No announcement yet.

Dairy swimming up chitt creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, out here next to the desert, snow load, wind/straight line AND tornado, fire and earthquakes are some of ma natures chit fit flingers. unlike some, flooding in NON-flood
    areas is NOT common....

Comment

E-5 tornados, or any tornado for that matter, are in a league by themselves. But c'mon guys, a little bit o' wind and snow in Sconni leads to a huge mess? Why does Mich. have such chitty roads? For the most part, you hafta PAY to PLAY. Since this is a dairy site, why does Mich. have too much milk, and not enuf processing? Plants cost money, and we wanna keep it all. Sconni had a bunch of collapsed barns a few years ago...most traced back to one contractor!! I've got a saying, "there's 1 week every 15 years that makes us all equal" bitter cold, extreme heat/humidity, fire, flood, ice, you make your own list, but there are 3 times in the average adults life that are memorable, and usually costly. I, for one, don't plan on moving into tornado alley, and living in a double-wide.

Comment

Percy, Whats wrong with tornados or living in a double wide? Been in both! A tornado is great to watch. The power and destructive forces of the winds are unreal. the amount of destruction in a few moments is unreal. Between insurance and good neighbors life usually goes on!.

You are correct about certain contractors that seem to have more collapses. But the building designs of having large T shaped buildings that are weaker in that area and need to be free span are more prone to holding snow on the roof. Also the location of the barns increase the chances of having excess snow build up on the roof. Some locals have a cleaning service come to the farms in fall and totally wash the barn roofs to help in keeping snow sliding off. Between traffic and fans pulling moist air out of barns the big roof areas collect a lot of dust and dirt over the growing season. Prevention is a good idea

A couple winters ago we has a local contractor come in and use a big track hoe to clean the snow and ice off a bunch of barns around here. It cost some money, but way cheaper than a rebuild. He cleaned off the snow and never even scratched the metal roof. Some guys are good with big equipment.

Comment

Fun to watch, KH? You must be referring to "stormy" Daniels!!! Realistically, the lowest bidder is the lowest for a reason. Lower pitched roofs don't shed snow like an alpine ski hut, but a well placed lammy and triangle bracing on rafter ends quickly doubles the load bearing. A 2x12 fir will sustain a ton at a 16 foot span, just make sure its well anchored. Whenever I build, my biggest concern is keeping it from flying away!! My barn and a 747 have a lot in common,a sloped roof/wing, and wind providing pressure underneath, and a vacuum above. Make sure you anchor those posts to a LOT of concrete!

Comment

Right on, root, I decided to buy my own seed to do my buffer, ( no cost sharing) and not sign anything. I will be in compliance, and will be able to cut
            hay without getting permission. This is the first day I have been able to post since the 25th of April. Did the Einstein's who run this site
            go to Minnesota and are now processing our vehicle registrations and license renewal's?? We bought a new vehicle last September,
            and still have not received our title. 82, can you give us a little input on this issue? Havn't heard from you lately. Maybe you are still
            in Florida. Wish I was there, not going out everyday with the track skid loader trying to pick a few rocks, and still running into FROST. I
            don't think there will be any serious field work until Monday, if the rain stays south of us. Road postings are still on here. Our township roads are in
            worse shape now then a month ago. It takes a long time to haul much with only the front hopper on the trailer loaded, Good thing I'm only a few miles
            from the elevator.

Comment

2 yeas ago I was mad enough that when the dnr got a complaint from some non thinking idiot about how they had to get out and portage their canoe around a beaver damn, they sent someone out to trap the beaver. I went down with the chain saw and helped thelittle guys.
              Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

bs

Comment

Working...
                X