Clear All

• Some sites with blogs and videos pertaining to Wildfires last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQ4p6CGGvA&app=desktop

http://www.hpj.com/blogs/

http://www.hpj.com/livestock/livestock_news/

Comment

http://agfax.com/2017/03/09/kansans-...ing-wildfires/

Comment

Its really devastating seeing the pictures and videos of all the damage from the fires in Col. Kan. Ok. and Texas. Even if there is insurance, it seldom covers the total losses of feed, buildings, cattle and farm equipment. Unfortunately these farmers who have lost millions in cattle and equity don't live in California. Drought and fires don't impact people fro Republican states.I seen posts of truck loasds of hay heading into the burn areas. i'm wondering how much the hay prices jumped in the burned out areas, or if some is being donated?

Comment

First time to get on today, lots of things to do, have missed phone calls and messagegs.

ONE thing king, 479 called and said IF anyone could haul it, he would donate feed...I wasn't able to get the county extension office called today to give them 479's phone
          number, but I hope to get that done tomorrow...THANK YOU Dave and Margeret479!

What they are attempting to do is make sure someone doesn't get in the middle and try to make a profit from donated materials, they used to hang cattle and horse thieves, I know,
          that is only a suggestion.

Comment

Dennis, I understand. There always seems to be those kinda days Too much to do and everything s gets done in slow motion

Around here we have an over abundance of hay. but most is dairy quality. When you hire a trucker and load and pay him, the hay iss over priced even when donated..

I'm about thru growing hay. Got smarter in my golden years. If you put a value on the land, on the inputs, on the cutting raking, baling storing selling, hauling, risk getting stiffed.
            Not a profitable or pretty picture.

What percentage of the animals survived the fires??? It seemed to move so fast that nothing could get away or outrun the fire. I'm betting those cow calf guys are a little like dairyfarmers. the cattle become more than a source of income or a potential contributor to a cookout

Comment

They are still putting numbers together for losses....the ONE better thing, was still NOT in grazing season, so many of the cattle were NOT on open pastures, although some
              were, in winter areas for protection from storms, etc.

One "outfit" were cutting wires to get cattle to safety, stated they watched it move 3 miles in 5 minutes...

The cattle that survived are still being worked attempting to over come current and future problems related to smoke in the respiratory systems.

Comment

There is an amazing amt of hay and supplies coming in. As of yesterday, I believe there has been over 100.000 round bales of different grasses come in. I took some small bales of alfalfa that is horse hay, because that was their most pressing need at that time. They have had to shoot over 1 million head of cattle or horses. Maybe that includes all that were lost in all, but an amazing amt of livestock lost. Looking at the country side is just total devastation. It makes you sick to see it. Tank bastteries blown up. high lines down, no cell service because the towers melted. Sorry I have not posted as much lately. Have started practicine medicine again. retirement is not for me.

Comment

It does your heart good to see the response of the agricultural community. there were vans with food, medicine , what ever you might need,School kids taking their spring vacation to help with fences , move hay , and cowboys all over the place helping. even the girls were helping with directions . amazing,

Comment

Doc. I've been wondering if you had just given up on AW or had some health problems. Glad to hear you gave in to doing what you love. That is the measure of having chosen the right carreer'

I always admire how the rural people will do work to help the neighbors in need. There are still a lot of good people.

Comment

Thank you. Retirement was not for me. I love to take care of people and to solve they're problems.It seems that the older that I get the more cancer I see , but should be expected as I see mostly older people. Yes it was a major blow to the area and at least 100 miles away . We want to help our neighbors, because if the shoe was on the other foot they would be right here to help us. I lurk, but done't have time to get in a discussion. Politics is so devisive and I will say I am proud to be a republican. We have our scabs , but it is not the demorats. For the life of me I can not figure out mccain and graham. thanks.

Comment

With all the 'walking wounded' cattle that must be out there, who knows what the numbers will be, but a million head is equal to 1% of the nations herd, which makes it huge. There is no sense sending cattle to farms that have no grass or fences...I'll find one of those auctions and send them money.

Comment

If I heard right , There was a million head of cattle and horses sucumbed to the fire . Many had to be shot because of the injuries. A deep blow to the ag in that past of the country.Any help will be appreciated. They were very thankful for the aid, and all of the help they have received.

Comment

After watching to the end, it must be okay to show this site address...missed it on agweb home page I guess..

[video]http://www.cattlenetwork.com/wildfire-coverage-agday-tv?]

Comment

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/wildfir...d2NtTndHIn0%3D

Comment

Working...
                              X