Harvest 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvest 2014

Let's get a harvest thread started. When are you starting? What are your major obstacles at this point? How good (or bad) are you feeling about this year's harvest?

You can also check out our harvest map:

http://www.agweb.com/corn_harvest_map.aspx

It's pretty sparsely populated right now, but of course it will build as harvest progresses. Good luck everybody!

we will get running after the green ,frozen beans dry down,and a few bins and a dryer gets here some time by Christmas,Iam not going to give the elevator 1/3 of my corn just to dry it so they can deal with dry corn

Comment

Already harvested about 20 acres of corn silage... we needed the feed. No yield monitor on the chopper (the normal custom guy was doing alfalfa the day we needed him) but from visual inspection and loads per acre yield is down from normal... but we have been hammered by rain which really set back the corn in our area. Moisture content was at 74% (26% DM). We don't do any corn for grain but might harvest some high moisture shell corn from a neighbor but it is far to high in moisture to start that yet!
      [URL="http://www.facebook.com/DiederichFarm"]DiederichFarm[/URL]
      "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Comment

I'm going to beat ECI to the punch line by pouring salt on drdied's wounds...Rain makes Grain!

Comment

I started soybean harvest today. Moisture 13.6%, test weight 60#, bean stems still very green, several yellow leaves going thru the combine. The combine was growling horrible. I hope these beans dry out more before do much more harvest. I think I will cut more hay before I run any more green stem beans.

Comment

I am not a grower of corn or beans, but I am a buyer. Get those combines rolling! Crushers claim they are out of soybeans for soybean meal. i have been paying almost $700 per ton for 6 to 8 weeks already. I am not complaining because the price for milk has been just as crazy high so it is priced in already I guess. One interesting thing though. I asked my mill manager how can soy bean meal be $680 per ton when the market price for meal is about $400 per ton? He said the difference is "base". He claims you can buy all the soy meal cash contracts you want at that lower price but if you want to feed the cows you must pay the price and yesterday it dropped to $650. I know a lot of people have changed the rations but I did not want to rock the boat when the cows have been milking so good all summer and the milk prices are so high.(paying $148 per ton for shelled corn - grinding is $8 extra ).
            Last edited by RON11; 09-20-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Well I am thinking about starting corn OCt 1st. I have some going down now but it is still to wet to shell good. I haven't even got the combine out yet and expecting this year to be miserable! With that attitude what are my odds of being right? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dennis1 View Post
                I'm going to beat ECI to the punch line by pouring salt on drdied's wounds...Rain makes Grain!
                It sure does!

No worries from me. I buy most of my feed so the low grain prices are more than enough to offset the decreased yield I have on the bit of land I do run. Sunshine where you find it.
                [URL="http://www.facebook.com/DiederichFarm"]DiederichFarm[/URL]
                "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Comment

Ron - your mill guy hit it on the head - Beans here were VERY short - Morristown Bunge has been as high as 3.50 + basis - The combines started rolling here on Thursday - yesterday trucks really rolling into bunge - basis dropped on Friday to + .50 , Monday ??? my guess would be -.50

BTW - I have not cut any - Maybe next weekend - but closer to 10 days out .

Comment

I finally just finished planting my 2014 corn fields. No this isn't 1982, it was taken yesterday.

My 2014 corn harvest was done with the disk.

Comment

I always enjoy seeing vintage farm photos. Sweet. Get ready to write the check. In three weeks we'll be paying them to take corn off our hands. Maybe less than three weeks. Beans will have a $ 7 in front of them before the snow files. As for the wheat, might as well put it in the manure spreader and use for fertilizer.

Make sure you order your seed before all the HOT NEW numbers are gone. I notice there are some tiny incentives to give them your money by Oct 1. You know, seed production is different than commercial grain....now matter how big the crop, seed crops are always in "short " supply.

We're screwed....and you guys to the north are really screwed if drydown is anything like it is down here.

Be safe.....enjoy your Sunday...cause Monday is coming.....and it isn't going to be pretty.

Comment

more salt for the wounds you already have DB helping neighbor haul corn the other day I road with him in the combine I was watching the yield monitor it was moving betwine 250 and 235 all the time this was on dry land sand field that never picks over a 100------------------dave

Comment

We started last wed.
                          Can't seem to get the moisture under 18 but 50 to 70 yields are better than expected.

Comment

Talked to a branch elevator manager today in church who runs a elevator about 25 miles from me. His early reports are showing the real early beans in the 60's. The guys he's working with are expecting yields to go up. I didn't have much of any frost damage but there is alot in my area. Time will tell, but, it looks like a big bean crop in this area.

Comment

Thanks for posting that up SD - This morning -- beans are down 14 from your report - lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X