ECI, r3020 and eastern Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECI, r3020 and eastern Indiana

You guys OK out there? Looks like you're getting some pretty dry weather that way and lots of fire risk. Keep the extinguishers charged.

Stay safe everyone.

MOCLO: you clean up real nice for work, Thank you and Sara for the tour and lunch yesterday.

Comment

There's a crew here working on a gas pipeline. The crew leader said he saw a burned out combine on his way home to the Richmond area last night. Don't skimp on blowing out your machines regularly.

Comment

There was a fire today about 6 miles to the west. Jumped two roads and burned 1,000 acres. Heard the fire was a mile long. Temps mid 90s, low humidity, and 20-30 MPH winds not a good mix. Suppose to be windier tomorrow.

Comment

Greg , it's a tinder box here , I will post up a link to the fire south of 3020 , what a fire ! we have been shelling down wind so if something on the combine caught fire it would not be in standing corn .

[url]http://www.wthr.com/story/13206419/dry-conditions-spark-huge-field-fires-in-several-counties[/url]

Where are the boy's from Missoula , LOL I think we could use them and there bombers .

Thanks Greg , Ken

Comment

I donno! But . . . if it is so dry everything is catching on fire. I think I would order a case of Corona and sit on the porch til it rained. I would not be running in any cornfield, you know crop insurance does not cover grain loss by fire. First snow in Colorado this morning. Adios amigos. John

Comment

John we talk'd about that yesterday , if we should just quit but we have 125 next to the road so what to do we shell'd . It was 94 and winds gusting to 35 yesterday , humidy at 35 ! Rain in IL this morning BUT it's running into this dry air , we will know by noon if rain or NOrain , I betting on little rain at best , It is Scary here , Wearing rubber booties to keep sparks down if we were to kick a rock , LOL Wind is aready wipeing here .
              Never saw them on TV have us under a fire watch and Warning like this .
              Well got to get , I got to get up in the fire tower . Ken

BTW if you click on the lnk on the right hand side just above the pics. you can clink on videos , some good air shots , Damn this tower is tall
              Last edited by ECI; 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM.

Comment

ECI, get down from that tower, ya fool!! You will be swayin in the wind. You would think Dman would share a little of that rain, don't you?

We finished up corn yesterday, doesn't seem wise to try and move and set up an augur to a bin this morning. Have had a few combine
                fires in the area. When you see black smoke, ya know it is not good. You all be safe.

Comment

John, haven't heard what caused the big fire yesterday. About a week ago one started in a neighbors shelled off end rows. He saw it and got it stopped. They think that was a cigarette. We are going has hard as we can, who knows when some idiot gets the idea it is fun to start these fires and watch them burn.

Ken, doesn't matter much which side of the field you are on, if ones catches it will go through the shelled stuff almost as fast as the standing corn, just would be easier to see. With the high winds not much chance of putting either out. I couldn't believe the way those beans burned yesterday, Ive never seen a bean field burn.

BTW John, we had a small fire last year, crop hail payed the loss. Trouble is this year, with the higher prices, we are under insured.

Comment

r3020 - I must have been misinformed, I did not know Federal Crop covered unharvested corn lost by fire. I am having breakfast with my crop insurance agent in about three hours, I am going to ask him why I thought it was not covered. We had rain most of the day yesterday, bridges were taken out in North Missouri, I am surprised that the cold front is blowing out before it reaches the desert up there. Just keeps raining here, next week looks good but cold. lol. John

Comment

John, I think his crop hail paid the loss not multiperil.

Comment

you boys are going through what ses and Dennis do every year in the desert take care out their get you a tractor and disk hooked up combine around around your fields then disk it especially next to the road because of the guys smoking, looks as though John Iowa glowplug and dairyfarm are hording all the rain -------------------------------dave

Comment

It used to be for $5.00 a policy on wheat, milo, soybeans, etc... so they just do it in the desert areas....neighbor had a soybean fire started by a beater bearing (CIH, by the way)a couple years ago...lots of smoke---wasn't that much to burn, but anything that would burn tried.

Stay safe--everyone

Comment

Guys, stay tuned to the AgWeb page on the questions re: the coverage for fire. I've got somebody looking into that one right now and we'll have something soon, provided we can catch the right people at RMA.

Comment

You guys and the cigs crack me up. Years ago I had a wheat stubble field that I wanted to burn off. Me and my hired man threw our cigs into a very dry pile of chaff. Nothing. And FWIW cigs today are FSC. They won't even stay lit while you're smoking them. lol. Lastly, everybody I know that smokes is super careful.

Comment

Working...
                              X