No announcement yet.

AgWeb team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KH, I'm worried about the 5 year residual!!

Comment

I would suggest one bad a s s ed chemical and NOT a very good composting. Someone in the process fk'd up big!

Comment

Originally posted by cowsrus and kids View Post
        KH, I'm worried about the 5 year residual!!
        i knew what you were concerned about. I never heard of any weed killer with that kind of residual. i would be very concerned about the chemical getting in the food chain. Since a large percentage of dairy products are consumed by children, i think the possible fallout from consumer complaints would be tremendous even if the chemical is safe.

My post was a slight attemp at humor. Plus CC COOKIES are really good with milk

Comment

Percy here; my suggestion to Ron, or anybody, would be not to show our cards. I don't know a thing about said weedkiller, but today we are combatting the loss of salmon frys, and one of the accusations blame birth control hormones that get dumped into rivers via sewage treatment plants. Those little fishes seem really sensitive to some things. Some farmers feed larvicides to cattle so flies can't reproduce in their manure. Remember those Shell Strips? Hang 'em up in your house, and all your flies died, but you just about did too. Flea collars for your pets are another constant exposure that can literally kill the beast. The chemistry that's available is amazing, but there are side effects, and some take a while to show themselves.

Comment

Milestone is on the "exceptionally low risk chemicals " list.It would only take a second to google it and read about t's risks. Very safe.

I came on to talk a bit about the part I said about grazing the creek banks and flood plain. When the Land Conservation/Zoning Dept. drew up a grazing plan they drew in a creek crossing and 2 paddocks on the other side of the creek. Their plan was designed to keep cattle from tearing up the stream banks.

My biggest concerns were that having a lot of fencing near the creek would be a lot of trouble during times of high water and floods which happen a few times per year. The plan also needed a second farm road built to get the cattle to the crossing. I just wanted an efficient grid of rectangles with a well built lane down the middle of the farm and land on each side cut into rectangles from the middle lane out to the perimeter fence.

We met in our kitchen . They showed me the first draft of their plan. I said I thought it was not what I wanted. I told them I want the stream included IN the paddocks and that the animals crossing over the stream the full width of the paddock should be environmentally responsible. They said - We'll make you a deal. You try it your way. IF their is any dirt showing the you agree to rebuild your lowlands the way we have drawn it. The "NO EXPOSED STREAM BANK EROSION INCLUDES THOSE AREAS LEFT BY THE PREVIOUS OWNERS . Previous owners had one single pasture with a undersized culvert crossing put in. When flooding took out the gravel and left culverts and bare rocks the cows crossed next to the culverts and with daily use tore the stream banks during wet weather. Since the cows used the same spots to cros the creek every day there was no way grass could ever grow back in.

Well , after a year or two the clawed banks are covered by sod. The cattle still go through the stream and up the banks but only for 1 day in 23 or 35 days depending on the speed of our rotation. Most of the time the weather is dry and no damage happens. On rare occasion their could be some foot marks but with the long rest times they heal up quick.

Land Conservation / Zoning is very happy with the results. This plan was maximized acres grazed, very efficient , low maintenance and way ,way cheaper. Now land Cons. offers that option for creek lowland grazing for new grazers. They even featured it during a lot of pasture walks over the years. Win - win situation I say.
            Last edited by RON11; 05-14-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Good on you, Ron. Your definition of a creek must not be what I'm envisioning. If its a year round stream that could support fish, you would be SOL out here. 1 cowpie in that channel could make you a felon. You could plead your case if its an accident, but not deliberate. The way I understand it...you own the ground under the stream, the "people" own the water running over /thru it. The Native Americans out here think and act like they are the only "people".

Comment

You may have a good point Percy. My stream is intermittent and during the driest spells becomes a series of separate small shallow pools. Definitely can't support fish. Because it is "navigable" during high water it definitely is under the control of the federal government. The control boundaries on navigable waters are from 1 rod (16.5 feet ?) to as much as 50 feet depending on it's classification. When Obama Administration ordered the EPA to classify the US waterways so farmers knew how much control (feet) they had and how much control the feds had farmers got their undies in an uproar. They were happy when Trump's (anti) EPA stopped the official classifications as if that meant farmers would not have to follow the law. What it really meant is farmers still had to follow the laws AND would still get sued even if they claimed they didn't know the law. Farmers just have to stay 50 feet from the waters edge if they're not sure. Ignorance is no defense when it comes to law. (16.5 feet is a lot less than 50 too so I guess ignorance isn't bliss either)

The explanation I heard and believe is that the waterways of the US are like local roads. You own the land out to the property line. The "Public" owns the waterway and that includes the waterway itself BUT also a strip of land on both sides of it -like the ditches that go with local roads.. Can't plow , plant or spray those buffer strips either. Technically a person could walk from one road to another road by cutting across your land so long as they stayed along the stream banks. How close he has to stay depends on whether it is a creek , stream or river. At least that is how it was explained to me. That seems to fit since the "Public" can determine if they want us to be able to plow , spay , hay or etc. near waterways.Since that was the deal that came with the deed I'm not in a position to complain. Well I could complain - no one has to listen. ha
                Last edited by RON11; 05-16-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I believe it is 3 ft from waters edge in Mn. If you are walking 4 ft away from water technically you are trespassing. If the bank is raised above the water level by significant amount that makes t impossible to stay with in the 3 ft a person has to stay in the water. The access to the water is gained by using the 66ft road right of way next to any bridge.
                  Believe me when Mn came out with their buffer rule all the people that used to hunt along the river on our place were denied because they thought the buffer rule was great for them not realizing that they should have some skin in the game. And we were just following the recommendations of 5he mn corn growers.
                  Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

I'M ON!! Dang, are we dry! 5.5 inches in April, less than 1/2 inch in May. Lots of wind, but not hot temps, between 45 lows, and 65 highs, a coupla days above 80. Seeding down a 40 last fall has been our best decision in a while, we took 2+ ton of dry matter off 2-3 weeks ago, while everybody else is trying to irrigate the spring seeding up. The weeds generally win that proposition. BTDT. Plowed down some solid manure in a field that is my wettest, nothing even close to soggy. Crops that were mudded in a month ago look tough...otherwise things look good, but that will change without rain. Smoked some capacitors on a submersible pump, so that is down momentarily. Blown engines, clutches, disk bearings are all par for the course, but hurt worse with low milk prices. Hang in there.
                    Last edited by PERCY; 05-31-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X