Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF politicians sayyes..

https://www.no-tillfarmer.com/articl...124I4699801B6O

Well that wouldn't work for me. Sprayed wheat stubble with sharpen, 2/4/D, crop oil, glyphos, crop oil. $20.00 an acre in chemicals to bend the weeds over for a week and then watch them green up and take off again. I can't afford to farm like that. Hooked onto the disk and the hell with spray spray spray only to waste money. $4.50 an acre "good steward" payment? It's going to take a hell of a lot more than that

Comment

NOT going to be critical...however it IS amazing how a little water from the sky makes those weeds more receptive to chemicals. The kochia and mares tail are our main outlaws, the feed planted in wheat stubble/with a few other "things" is almost as tall as the stubble...remember, we had short wheat this year, too, BUT with a July rainfall total of 5.24, we are actually in a garden spot, but that could all end later today with a twisty and the white combine.

The next thing to remember, by the time the politicians and college ag experts get this figured out we will be on to some other phase of challenging ma nature and her ways.

Comment

another bad azsed outlaw weed is the pigweed trying to be amaranth..

Comment

Comment

Pigweeds are our problem. So far the extend beans are working, but I'm afraid that we are an eye blink away from having no control at all. I had a nice half inch rain a day or two after spraying and another half or .60 a few days after that. About the only thing that worked on stubble here was paraquat. Never used it before and hesitant to try it but that's all that worked. And a week after spraying that the new weeds are already showing up. It's just not me hooking onto the disk. I've been surprised to see a couple no-tillers that haven't hooked onto a disk in years working ground. A year ago I had some terraces that needed plowed up and the fields were rough so I disked them and worked them down. In September I planted wheat, radishes, and turnups. Had a nice cover over winter and sprayed and killed the wheat in late March. I liked the way that worked and plan on doing more of that this fall. Only thing that surprised me was how by early May when I started planting beans, there wasn't as much wheat cover there as I thought there would be. But we were dry all fall and winter too, so didn't get the growth like we normally would.

Comment

"ONE" of our experiments last year included the left over seed wheat planted for cover, then the rest of the field planted with cereal rye...when I sprayed it this spring for the burn down pre
              soybean, the rye wasn't any bigger than "normal" wheat in what ever normal is, but past years. Our concern was the cover of residue, wasn't that much, as you said in similar "procedure".
              I can NOT tell visually where the wheat was and where the cereal rye was started, maybe the yield monitor will say something, but with the moisture we have received, especially in July,
              the soybeans do look good, and I am going to have to swallow my words aka eat crow, BUT the pigweed were suppressed, son had the soybeans commercially sprayed during wheat
              harvest...I can only burn one candle at a time... and I guess it was okay, but the rig used had bigger tires, I;m piszed, told them next time they used a floater, there would be some
              compensation...tracks are still visible, we did have to do a second app with power max, of course, the suggested rate was 32oz, I did some at 24ox, some at 28oz and some at 32oz, good sales pitch, I had commented that 3 years ago with 22oz we killed everything but the soybeans and NOW the Chinese product we need 32...so far, NOT seeing very much difference, sales
              people covering their behinds and selling product, and YES, we had moisture to add to the effectiveness this year...so far...I didn't personally spray any dicambia product this year, that again, was when
              the commercial app was done..

Comment

Comment

Kid that farms next to one of my farms planted rye and let it go to long in my opinion. To seed and even though he killed it with his burn down, he didn't lap over on the edge of mine and rye went to seed. I wasn't too happy to see that and might be a lot less happy about it in the future. My hesitation though about letting the cover go so long was proven somewhat true with the dry year we've been having. The majority of that farm is nice creek bottom dirt that must be close to water because even in a dry year, it will produce as good or better than anything else around. However before we got that 2 inch rain on July 13th, his corn was suffering worse than any around. I think that rye had used up a lot of his moisture. But it seems to have suppressed the weeds. I don't know what all he used in the burndown, but it was never posted with anything and is clean. As with anything yield monitor and the bottom line will tell the story.

Comment

yupe, ONE of the reasons there is a time frame that the cover is to be terminated, when in the lower rainfall areas...this year, I did leave a 60 foot strip of NOT burned down...could have
                    called it operator error, but really, I did it on purpose...and with the rainfall we have had, can't visually see it, again, yield monitor will tell us this fall...oh, sitting here after a 0.78 Kansas
                    event during mid morning...dang, it sure is great to get rain when we need it...used to be jealous when everyone else got rain, I do remember however, it has always dried out in Kansas!

Comment

You guys out west have been hogging it all this year, lol. Had a good chance couple nights ago. Got 2 tenths. Lot more corn than normal been chopped. Beans are on the edge. Poorer spots wilt down, then we get a few tenths and they perk up for a few days. Our next chance doesn't look like until next week. It's not good.

Comment

Originally posted by 4450 View Post
                        Kid that farms next to one of my farms planted rye and let it go to long in my opinion. To seed and even though he killed it with his burn down, he didn't lap over on the edge of mine and rye went to seed. I wasn't too happy to see that and might be a lot less happy about it in the future. My hesitation though about letting the cover go so long was proven somewhat true with the dry year we've been having. The majority of that farm is nice creek bottom dirt that must be close to water because even in a dry year, it will produce as good or better than anything else around. However before we got that 2 inch rain on July 13th, his corn was suffering worse than any around. I think that rye had used up a lot of his moisture. But it seems to have suppressed the weeds. I don't know what all he used in the burndown, but it was never posted with anything and is clean. As with anything yield monitor and the bottom line will tell the story.
                        Racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm used to it verb, lol.

Comment

and this because I live 9 miles from a black community?

Comment

County fair week begins today, as well as recovering from youngest grand daughters birthday party yesterday,,,no punch additives except sugar! AND
                              grandson takes off this afternoon for the K-State campus, going to be different not being able to physically check up on him when ever it seemed like a time
                              to have some fun..

btw, fair...rain in the forecast...darn right we will take it!

Comment

Working...
                              X