Tiled mangers and feed strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiled mangers and feed strips

How durable are tiles used for feed strips and mangers ? I thought they were forever but a neighbor former of mine said the cows wore into his. Any thoughts? How long have you seen them last? Any tips on using tiles as feed surface ?

I wish they made everything out a that stuff they make skid plates on the bottom of bean heads never seem to w3ar out, just get wrecked on rocks
    Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

I put down plastic manger liners from Central Silo about 30 years ago. The liners are still in use now. Still smooth and slippery. No holes. Never came lose. Just filled in the rough areas with some lime on 1 row The rest we just fastened without any filling in rough spots, but couldn't see any difference. Tilers would need a very smooth surface to get a good bonding.

Very similar product to the skidd plates on bean heads

Comment

I have that plastic on my mangers now and it is in perfect shape after 20 years. I am going to replace the 50 stalls worth of pasture mattresses this summer. That means now is the time to replace the rusting out stalls. When I had a farm equip. co. come out to make an estimate on the mattresses they said the stalls need to be replaced at the same time. They were the ones who convinced me that I should put in tiles while the new manger cement was wet.

I now think Kinghere may have the best answer. I will knockout just enough manger to tip the front stall curb out. My ONLY dissatisfaction of the plastic manger liner is that mine is NOT fastened down. When brooming in feed over the last 20 years I have gotten some feed under the edges. In winter the plastic lays tight from end to end (100' each side of barn). BUT in summer heat the plastic expands and buckles up in one or more areas. During these times you do get feed under the plastic. I have lifted a short liner on other end of barn cleaned it out and flipped the plastic over. That put the edges that were warped from feed tipping the edges up and it lays very flat again.

Not laying tile means the seam between old and new cement can be under the manger liner. That means no cutting an edge with a saw either.

I'm going to look at what it would take to fasten the liner edges down. Maybe that would be the best result. THANKS GUYS !!!

Comment

UPDATE - plans have evolved.

First estimate -new stalls , tiled mangers , new Pasture Mattresses
          $9750 new Pasture Mattresses
          $3,000 ready mix concrete approx. 25 yrds
          $750 for 12 new stalls to add to 38 new stalls for FREE from brother.
          $500 tiles 400 12x12
          $20,000 labor -TIME +MATERIAL--knock out old concrete,install new stalls,install mattresses, install tiles in manger

TOTAL = $34,000 Actual cost probably over $40,000 since it is TIME + MATERIAL (according to CHUCK who is also in the barn equipment business.) NOT A CASH FLOW PROJECT

Second estimate - new stalls , new mattresses , keep plastic manger liners , mostly farm labor
          $9750 new pasture mattresses
          $2000 ready mix concrete
          $750 for 12 new stalls to add to 38 new stalls for FREE from brother
          $2000 labor from dealer install mattresses
          $1000 labor Chuck foreman

TOTAL = $15,500 BUT means a ton of work by me. Removing old mattresses , mounting up pipeline , cutting welded dividers from stall fronts , removing drinking cups and pipes , etc. , etc. BUT NOW ADD breaking concrete , removing concrete , forming cement , pouring cement , finishing cement , stripping forms , etc., etc.

A CASH FLOW PROJECT but a chit load of free work !!!

While milking cows alone one morning I came up with a third plan.Since my stalls have plastic liners on both sides of each neck hole they are still in great condition after 40 years. The middle pipes which include a full sized one in the middle which the drinking cups mount to and two "filler pipes" that keeps the cows heads in the neck hole have no plastic rust protectors and are stating to come out. I do mount lock-ups to the front of the stalls during the grazing season and those filler pipes also direct cows into the lock-ups. The good thing is the rust is only on the bottom inch or two. THE SOLUTION - add 4 inches of fiber and rebar re-enforced concrete to the top of the curb which will leave all the stall pipes held by good as new full strength pipes. The thin rusted area will be fully under cement. Simple forming , pour both sides (25 stalls on each side of barn) at one time from one minimum load , no air hammering or carrying out old concrete, etc. I would have made the feed manger curb 4 inches higher if I was doing a new curb anyway so that's not a problem. It's PERFECT. And it can be done in 1 day.

Third estimate-raise curb 4 inches. Hire new mattresses installed
          $9750 new mattresses
          $500 small load charge fiber re-enforced concrete.
          $2000 for dealer to install mattresses
          $400 Chuck concrete foreman 1 day

TOTAL = $12,650 DEFINITELY A CASH FLOW PROJECT. But we SAVE an azz load of work spread out over weeks of summer.This is HUGE ! I get new mattresses which I need this year.I get good stalls for as long as the mattresses will last (15 years ?) which I will need. I get higher curbs which I wanted although that isn't as important. I get all this from cash flow AND I don't have to work my azz off during summer ! I love this solution. I'm really happy I brought this up here on Agweb Dairy ahead of time. Thanks Again fR and KH !
          Last edited by RON11; 03-18-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Ron, I hope your updating project turns out well Money is tight, even for grazers. Milk prices really suck, but facilities still need to be maintained. even with the low prices, I still miss being able to milk cows and make the every day decisions needed in dairy farming. You have to be doing pretty good to be spending any money extra above everyday operating expenses.

With the cows on pasture, it is relatively easy to make facility changes. i always enjoyed milking in my tie stall barn. But if I knew than, what i know now, i would have put in free stalls and a simple parlor. So much less maintanance and faster and easier when laborers are in scarce supply. I had new york style tie stalls with mattresses and plastic manger liners and gutter grates. We bedded the stalls with shavings. Major mastitis problems with bare mattresses or wet sawdust..

Are you putting down the regular filled mattresses or are you using the thick all rubber mattresses? We had both over the years, and definitely had a favorite style of mattress
            Last edited by Kinghere; 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I'll make you feel good too....the ready mix is a bargain when comparing OUR local price, including 28 miles from plant to job site...several loads, the bill was $189 a yard!

Comment

Hi KH.
                We have (had?) similar set-ups. I have regular tie stalls(Berg brand I think) with plastic manger liners and Pasture Mattresses. Those are the ones that have a heavy duty top cover over a shredded rubber filled mattress. The mattress part is two layers of industrial felt sewn in long rows and then those long rows are stuffed with shredded recycled car tires. I like that they are fastened all the way around and under the dividers. Keeps bedding from getting under them. I'm right with you on the shavings too. I use bagged because I don't need to much (3) per day when cows stay in and bed shavings once a week when we graze. Bagged is more money but for a one man operation the convenience is worth it to me.

My younger brother got back into farming in 2008 and he went with parlor , free stalls and feed strip.The start up cost difference made it a no brainer. He likes his mechanical scraping , no silo unloaders he likes the cow udders up high for milking. I like working in the warm temperatures and closer with the cows.Maybe ignorance is bliss - but it is bliss none-the-less !

Milk prices are lower and not having bank payments makes a huge difference. My pet projects to improve profits this year is long day lighting and being more hands on when it comes to my feed ration. So far things seem to be improving the bottom line. BTW - The calving barn/heifer shed is working beautifully for calving ,so far. No more midnight runs to the barn night after night. Pretty soon the frozen dirt lot the heifers are on will begin thawing and that shed is going to have to add 22 heifers. Not sure how well that's going to work.We'll just bed more often for this year and make improvements for next year.That's the plan anyway.

Good Day Everyone !

Comment

I ran into your chief contractor yesterday.. Haven't seen Chuck in a few years.. He explained a little about your ideas, Your ideas are pretty good considering the dairy industry's profit levels.

You mentioned raising the curbs to re inforce the rusting Berg stalls. If those berg stalls have that bell shaped bottom that I'm familiar with, Will raising the curb enable cows to get their front legs entangled in the loser chains. Cows seem to have an innate ability to commit suicide when ever the opportunity is present..

Its sad how hard farmers work to make a living, and then to hear that a really good friend who very recently retired from dairy farming is being treated for an advanced respratory disease.

Only the good die young, the rest of us must be sinners

Comment

Yeah they are bell shaped. Will need to check and shorten chains if needed. Good point. Preventing suicides is a full time job ! haha. One time had a beautiful heifer stick her head in a hay wagon , got stuck between hay and the inside partition and hung herself. She could have easily just stood there till I would have seen her and could have easily freed her. She had to purposefully hang her own weight from her head till she passed out and died. Built a calving / heifer barn last fall. Brother said if the bedded pack gets high I should be aware that heifers and cows could stick their heads down between the inside planking and the outside wall. If the outside plank is near the top they can get their head stuck in the wall and , yes , they will hang themselves. My brother lost one.

I know what you mean about farmers working hard their whole life only to die too young. My brother in law , Rick Raush died a few months ago after working over 80 hours per week his whole life. Had a pain in his thigh that turned out to be cancer that had already spreead everywhere. Really a nice good man dead at 58. Now his brother is trying to keep the 1000+ cow dairy running. Adding lower milk prices and spring work just days away on top of loosing your brother and partner - that is a really tough break.

I went in for my " 50 year old free colonoscopy" and end up getting my heart jump started in the ER afterwords to try and stop the A-fibrilization (irregular heart beat). The paddle shock fixed it for a little while. Now I have to live with the chance of sudden death. I took a hard look at my life and decided I am going to do what I want to do. I'm going to do what I like to do. Good or bad I really enjoy dairy farming. That is what I'm going to do as long as I can.

Comment

Ron, This love of dairy is a hereditary disease. My son Dan just commented how sharp you were in EHS He was one year ahead of you in school. He actually said you were pretty sharp . I didn't know you were Rick's BIL. I knew Rick for 40 years. as good a guy as I ever knew. Drinking beer and talking farming was his passion. Such an easy guy to talk to. when they expanded their operation, I found it hard to keep in touch with him. those BTO dairy farmers are so over worked and over regulated that their lives are pure Hell!

As far as i ever knew rick was more of a pusher and a better cow man than his brother. Maybe Allen and Miltrim may combine operations..??????? Tough to do, but dumber things have happened.

As much as I enjoyed holsteins, their suicidal desires drove me up the wall. Knick a teat, get mastitis. Back in a corner to have a calf, dead calf. Lay on a hill with their back on the lowside. and and bloat and die..

Those anal picture appointments are not pleasant. . But i never heard of that kind of reaction. i wish you luck and good health. We have so few sensible farmers left. Evwery body ready to give up sell out and say fu vk it.

Dan said to say HI

Comment

Heart defib from rectal exam sounds like they used to long of scope to me
                        Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

FR - that's what I thought. How far do you have to go to get to the heart from there ? They must have added a couple of chimney broom extensions to reach the heart from there , right ? But like all of us men who get lost while driving there is always an excuse. Missed the turn , turned left instead of right or in this case "we're lost but we are bound to hit a road sooner or later !" haha..I guess I should be glad they didn't come out my nose with that anal scope...

........The reason my doctor gave "You must have had a reaction to the sedative". I guess another half cc and I would have been headed to the funeral home instead of the ER.? I do feel lucky though.
                          Last edited by RON11; 03-29-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Kh - yeah I knew Dan , didn't know he was your son. Seemed like a good guy to me.We had quite of few classes together.

Rick Raush was the herdsman and Al was the cropping guy. Of course in those modern dairies both guys were fully involved in all the aspects of the dairy. Alan actually has an agronomy degree and worked as an agronomist for the Athens Co-Op for years. Both guys are as nice a guys as you could ever meet. Each worked as hard as 2 men and over the decades have built a really nice modern 1000 cow dairy. Rich's wife always took care of all the calves and managed the workers in the parlor. She too was dedicated to the dairy.Really a shame how things can change so fast. Rick was sick with cancer for 8 (?) months.

Alan is negotiating with an out of town buyer but you can imagine how tough that can be. Nothing is agreed to until everything is agreed to.
                            Last edited by RON11; 03-29-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Don't get a big head ronny, just sticking a thread up to get rid of a spammer that got banned by Jen!

Comment

Working...
                              X