No announcement yet.

2019 crop year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished picking what corn we had, NOT bragging, NEED a 1 in front of those numbers we recorded to be impressive, but the kitchen sink was NOT thrown in
    for fertility, seemed like different soil made a difference on dropped ears, that's from the combine seat!

Still 2 loads to get to the elevator, going to run out of time today, have a "birthday" party at 3 for the next to youngest grand daughter, then the annual
    "Goblins Glory", our local FFA annual funding event, with kids games and bingo, but starting with Chili or vegetable soup supper, then the games and
    auction after the kids Halloween costume parade, fun for all.

Looks like might have to get combine ready for milo in snow flurries...Monday and Tuesday are still forecast with chances here too.

Still a lot of acres of corn and milo in this area, I believe the soybeans have been finished locally.

Stay safe everyone, hearing from bird hunters and archery deer hunters...hope the weather clears so everyone can get in a good run next couple of weeks.

Comment

• Finished my one farm of corn yesterday. Sounds similar to yours dennis. Ended up at 110 and knew it wouldn't be great because of the drowned out areas, but sure thought it would be better than that. Farm is fairly flat and every low spot, even though the corn didn't drown out, just didn't have much for an ear. Crawl out of those areas onto just a bit of a raise and the corn was good. From the few guys I've talked too, results sound similar. Good beans, mediocre corn and milo..

Comment

• Glad some one is getting some thing done the old Monsoon is setting in again here we have already set October rain fall records for he year expecting another two tonight so we are to be way over some wheat has bin planted not a lot but it may dround I was to put a couple hundred in had the seed ordered but not took possession I may not need it now may just go rent some dirt pans and build ponds and raze catfish or crawdads' ---------------------------dave

Comment

• Started snowing here about 6:30 tonight. Isn't supposed to amount to anything. Still a lot of crops to be harvested in my neighborhood. I'm down to 15 acres of milo.

Comment

• Bean head clean up tomorrow run 20 bushels dry corn through grain leg and dryer to flush out system then set u augers to the bin. As luck would have it we needed a boom lift for another project so wont have to climb this year to open bin lif or grease leg gearbox.
            Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

• Stared snowing at around 4 today. Coincidently that is the time we got done moving and got the bean head on. Dad said we just as well quit.. I figured he was right but since we spent the day moving I figured I should at least try. We ran until 11:00. Ground was getting to sticky. Beans were still threshing good but snow was sticking to the combine. As luck would have it, it stopped snowing 1/2 mile from the field.

Comment

• Comment

• We're plugging away on corn. ( I have the propane supplier on speed dial.) My daughter is home running the combine for a few days. A good friend of mine texted
                  me this morning. He only has half his beets lifted, and on the rest of them, there is water in the rows during the day, and ice in the morning.
                  Glad I never took the plunge for sugar beets. Main reason for not getting into them was not enough labor available.
                  My son and grandson will be home for a long weekend to help starting Friday. My daughter has to work her three 12's at
                  the hospital then, unfortunately, its nights. Shift work ages a person way to quick.
                  Be careful out there, No climbing bins with ice on the ladder.

Comment

• © Reuters/Lucas Jackson FILE PHOTO: The sun lights a corn field waiting to be harvested near Akron, Iowa
                    The corn and soybean harvests are especially delayed in North Dakota and Minnesota - precisely the states suffering the most from the U.S.-China trade war due to their reliance on exporting to Asia through West Coast ports.

"It's bad, I'm not going to lie. We have just been inundated with too much water," said Daniel Younggren, who grows sugarbeets, soybeans and wheat in Hallock, Minnesota, near the North Dakota border.

In Minnesota, the No. 3 U.S. soybean producer, farmers harvested 62% of their soybeans through Oct. 27, compared with the five-year average of 93%. In North Dakota, the No. 8 soy state, farmers collected just 29% of their soybeans and 6% of their corn as they battle wet conditions that leave the ground too soft to support harvest equipment.

Growers in the United States - the world's biggest corn supplier and the second-largest soy exporter - expected a late harvest following rains that delayed planting across the Midwest last spring.

But storms struck again this autumn, saturating the Corn Belt's northern tier at a time when shorter, cooler days limit evaporation. Grand Forks, North Dakota, on the Minnesota border, received 11.6 inches (29.4 cm) of rain from Sept. 1 through Oct. 24, five times the average, the National Weather Service said.

Nationwide, the corn crop was 41% harvested as of Sunday and soybeans were 62% collected, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That is the slowest pace in a decade, and down from the five-year-average of 61% for corn and 78% for soybeans.

As the harvest drags on, farmers already stressed by tight profit margins will likely face extra costs for equipment repairs, diesel fuel and propane to dry stored grain that will not dry adequately in the field. The financial squeeze could be enough to push even more farmers out of business.

"It's been getting tougher. This year, there is a lot of fear that it could be the 'hammer year,'" said Andy Swenson, an agricultural economist with North Dakota State University (NDSU).

He said North Dakota farmers who were unable to plant this year due to bad weather might actually be better off, if they were able to avoid production costs and collect a crop insurance payment.

Minnesota and North Dakota are also the largest U.S. growers of sugarbeets, a high-value crop that Younggren said has kept his farm afloat in recent years as prices for wheat, soybeans and corn have slumped.

He may be forced to abandon some sugarbeets until spring - though soybeans could still be salvaged from frozen ground.

"If I've got to go out when it's 18 degrees (Fahrenheit) and combine soybeans, then that's what we are going to do," Younggren said, adding, "In October, you are playing Russian roulette with the weather."

The late-harvest woes extend north into the Canadian Prairies, which produce more canola than any other country and some of the world's biggest spring wheat crops. Canada is also in a diplomatic spat with China, hitting canola sales and farmers' wallets.

GRAIN QUALITY IN QUESTION

Wet or humid conditions, delays and stress from extreme temperatures can all elevate the risk of mold in grain, said Dr Alexandra Weaver of Alltech Inc, a Kentucky-based feed supplement company. Some types of mold can produce mycotoxins in feedgrains that can sicken livestock, and farmers are forced to sell damaged grain at a steep discount.

It is too soon to gauge the quality of the 2019 U.S. corn crop, Weaver said. But early samples of silage corn - a feedstuff made from chopped whole corn plants - indicate higher-than-normal concentrations of two mycotoxins, vomitoxin and zearalenone, she said.

In Canada, one-quarter of Saskatchewan's spring wheat crop looked unsuitable for milling, according to provincial government estimates in early October. The norm is 10%, according to Chuck Penner, analyst at LeftField Commodity Research. Such a quality drop-off could curb Canadian exports, he said.

Soybeans may be losing yield just by standing in the field, especially after repeated wet-dry weather cycles. Mature soybean pods are prone to shattering, spilling beans onto the ground where combines cannot reach.

"The longer we stay in this weather pattern ... the more loss will occur out in the fields," said Ken Hellevang, a North Dakota State University agricultural engineering professor.

Comment

• Got a question for some of you...with the propane situation..and some contracts that won't be filled because of NO product...how much you going to need yet?
                      By Saturday, the Iowa suppliers suffering shortages can expect to see regular flows of liquid propane.

Comment

• FJ had this article too

Comment

• The propane shortage in iowa is because those "IDIOTS ON WHEELS AHEAD" didn't plan ahead by not filling any storage over the summer. There's a big storage facility in dubuque that holds nearly half of eastern Iowa's needs with zero gallons at he beginning of fall. Or it's the gas companies trying to stick it to farmers for ethonal.

Comment

• You mean, OH CHIT, a man made problem! oh, ?

Comment

• I still say its just another excuse to " Blame The Farmers " !!! Its the farmers fault the price of food went up , Its the farmers fault propane is in short supply , AND , we HAVE to raise the price so the propane suppliers make more MoooLaaa . Its always the farmers fault for everything . You would think we were making attorney salaries , or more . Yet most farmers are barely scratching by . Thats all I have been hearing from people who come here , " I hear the price of propane is going up because you farmers are drying corn " ! Well , Kiss My A** .

I would think there may be a lot less corn to dry with all the prevent plant acres and not as much pressure on supply with the monsoon weather in areas , so , why the big scare ? Just to raise prices !
                              Last edited by dan11; 11-03-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• The other thing is we might use less LP this year drying the same or more corn because for us so far the corn has been dryer coming out of the field at 19-22% vs 22-25 last year with yields that are better than expected, according to my yield monitor.

Comment

Working...
                                X