Bean question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean question

Okup in marketing lewey stated he planted late 4 beans and was surprised by his good fortune with 3.7's he said he expects 60 but acre but only got 51-53. We planted 0.7 beans this year as our early beans and some 2.1's as our late beans with other varieties scattered in between. I collected crop insurance on one farm with 48 bu per acre yield this year. I know heat may be one factor for yield drag in beans but what are the other differences that make planting such high maturity?
    Don't get tripped by what's behind you

I always wondered here also. I plant a 2.5. I have even planted a 2.2 and it was about as good as any. Dad did quite a few plots with maturity from 2.2 up to 3.7. All made it before frost but the 2.5 beans were as good as any and better than most. Most in my area plant around a 3.

Comment

That's the reason we stick with low 2's as our late beans. Much past 2.5 and it will freeze before mature. Once leaves start turning brown wd want it to freeze then we just roll with the combine no hunting for dry beans.

Comment

More bloom time - later rains in the season to fill the top pods

Some of my best beans have been a 2.8 to 3.2 here - lots and lots of 3.7 to 4.0 's here - they always - always ( farmers ) brag = have to be lying - that there the high yielders - off the scale great - I planted 3.8's tis year - and this was the worse bean crop I have raised in - I can't even remember - they were that bad ! But they had problems - frogeye - purple stain - and bugs - The heavy hitters said that the early 2's were there best here .

Comment

Gooolly ECI, you kept reminding me of these events in the past, still have to drive a ways to listen to the experts this year lol

https://salinapost.com/2019/01/06/k-...d-for-january/

Comment

Usually plant 3.4 to 3.8 here. Needed a few to finish the last acres and got some 4.2. Those were the best. Benefited from late rains I figure but ordered the same 4.2 for about 40% of my acres this coming year.

Edit. Thought something odd this year. Planted a 3.4 and a 3.7 all in the same week and the 3.7 matured faster than the 3.4. New I didn't make a mistake on what was planted and seed dealer confirmed that was the case everywhere with that particular number. That number was also a disappointment he said about everywhere. Was very stressed until about middle of Aug. when we finally got some decent rain.
            Last edited by 4450; 01-06-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Our beans are almost always determinate so 2nd week of Sept most are starting to turn (guys that chop corn silage must use that as a starter gun) usually get a rain first ten days of Aug then dry till tha bean head gets hooked up. 3rd week of Sept pretty good chance we could start getting frost

Comment

Think I will attend the one at Hoxie ! There was guy that that new all there was about beans there : )))))

Comment

you won't get much out of him! I left Hoaxie at 12:30 today heading back east, after leaving a load of milo at Campus, Western Plains Energy, sw of Hoaxie.
                  Loaded and left bins when frozen, soft stuff when back home!

Comment

I "thought" I'd sweeten ole 479 up on this milo deal....just look what he could do by planting a different kind of flower to get those aphids...

well maybe...but we keep learning what those before us knew and we threw some of it away...

https://www.farmprogress.com/crops/h...589caf87dbea11

Comment

According to that article, I might be in the money this year on one farm. I planted radishes with my winter wheat. Never intended to leave it for harvest when I planted it, just for a cover. But since we couldn't get our other ground planted , decided to leave it. We'll see how that turns out.

Comment

Would like to watch that too 4450, the "proposed" gain will be the next crop, that you plant after the wheat...is that your take on past articles?

just to add something, radishes...not the same as lettuce...the vegges could die from eating lettuce, so I'll have Whiskey and Rib eye medium, Thanks

Comment

I don't grow grain crops, but the message from people who used canola[rapeseed] as a rotation say it takes 10 years before you can get rid of it. Its just mustard with a pretty name.

Comment

LMAO...from 24D to dicamba, don't those greenys let you have any good chemicals?

Comment

Drove past my wheat and radish field yesterday. I've got a good stand of wheat, radishes are dead of course. But for being planted early September, that wheat sure doesn't have much growth. Never did get any starter fertilizer on it. Will be interesting. My October 31 seeded wheat can just be seen down the row now. Other two fields planted a couple days later are still bare. Seed is sprouted and still about 1/4 in. below the surface. Doesn't look too encouraging to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X