just farm.
                          Some of the younger ones just farm with Dad and Grandpa. But it is all theirs!

Comment

Flying root, I had pretty good luck giving a gate post discount when I baled. You got a discount if you could pay me after I left the field and before I got home. I did stretch it to evening for the guys that worked in town.

Comment

I got it all so far I was just making general observation as I drove through my neighborhood. The tough ones to collect I can get to come to mom and dads ask mom to make a pie and send a text message to the old bachalor he really like pumpkin.

Comment

Working...
                              X