No announcement yet.

Don't Cry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummmmmmmmmmm- once again it is tempting to be quiet but heck you fellas are so friendly/thoughtful/kind (LMAO) I chose to weigh in.

I farm and sell a modest amount of seed for one of the major seed suppliers in the US. Keep in mind that I am in corn/soy country where only a few % has any risk of being planted to something other than corn or soy.

From the perspective of a guy with over 40 years of seed sales and service experience- (BTW- most of my customers have purchased seed from us the majority of those years so please spare me the crap about how all local seed reps are hated or to be avoided or mistrusted. Had an auto accident long ago. Had a pretty big mass of visits and phone calls and cards from the guys I have been calling on or selling to. Some of them of course often told me, no, they did not need seed that year yet they still treat me as a friend.)

Soooooooooo- Why early sales and pricing from seed companies?

+ A response to other companies who will sell early.
    + So they know where to ship seed. Many companies start some shipping to dealers in Oct/ Nov. Why? These seed companies have asked themselves- Why build even more warehouse space when they have rep dealers with space? and- Why take a chance and ship due to projections when you can ship due to invoices? -and- to make trucking bids more competitive- Why not ship some of the seed as soon as some of the new harvested seed is ready to ship?
    + If a seed rep makes calls on farm operators before harvest, even if they don't make the sale, they know more about what is likely to change and how satisfied you are with your current choices to date. Example in soy seed- This year will be a big year of change due to herbicide resistant tall water hemp. Seed companies made their own estimates of the mix in RR2 Extend, vs Gyphosate Resistant, vs Non- GMO, vs Liberty Resistance. I know my customers very well yet I can't possibly always know how to react to what is changing from year to year without staying in touch. If I can't get the mix between the various herbicide choices close to right early, I will likely fail to get the right mix of soy varieties on their farms. We will sell out of something. We almost always do.
    + Early pricing incentives and orders allow seed companies to see what is changing and work on reallocation of supplies. Seed supplies are always stressed in some products. In some ways they are just like farmers- they don't know what quality seed yields will be. Unlike us- they grow an extremely high number of hybrids and varieties. To never sell out of any product they have to project both quantity of each product and yield just right so the pile of every single hybrid and variety is large enough. Often, the supply of the newest stuff is going to sell out. Why? - - Restrictions of acres planted due to the supply of parent seed available.
    - No carryover seed corn because the corn hybrid is brand new.
    - No carryover of soy seed from year to year.

I really just like to do business on the day and hour that is most convenient for customers. Yet, I know that if we don't stay in touch and get some estimates of farm operator seed needs on the books as soon as is possible, we will often fail to have their first choice hybrids and varieties. We always seem to be able to piece together seed for some stragglers like 82 suggests that he is. For late orders- The more it is likely that he wants something that is "hot" due to outstanding performance in plots- the more likely that we are short, or we have to piece together seed sizes, or that we won't have his preferred seed treatment, or we won't have it available at all. Most years by January (sometimes Nov- Dec), I am struggling to add something to supply to cover someone's new request to a list of other requests that have not been filled.

One thing that I am sure of- if all customers waited until Feb or later to book their seed, it would be a mess. I am not aware of one major seed company that will wait to start shipping until that date. Once the seed is in a rep's warehouse, it is hard to make them give it up.

If a customer is interested in my recommendations for the best hybrid or variety for his farm- they have to realize that this recommendation will change over the winter months from the full mix of the best performing hybrids and varieties to a mix of the best hybrids and varieties that are still AVAILABLE for sale. If I have a feel for what a customer like 82 will eventually do, I will invoice it and hope I am right. If all of my customers purchased when 82 suggests he does- 1) I wouldn't have what everybody prefers- and- 2) I would not be selling seeds to my neighbors any more.
    Why? both the companies and the sales representatives that you know can't have everything in place in just the right quantities for masses of just in time seed sales.
    “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Yeah - That's why I buy all my seed from Jabber - He always has the latest greatest already set back for me = No elbows needed he to get to the front of the line - besides - You need to order early to get the right size coats , hats , gloves and work boots he gives away - Jabber - Mrs. ECI said to tell you thanks !!!!!!!!!!!! For new pair of Red Wings you sent her - said they fit great and she don't even know she has them on !

Thanks for your outstanding service you have provided us over the years !

Ken

Comment

Jabber, we all know which symbol you wear on your hat. I started this thread because I was called out as an azzhole by a seed rep from a company I have never done business with partly because they never bothered to even try because they are too lazy to actally go out and sell and want to sit in their office and take in orders. What makes them think Im going to order from them now.
        Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

[QUOTE=ECI;401707]Yeah

Looks like a problem with the site, anyway, LMAO...it's this word of mouth that gets the whole/hole company in trouble...

Comment

I was on the production side of the seed business, risking my life on glare ice roads, and white out blizzards because a multi million dollar corporation is to tight to build a pole shed. Nobody wants to see the seed corn trucker when it's -20*F Christmas eve...and they let you know about it.

One thing that always boggled mind picking up returns was all the "hot new" hybrids that supposedly had been sold out since before the prior Thanksgiving that I hauled back to the warehouse. I thought sold out meant sold out? DSM seed hoarding used to be a huge problem. Maybe it still is? Wouldn't it be better to make a sale in the spring for fall pricing rather than burn the chit in the power plant the following summer?

All that kind of bull chit is penciled into that $300.00 bag of seed along with the lawyer bills because they're constantly sueing each other, or their customers.. R&D has very little to do with the price of seed. That's my main complaint about seed companies.

The local sales people like jabber are usually always great people to deal with who IMO are under paid. There is plenty of needless fluff in the mid and higher management areas that could be cut that would make the company waaaay more profit than telling the local dealer or trucker they need to take a penny or two less per bag or mile, or screw the grower, or harvester out a dollar or two an acre.

And of course it's much easier to just jack the price $100.00/bag to cover their inefficiency.

Comment

I was called out as an azzhole by a seed rep from a company

SSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Root --- what's your point ????

LMAO -- jking and all that happy --- stuff

Comment

Jabber , I have met , and talked with you . I wish most of my seed dealers knew half of what you have probably forgot . Yes they are good people and good friends , but I do think most of the time your first reason is the main reason they are out pounding on doors .
                To make a Sale !

Comment

I suppose all the early order stuff helps smooth out the transportation. We have been hauling a FEW loads of seed all summer. Just a few years ago it was nothing until winter.
                  it is frustrating for me as a customer. Every time I get a number figured out where I should plant it they do away with it. Then I am supposed order and pay for next years seed without yield information on those new numbers I am supposed to love.

Comment

:lWell ECI at least now I know I'm in good company. Being called an a-hole and all.

Just for Jabber's mental health it was not a pioneer rep. I can get along with those guys.
                    Don't get tripped by what's behind you

Comment

Originally posted by flyingRoot View Post
                      Jabber, we all know which symbol you wear on your hat. I started this thread because I was called out as an azzhole by a seed rep from a company I have never done business with partly because they never bothered to even try because they are too lazy to actally go out and sell and want to sit in their office and take in orders. What makes them think Im going to order from them now.
                      Yeah, I hear you. I would not take that very well either. I never ever have called someone who doesn't buy an azzhole.

Maybe butthead but never azzhole. Laughin' here.

Ken, you were sposed to keep the feather lite extras soft leather version of the redwings top secret. I have a great customer whose wife appears to wear a size 13 triple E. I hope she ain't readin' this or I am sure to get a non softened steel toed boot directed where it hurts.
                      “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by dan11 View Post
                        Jabber , I have met , and talked with you . I wish most of my seed dealers knew half of what you have probably forgot . Yes they are good people and good friends , but I do think most of the time your first reason is the main reason they are out pounding on doors .
                        To make a Sale !
                        Yep. You would be amazed at just how fast some go from "not ready to order" to "where have you been" or "I already ordered my other seed".

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Working...
                        X