No announcement yet.

2019 crop year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy o boy, king, you just can't resist grouping clover, dandelions, and grass in the weed category, can you? LOL Time for you desert farmers to adjust to cool season wet feet crops that love manure .No way do I know what you sprayed on that ground to recommend a crop for a fill in forage, but don't knock grasses that have proteins and digestibilities that far exceed alfalfas in cool climates! Be a maverick, but don't plant Jerusalem artichokes!

Comment

The grasses suck Already 11% protein. Alfalfa [what little survived] 22%. When the temperatures hit 80 and the water shuts off, those wonderful grasses turn brown and crawl back into the earth.
      You live in a different world than here. Some years grasses are OK but normally the yields are way less than alfalfa. Those dead hay fields were not sprayed with anything.. We will plant more corn for silage. Best choice in a list of bad choices. Corn is the most palatable late season crop. No prevent plant. Need feed You know Peices of green stuff chopped into short pieces to cure out . A lot of new seeding alfalfa was planted to provide a good source of protein. Corn silage makes the energy and bulk.

When ever I used to hit grass or alfalfa grass mixes, the feed consumption and milk production took a big drop

Comment

You're right about deep rooted alfalfa being more drought tolerant than grass, but you are using your grandpas grass genetics. Get yourself some festuliam sp.. that has meadow fescue, not tall fescue, as one of its parents.The ryegrass parent gives you lotsa protein, and that meadow fescue tolerates the heat well. If you would plant it in an alfalfa field, and waited to cut it when the alfalfa is ready, you would be making 2 cuttings at once. That would be heifer feed! Our 3rd will be going down next week..all the proteins have been higher than distillers, and more digestible.

Comment

We grow alfalfa. Festoleum has been tried Great feed the 15th of May But tha cutting will basically kill alfalfa. Alfala needs a few buds and 1 crop should at least have a few blooms.

Nearly all out alfalfa is round up ready Weeds in the seeding year are controlled by roundup or raptor. Both kills the grass that was mixed with the alfalfa seed.

When it gets to the middle to latter part of June and the temperatures are in the upper 80's and we get a 1/2 of rain in a 3 week period, the grass is dead.

Some of our poorer fields have grass and or clover mixed with the alfalfa. These fields make nice heifer and calf and steer feed. Very seldom fed to milk cows. This year may be an exception.

I'll let you know how we fare

Comment

Have watched deer spread field bindweed for years, would tell people how they were spreading it, and they would give me the "deer in the head lights" eye shake stare, BUTT
            this article does prove MY point...
            With Palmer amaranth having reached Minnesota, researchers there have identified manure as a pathway of introduction to cropland. Check out these tips from the University of Minnesota for eradicating this noxious weed. . . .

Comment

and we press on was told Saturday they had started Milo harvest in south Texas were starting Corn Monday trying to get it in before the Hurricane season starts their what a Fracking mess we have its unbearable----------------------------------------------------dave

Comment

We went to witchita today. From salina south, water standing everywhere. They must have had one h of a toad strangler south of McPherson. Creeks were out in the fields, water running everywhere. Saw a little wheat had been cut in a couple places. Saw wheat, corn and beans underwater. What a mess.

Comment

and all that JITTTTTTTT comes my way ----------------------------dave------------------------------------*6 today

Comment

Olathe,KS reported 5.0 and, I believe the golf course, McPherson, 7.5, and Oklahoma City I-44 closed due to flooding..and for ME, feeling what an earthquake feels like is nothing
                    in comparison to the water-water, other than our forecast is for hot coming our way. The skitters are BIG, and numerous too!
                    Multiple road closures and water rescues are reported Thursday across the Oklahoma City metro due to major flooding.

Comment

• stories boy do I have stories --swift water rescue -- roads closed- hu roads gone - bridges gone- this is the year for it 6 here last night a lot of 7s some 10 --in one 24 period we can not get a break not too many days ago WE watched the River gobble up two run away barges loaded with nitrate as they hit a DAM and sank in a minute poof its gone only here can you find most of these horror stories the land of operantly is fast going down the drain ------------------if it continues we could break 100 inches this year----------------dave

Comment

• May 2018 to April 2019 is the wettest 12-month period on record in continental United States

Comment

• What happened out there dennis? You guys get a bad bunch of tacos? 3 earthquakes in two days. Better take a break, lol.

Comment

• I'll just listen to Don, lol

Comment

• Lets see if this goes through. Read today that corn will qualify for PP. Since we don't do those kinda things, help me out here. Lets just say that you plant 75 day corn today, intending it for silage, but come Oct 1st, you have 2 honkin' big ears on it. My assumption is you may chop it, but not combine it? What about high moisture shelled corn? I realize Billie Sol Estes is dead, but there is a chance that he reproduced prior to that! lol

Comment

• That's encouraging to hear Manhattan is on a fault line. I already knew that. And some engineers back in the late 50's decided that would be the place to build a dam with the whole town just below it.

Comment

Working...
                                X