No announcement yet.

Bean question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4450, I would rather "see" what you are than the still black snow off the seeded wheat in the irrigated corners that HAD wheat up before the blizzard including 60 mph wind...
    in the extended Hoaxie area.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingRoot View Post
      Okup in marketing lewey stated he planted late 4 beans and was surprised by his good fortune with 3.7's he said he expects 60 but acre but only got 51-53. We planted 0.7 beans this year as our early beans and some 2.1's as our late beans with other varieties scattered in between. I collected crop insurance on one farm with 48 bu per acre yield this year. I know heat may be one factor for yield drag in beans but what are the other differences that make planting such high maturity?
      I wonder that myself. The yield difference between my early beans and late beans was rather minimal so I wonder if I should try more early beans. In fact, I netted more on the early beans due to the fact that the late beans had damage and high moisture due to late season multitude of rain and humidity. Early beans had no damage whatsoever. The heat had to have hurt overall yield some this year though because moisture was for the most part plentiful but the majority of days were in the mid 90's most of the summer here. But still, the odd thing to me was my early beans almost performed as well as the late ones. I would think, however, that the late beans would provide a larger grace period during a dry spell. But I have not confirmed that either.

Comment

I'm thinking with all the difficulties that come with growing beans if I could convince myself to bite the bullet and go all corn my headaches would be reduced
        Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

I have thought about doing more corn, Maybe a 2/3 rotation. But I am all notill and that would be a learning curve I am not ready to tackle. I have only done COC twice and the second year of each the yields were down 20% or more. There were other issues associated with that but knowing what I know now I do need to try it again.

Comment

I notill as well using the rawson cart in front of the planter use same to plant 30" beans. I tend to plant more workhorse hybrids instead of racehorse they tend to be shorter with less trash. I don't have a chopping head but just had row units rebuilt by a machine shop in Illinois. They said run head as fast as we can without throwing ears over the augers means I can get through 95% of my standing cornstalks without plugging. I also plant moved over 15" to plant between last year's rows, hard on tractor tires but worth the no plugging.

Comment

I have read that in notill COC it is better not to have a chopping head. All the chopped up trash ties up extra nitrogen. That may be part of my problem. Well now that you've straightened that out if you can just tell me where the high is going to be in corn this year I will know when to sell...

Comment

hey ROOT can you do the price of Beans also that would make summer a lot more stress less -------------------------------dave

Comment

No but I know that getting corn in the combine is possible with snow on the ground instead of being a big snow shovel in beans.

Comment

Working...
                  X