• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=flyingRoot;401006]Scouted for soybean aphids yesterday finding 40

flying root- from experience and in my humble opinion-

The economic thresholds seem adequate to me if-
    - you have moisture to help the soybeans
    - you don't have extremely high temperatures
    - you don't have soybeans planted at high to very high populations.

Experience- in 2003, I had just made the shift from high population drilled soybeans to 15" rows. I planted some stiff stem medium to short ht soy at 180,000 plants per acre. In late July we were seeing soybean aphids spreading. My high population 15" rows only had about 12 to 18 green leaves on them in the upper canopy due to high populations. A customers adjacent field of 30" rows had many more green leaves on them. Because of the difference in leaf count, the neighbor's field hit the economic threshold and he sprayed. Mine didn't get to 250 per plant until about R5 so I did not spray this field. Dumb choice.

We hit a few days of very high temps with wind and dry soils in early mid August. The high temps with wind pushed my soybeans over the edge and they died early.

SUMMARY OF MY THOUGHTS-
    SOYBEAN APHIDS LIKE SUCKING/FEEDING ON THE LEAVES. THE LEAVES ARE THE PREFERRED LOCATION TO GET THE FOOD THEY NEED.
    IF THERE ARE MANY APHIDS ON THE STEMS IT IS A SIGN THAT YOUR SOYBEAN LEAVES AREN'T KEEPING UP WITH THE APHIDS HUNGER
    IF THERE IS HONEY DEW PRESENT AND THERE ARE MANY APHIDS ON THE STEMS, I WOULD STOP COUNTING AND START SPRAYING.
    IN 2003, IT TOOK THE LARGEST PREVENTABLE AGRONOMIC LOSS THAT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED BECAUSE I WAS COUNTING TOO LONG AND NOT SPRAYING AS SOON AS I SHOULD HAVE. PART OF MY PROBLEM WAS THAT IN HIGH POPULATION SOY, THERE AREN'T ENOUGH LEAVES FOR THE PLANT TO SUPPORT 250 APHIDS PER PLANT. AND IN 2003, PART OF MY PROBLEM WAS DRYING SOILS, HOT TEMPS, AND DRYING WINDS. STRESS COMPOUND YIELD LOSS. IF YOU HAVE ONE STRESS THAT COULD COST YOU 2 BPA, AND ONE STRESS THAT COULD COST YOU 4 BPA PRESENT AT THE SAME TIME, THE COMBINED LOSS FROM LATE SEASON STRESSES IS MORE THAN 6 BPA BECAUSE THE SOYBEAN PLANT IS NEAR THE END OF IT'S LIFE AND CAN'T FIGHT 2 BATTLES AT THE SAME TIME THE SOY IS FILLING PODS.

ALSO, IF YOUR APHID POPULATIONS ARE GOING UP AND YOU ARE WITHIN 3-4 WEEKS OF WHEN YOUR SOYBEANS SHOULD START TURNING YELLOW, IT IS PROBABLY TIME TO MAKE A DECISION- IMHO OF COURSE.
    Last edited by jabber1; 08-06-2016, 08:35 AM.
    “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom farmer View Post
      And it's especially important to teach little girls to know their place. Uppity women deserve public humiliation. Teach your children well.
      you're an idiot frootloops. Wtf does this have to do with now it will be banned. Git in your garage.

Comment

[QUOTE=jabber1;401082][QUOTE=flyingRoot;401006]Scouted for soybean aphids yesterday finding 40

flying root

I took a big step and lowered planting populations fwiw. I planted 163,000 versus my 200000. I've never seen my beans so thick and with so many more leaves and branches. With good rain in Sept. I could have a pretty good bean crop.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis1 View Post
          Does anyone remember Starlink corn? do your search if you don't...almost a copy, and in other industry, Ford's better ideas, copies of GM proven faulty front end suspensions, etc

You sort'a know me, I just had to post this one for Tom...lol....organic heading will tip him...grins

https://www.organicconsumers.org/old_articles/ge/starlinkdisrupt.php

BTW...I'm still using the portable air compressor I purchased with the "money" from the settlement
          on starlink..oh DAMN...to be able to post pictures!
          I bought 7 bags of that chit and didn't get it planted. The seed salesman would not take it back and I ended up burning the seed. I collected around $1600 in a credit card from the class action suit.

Comment

Originally posted by GREG1 View Post
            I bought 7 bags of that chit and didn't get it planted. The seed salesman would not take it back and I ended up burning the seed. I collected around $1600 in a credit card from the class action suit.
            That is almost double of what I got...but I didn't buy seed...but what the "starlink" did to the corn market...keep in mind, dry land Kansas...

Comment

Every single one of my soybean fields have some level of dicamba yield enhancement from 4 different neighbors corn spraying.

Next year every single acre of soybeans I plant will be of dicamba resistant variety.

Comment

and still on soybeans....

http://cornandsoybeandigest.com/crop-chemicals/insecticide-can-hamper-yield-increase-bees-soybeans?

get the good bugs too situation when just saving an application...not always a win win..

Comment

Greg, here we have found on good soils a lower population of many varieties will yield more. Also wide rows can do better on good soils. I still plant 15s because I have a lot of lighter soils that are "well drained". Just on a side note I had the local coop spray burn down and lie to me about when 24d was sprayed. It turned out that I planted in cold wet conditions the day it was sprayed. I ended up with about 70,000 pop with some spots as low as 18,000 according to one college intern. The seed company said at 70,000 I would not lose enough yield to pay for the replant seed.
                  Those beans made 60 +, which is about 30 bu better that the previous farmers all time high.

Comment

Working...
                  X