Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JR. You forget that Christmas cheers in excess make a lot iof people really grumpy. LOL I never drink that much tho. LOL

It seems like every report I read about dairy supplies show major excess production. with butter prices often pushing $5.50/pound, shoppers will continue buying less. Industry will find cheaper substitutes for high priced butter, or just use less. Meanwhile Grassland is buying up big farms and Major cheese factories and other businesses are buying or building there own farms to cut prices.

A loT like whaT $8.00 corn did to corn prices. People find other ways to cut the amounts of high cost ingredients being used.

This year, if I had rented out my land, and left my rented land go and bought the corn from a neighbor and hasuled it to the coop I would have lost less money.

While talking to some dairy farming friends, I'm hearing the same story. No money. Lenders around here will be cutting off operating loans for many farmers of all ilks

Comment

• Do you folks think your cold weather will cut a bunch of production off of the top? I realize most of your newer facilities are built 'for the cold'. A frozen pipe here, a snowed in employee, cold silage...little things become big things at times like these. Percy

Comment

• No, I doubt if cold weather in the Midwest will lower milk production. Us middlies are pretty used to cold weather. Even old tie stall barns were not affected by the cold.. Severe blizzard might impact milk pickups, but local county workers usually will open up roads and drives to get milk picked up. Cow health is actually better in persistant cold. Huge temperature swings and high humidity has a bigger impact on milk production. In winter what else do dairy farmers need to do but feed cows milk cows eat cheese and drink beer???

Comment

• Originally posted by cowsrus and kids View Post
          Do you folks think your cold weather will cut a bunch of production off of the top? I realize most of your newer facilities are built 'for the cold'. A frozen pipe here, a snowed in employee, cold silage...little things become big things at times like these. Percy
          No, I think milk prices are gonna suck for awhile. Cheap feed, plentiful labor (thanks to undocumenteds), low interest rates.......all these things will keep prices in the gutter.

I was going through boxes of old records from the farm we rented before we bought this place. In the fall of 1985, we received $13.20 for our milk. Thirty-three years ago. What is the Mar 2018 class III futures today? $13.57.

Comment

• Hey Percy !! Just wondering what your thoughts are on the new trade agreement with Canada is ? Gonna help or hurt the price of milk ? I don't see futures doing much . Are your neighbors to the nort grumbling a lot ? Or ,, is the whole thing just a lot of smoke ?

Comment

• Too bad you sold your parlor, DAN!! You're gwanna miss the halleluyah hiway to eternal financial heaven!! There's nothing wrong with the trade agreement, especially the part keeping the Canadians from dumping their powder on the world market at the lowest price. IMHO, our prices will NOT come up until cold storage stocks drop at the same time as our production drops. There are way too many heifers out there, we aren't even culling enuf cows to get the milkflow decreasing. Sexed semen is selling way too well.

Comment

• flavored milk back in school lunch programs after thy master muchy developed her special program!

Comment

Working...
                X