Dairy Program Re-signup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dairy Program Re-signup

"We're from the Gov't, we're here to help you". Now will somebody explain to this lefthander what kind of help this newly amended program is? Two of the basic survival rules don't work here.1,.don't do anything you have to write a rubber check for, and 2, don't pre-sell a product you might not produce. Someone feeling your pain doesn't make the pain go away.

Well - you sound like a Republican and you got what you deserved. Republican House of Representatives write the changes , Republican Senate passes it and the Republican Dumph signed it. Obviously if it was made by the Republicans it ain't meant to help YOU ! They only look out for the wealthiest Americans and wealthiest Corporations. I'm willing to bet you ain't either of them. Am I right ? The same Republicans borrowed 1.5 Trillion Dollars from China to give to the wealthiest 1% in America as a present . Then gave the wealthiest Americans tax breaks that will cost us 1 Trillion MORE EACH YEAR (if the economy stays as strong as it is now). If we ever go into a recession it will be much , much more. I hope you got your share ! ha

As to the changes for dairy in the Farm Bill- Republicans LOWERED the payouts $1 per hundred across the board when they wrote the Bill the first time. That means the program pretty much NEVER PAYS OUT. EVERYBODY LOSSES MONEY ! The fixes - 1 run the numbers every month instead of every other month. Won't pay out any better but you will see how you wasted you premium dollars twice as often. Reminds you how dumb you were 12 times a year instead of 6. 2 waves the $100 sign up fee but only for a select few. The ones who could least afford to throw money down the drain in the first place. Their premium money will still be in the ****ter though. 3 lower premiums. Of course charging a bit less for insurance that never pays out ain't worth chit -imho. If you want it - go for it.I will NOT.

BTW - at least the Trumper Thumpers got the deregulations they wanted. KH Klan won't have to follow CAFO rules anymore. No more hours spent trying to keep chit out of the creeks and rivers. He can go back to going pizzing anywhere he wants. Now he can drop a deuce in the creek if he wants. No more road limits , no more ELD for the truckers . No more nutrient management plan money being wasted. At least the Trump Grumps will finally be making good money now that the Republicans and Trump are looking out for YOU. (unless I was right and Republicans NEVER gave a chit about YOU and voters who voted for them are just really really dumb) If I am wrong please share how well your vote has paid off for you.

Comment

Ron, I think Percy asked a question about the dairy program. I doubt if he is really concerned about your politics. anything Trump has done was done multiple times by the colored one and his cronies. Especially the national debt increases to bail out auto companies and big bankers and wall streeters.

If you want to start a thread about politics, ron, post one there! Here is not the place

The dairy program of today, is very similar to what obummer's regime installed years ago. It is and was called '''Farmers getting Fu cked"""

There is a program thru crop insurance that some people say helps a little But I see all these programs as a way to lock in a loss and fund a broker or government entity.

I'll have the KH klan haul a load of of liquid nurishment down 29 and dribble some in front of your yard.. I bet the CAFO ENFORCERS WILL BE LIVING IN YOUR YARD.

Meanwhile your cows will just keep chitting in the waters that abound in your swamp farm while munching and polluting.. There will be no lessening of CAFO rules under Trump just mine and electrical generators .

Comment

Ron , Im curious . In your week minded opinion , is there ANYTHING , or ANYWHERE that the government should not be doing for us or where they should not be intruding in our lives ? Maybe answer on a new thread so not to lead Percys thread astray .

Comment

Dairy folks , I can honestly say , I am so glad we exited the dairy side of our farm when we did . When I am hauling taters thru the U.P. and down thru lower Mi I still see tanker after tanker after tanker , etc , of good ol Mi. milk headed for Wisc. processing plants . I know there are new processing plants in the works but that still don't address the large overproduction of milk . It just allows the processors to make more as they dont have the extra costs of the long distance hauling on the milk . There is just to much milk and not enough usage ! The world has changed . Eating habits have changed . Dairy farmers need to understand they cannot Produce , Produce , Produce , when there is not the demand .

Comment

Thanks for all the help!!! Politicians on both sides of the aisle,[alley in this case] think talking points are all they need, but the 40,000 peasants that are left in this industry aren't quite that dumb. We have no need for cheaper insurance, only a need for higher prices. My dads comment was, "the problem with America? We can produce too much!" Its not the $15.00 milk so much as the $100/hr. repair man, $100,000 + tractors, taxes, etc. They,[a bank] are selling out a large producer in Ore., and wherever you watch dairy sales, the big buyer is the beef man. It isn't pretty, but it should be fast!!

Comment

Percy, I believe that dairy farmers are their own worst enemy. We are able to produce way too much product that has no market. if dairy farmers reduce production to raise prices, consumers rebel. WHY???? Cause for every dime more for raw milk the middle man gets 50 cents more. When the consumer pays more, the farmer is the guilty conspirator in increasing consumer prices. So consumers buy less milk and more silk or nut juices. That and processors just import more milk extenders to use to produce hard dairy products cheeper [spelled like this to honor our chief tweeter who is hell bent on destroying international trade]

Any insurance policies or government solutions do nothing but remove more money from the dairy sector. I don't think there is any quick solutions to low prices. the BTO dairies will expand faster than the common sense farmers sell out.

Comment

My argument for reducing the dairy surplus has always been "CULL". When comparing the week of March 15 , 2017, vs. 2018, [the latest available] dairy culls went from 55,000 last year, to 67,000 this year. If you increase culls by 10,000/week, that's a huge exodus. When cold storage reports start to show equal or less product year to year, prices will rebound. Culling gives you cash, and right now our beef prices are climbing. When the economy is good, people switch from chicken to hamburger.

Comment

Yes culling helps, but sexd semen and better management practices when raising calves pretty much negates the effects of extra culling. CAFO's just get more milk/cow little guys culling have small affects on total milk production. Culling is a temporary cash flow improver.. Good producing heifers milk more than old unprofitable culls

Comment

You're right, KH, but when the nation is supposed to have 60,000 extra heifers, culling even 5,000 extra a week will alleviate the pressure from the extras. Google Lost valley, Oregon, and you'll read about part of a reality check about the big getting bigger. Go to Cowbuyer and look up the Zylstra sale in Penn...the beef man made a killing there. As long as milk processors can buy distressed milk $3-5/cwt under market, it won't go away. When those loads disappear, things change fast. The only way we're going to save the little guy, is when land and inputs make it affordable for youthful energy to get a foothold; fat chance.

Comment

Percy, I wish there was a simple solution. wally world is getting milk and hard dairy products cheaper and cheaper... Dairy is the loss leader of many grocery chains. WHY???? Is it because farmers just keep on producing more and more? Farmers will never be able to produce their way out of low prices by increasing production. Also farmers are too independent and competitive to ever work together. Nearly all farmers raise all their heifer calves around here, if you have too many replacements you just sell replacements, cull heavier or milk more cows. Problem kicked down the road, but never solved

Comment

The MMP's lower premiums and retroactive sign up are a bone thrown to the small producers. If you do sigh up, you are pretty much guarantied to get more than you invested. Crop producers have subsidized insurance, now we do too... I'm not saying any subsidies are good, but I pay plenty into this country, now is a good time to get a little back....

Comment

Originally posted by IL Rafe View Post
                          The MMP's lower premiums and retroactive sign up are a bone thrown to the small producers. If you do sigh up, you are pretty much guarantied to get more than you invested. Crop producers have subsidized insurance, now we do too... I'm not saying any subsidies are good, but I pay plenty into this country, now is a good time to get a little back....
                          at what level do you feel comfortable? The program was set up to work in the Midwest, not so much in the rest of the USA. How they determine hay and meal costs really tweeks the formula. We couldn't ever purchase any inputs at their formula prices. My guess is there will be very little participation. We probably should ask some bankers first!

Comment

The program is NOT set up to work in the Mid-west. It pays the same wherever you are. It NEVER paid before why would it now ? The changes were 1 You can buy coverage for more pounds (with higher premium dollars spent , of course).2 cheaper premiums (on ins. that never pays. 3 They calculate your lost premium dollars monthly instead of every other month. Lost premium is lost money no matter how often you calculate it.

I want nothing to do with the new MPP . I have 72 tie-stall barn in Wisc.

Comment

So it looks like 3 to 1 against this so called Improvement. The cold, late spring might be the best solution we have going..running outta feed, or feed money. All you Middies will quit raising every calf, and allow ole KH to go fishing year round! Remember, heifers taste good, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X