No announcement yet.

2020 Crop Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

notill works here till it doesn't, on lighter soils it works well, on our clays it works some till it gets hard, I agree with the disk , but some times?????? what our soils here need are some form of cover crops that root in

Comment

Might wait till Mar. to start back at combining going to let it dry out as much as possible on its own.
      the guys hauled corn to mill last week and the guy at mill said somewere bringing it in at 27%M we're not doing that

Comment

Most of the corn around here was combined last week. Snow is quite abundant and the temperatures have been well below freezing.

Now we plant the cover craps. Gotta keep the citiots happy.

Around here manure is the most common soil amendment. CAFOs must inject the manure and can not spread when ground is frozen or snow covered,

With dairy manure and a good crop, we can apply about 18,000 gallons per acre. Thats close to 1 inch of extra liquid that does not evaporate, Since we will be spreading in spring when all the weight limits are on things ccould get late and hurried.

I tried no till on many soil types over the years. Light soils, rotated no manure worked pretty good. If spring was wet and cool, sluggs killed our stands and yields'

We will continue to work our soils. the one time that BLACK is the best. Covercraps are a crap shoot We tried cover crops right after chopping silage and it didn't survive the manure injection

Comment

Originally posted by Kinghere View Post
          Most of the corn around here was combined last week. Snow is quite abundant and the temperatures have been well below freezing.

Around here manure is the most common soil amendment. CAFOs must inject the manure and can not spread when ground is frozen or snow covered,

With dairy manure and a good crop, we can apply about 18,000 gallons per acre. Thats close to 1 inch of extra liquid that does not evaporate, Since we will be spreading in spring when all the weight limits are on things ccould get late and hurried.

I tried no till on many soil types over the years. Light soils, rotated no manure worked pretty good. If spring was wet and cool, sluggs killed our stands and yields'

We will continue to work our soils. the one time that BLACK is the best. Covercraps are a crap shoot We tried cover crops right after chopping silage and it didn't survive the manure injection

LMAO king...since I'm MORE than even 25 miles from your area, I'm going to stfu, EVEN if I do have a few "theories" about WHY sometimes things work and sometimes things don' work...

I shall return!

Comment

Originally posted by The Duke View Post
            Might wait till Mar. to start back at combining going to let it dry out as much as possible on its own.
            the guys hauled corn to mill last week and the guy at mill said somewere bringing it in at 27%M we're not doing that
            Check stored grain regularly, especially if your corn went into the bin a bit wetter than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinghere View Post

King, are trying to tell us that farmers are actually trying to establish a covercrop in the dead of winter? Where are ECI's snowpeas when you need them?

Comment

Originally posted by PERCY View Post

King, are trying to tell us that farmers are actually trying to establish a covercrop in the dead of winter? Where are ECI's snowpeas when you need them?
                Ya we bought some of that Snowpea seed from the ECI Feed and Seed store several years back . That windbag salesman told us we would NOT have a problem in the future with volunteer snowpea seed growing back . Well , guess what ,, the crap has been growing back worse and worse each winter since then . Its to the point , I think it may even be an invasive species . AND , now where is that sales guy from the ECI Feed and Seed store ? Seems he collected his money and ran !

Comment

my 2020 crop year just received another drastic set back ower levy has breached again with all the heavy rain we received it put the old man river above flood stage again I was giving us a 50 50 chance of a crop this year now I am thinking 10% the on slot will not recede I will try and check my wheat this afternoon but may have to use my buddy drone------------------------------------------dave

Comment

Don't feel bad! You are not alone in your predicament! Local bottom guys here are planning on flooding out this coming year. I think the dams are still pretty full and they have dropped the river way down.
                    No crop gives you more time for family.... There is always a bright side.

Comment

Originally posted by PERCY View Post

Percy, Sorry, I forgot to add that [sarcasm intended] was my message.

Experts [50 miles or more] seem to think that we have plenty of time to establish cover craps after fall harvest. The government provides subsidies for doing cover crops. Some guys took fertilizer spreaders and blew on rye and brassicas and clover. It rained and rained so the cover crop grew but the beans were still waiting. So the covercrop was 8 inches tall and the beans were 18 inches tall. Harvest was not fun!!!!

Comment

And my late father in law kept reminding ME of a couple times 60 years or so back, they planted clover in the wheat...I understand it was planted at the same time...and it
                        rained and rained....IN KANSAS...and it was a bi t ch with those ole gleaners...

the upper end "cover guys" even fly on the seed...especially in the CORN...

who da phuc would plant cover in soybeans? lol
                        Last edited by dennis1; 01-12-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

guys what is going on yesterday evacuations was ordered on the Mississippi basin around Jackson for a possible Dam failure and levy Breaches with water levels at record height How is this possible after the record rain and flooding we had last year how are you guys to propose to move barges to move last year crop with the Missip already shut is we have already Breached here it is worsening by the day now flooding rain here again Friday-----------------dave

Comment

all the analysts are touting a big increase in planted acres as pp ac come back into production,but with flooding still going on and ground still saturated over a big part of the country not sure acre will increase a much as predicted as we move closer to spring any planting delays will have traders nervous

Comment

we are wet , but we will roll by mid April , we have to on this sand

Comment

we had an insurance meeting the other night --Another company trying to move into this area- and with them was the RMA regional officer he controls nearly all of the south if you have a claim it goes through him AT THIS POINT I WIILL post this to STEFFYs region Steffy they are watching you area very close satellite and Drone when your corn and bean date closed the Ticker started any and all forward progress is being Daly noted the way he put it you must make an attempt if crop is left for harvest that was not destroyed some thing about a 72 hr notice and also if crop is still standing in spring and it stops you from planting they will not give you PP I say again no PP they are looking for any infraction not to honor PP His words not mine ----------------------------------dave

Comment

Working...
                                X