Cover crop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover crop question

Ok Dennis, or anyone. Question on a cover for wheat stubble being planted to beans in the spring. Which is best? To plant a crop like oats, sedan, etc. that winter kills or have something like wheat or rye that lives over winter. I'm not interested planting into 3ft. tall rye like my neighbor did and then spraying it and killing it. Would be sprayed earlier in the spring awhile before planting.

There is a time frame for getting the cover crop "killed" in this district...those time frames adjust to latitude and longitude...

The "what should have been at least 3 ft. tall cereal rye" but wasn't due to drought and only 1 to 1.5 was sprayed in the "suggested" time frame ahead of soybeans...I ran the
    "old" combine with yield monitor , I could NOT tell a difference between the wheat strip and the rest of the field cereal rye east of where we live..

I have been told that planting corn can have some not happy things if behind the rye to soon, yet I listened to one presentation where he planted corn in 6 ft standing cereal rye
    and harvested the best corn crop in his history of that field and total farm...

The next question...finding cereal rye seed...Dave's supplier is OUT of seed, Dave has some for part of what "we" intended to plant, but will have to cut seeding rate or plant
    something else on some of the acres we didn't get planted to wheat for harvest...

As of this morning, the pheasant hunters are bit ching about the cover cropped with feed, forage sorghum/wheat stubble being hard to walk through...that is what makes it a hunt!
    After the freeze, the lazy stuff laid down so is only about 2ft. tall, with 4 feet horizontal to make your way through..

lmao

Comment

chit my 2 ยข isn't much..

Comment

guys here plant wild radish deep tap roots break up hard pan, Im lucky ,my organic matter stays above 3.6 so don't have to mess with cover.

Comment

A lot of these covers guys are planting in August but they freeze off. Others are planting rye or wheat that keeps growing until it's killed in the spring. Any tests been done if one is better than the other. I thought the latest greatest thing was suppose to be a crop growing at all times. No idle period.

Comment

Originally posted by 4450 View Post
            A lot of these covers guys are planting in August but they freeze off. Others are planting rye or wheat that keeps growing until it's killed in the spring. Any tests been done if one is better than the other. I thought the latest greatest thing was suppose to be a crop growing at all times. No idle period.
            yupe, that's from the gurus, rye seems to out perform wheat as far as root AND above ground mass. Some of the "excuses" for multi crop cover crop is maybe one will
            out perform another, and some do germinate with less moisture. AMD green all the time means more seed sales...I'm the devil's advocate this morning, this is only
            the second thread for me today..

We got our soybeans harvested, 479 is still getting rain..the milo looked like fields of red ice yesterday morning..got down to 16% plus grain moisture late pm yesterday.
            Maybe today..

Comment

have a question Dennis can I plan a cover crop out the back of a motor boar I have enough water standing and flowing down my combine ruts to float a boat or should I just wate till it freezes over and just skate down through their and hand sew it either way a portion of my seed may go to the cat fish feeding their-------------------------------------dave

Comment

YES..start buying corn, milo, soybeans and wheat and feed those fish with it in the combine ruts, the carp will help level the ruts for next springs planting

Comment

I think 479 better get on the ball down there before the FSA declares the whole state a wetland area. Then they will be screwed, lol.

Comment

looking for sympathy 479? lol

btw, got my butt alerted this afternoon...sent a load of milo to the elevator...showing average of 13.3% on combine, elevator stuck it at 14.3%

NOT sure what happened, never been that far off, but the "old" guy must have hit the wrong button someplace....chit! the other semi is half loaded before he called...
                    AND by the forecast, what happens tomorrow will be IT for a couple days with cold and chances of moisture with snow...NOT much, just enough to stall things..

Comment

I would say at this time of year 14.3 should be more than acceptable. What, don't they want to start their drier?

Comment

lol...now the rest of the story...when I shut down, monitor was showing 13.8 average, which by the way the tickets were running would make it 14.8, and then on a load,
                        15% would be a no surprise...

They have a lot of grain in bunkers AND on the ground now...

and the deer hunters want the milo cut so the deer have less places to hide, if the hunters would pay the dockage of the over 15%, the crop in the field would disappear sooner..

Comment

Working...
                        X