odd lawsuit - corn was too tall???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd lawsuit - corn was too tall???

These Nebraska farmers essentially got sued because their corn was too tall!

http://www.agweb.com/livestock/beef/article/nebraska_court_farmers_not_liable_for_fatal_crash_ NAA_Associated_Press/

The suit alleged that the cornfield created a dangerous blind intersection. Thankfully, the judge ruled the farmers were not negligent.

the judge did because if that were to go through it would pertain to all tall growing crops switch grass for one and trees even----------------------------dave

Comment

Saw a deal the other day where lady was sueing the folks of the dead girl he ran over on a bike because it caused distress.

Comment

if you got the retainer fee a lawyer will have the time----------------------------dave

Comment

As long as he was not in the road right-of-way he was ok. we got a letter from the cty saying not plant in right-of way or you will get fined.

Comment

Very locally, all of our intersections are marked with some stop signs or at the very least yield signs.
            “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

SO what happens when the signs are buried in snow?

The big guy upstairs probably doesn't have very many lawyers to choose from.

Comment

As some who's wife and kids were nearly killed at an intersection cause the corn was to tall..... I have to ask, is that 20-30 bu of corn you get in that corner wort one life? Most planters have row shutoffs now. Plant along the road then those outside rows shut off 25-30 feet from the intersection and turn them back on 25-30 feet after.

Yield signs and stops only assign blame AFTER the crash has happened. In fact the intersection HAD a yield sign, but the other driver didnt stop. Do YOU stop at every stop sign even if you can clearly see no one coming? Or slow down and be prepared to stop and yield signs????? Betting most of us don't on our rural township roads......

BTW Dennis, we have dozers here that push the snow back in the intersections......

Comment

Df You idea of not planting the coreners is great. The weeds will be taller and thicker than the corn would have been. lol Around here, home owners in rural areas buy acreage and plant trees on the edge of the rightway Nobody stops them and the trees are not trimmed back In forested areas the trees grow right up to the road. Intersections become an adventure. With this years crop prices, I will plant into the corners. the stop signs and yield signs are already covered by trees and brush

Comment

We have a "section correction" intersection on the state hiway that we cross between the 2 farms. DIL took out a car last month[nobody was hurt, 2 cars totaled] on this kink in the road. When corn was planted there, somebody would drive it down so you could see south. Most of us drive pickups or trucks, so we sit/see higher. My gator sits higher than 50% of the eco-friendly bug smashers out there. Those cute little shrubs are real PIA's on truck mirrors as they grow out, + those stop ahead signs that they 'plant' on the road side of the ditches. Could you plant beans on the corners?

Comment

Having survived an intersection 2 vehicle accident...DURING a blinding blizzard(yes, in Kansass) df is partially correct..many
                      BLOWN stop signs and no attention to yield signs...butt again, survived, so I DO. There are intersecions that with NO growing
                      crop or weeds, only in a truck, tractor, sprayer or combine can you see without "nozing" to look. Then go to town and see, oops,
                      attempt to see around the intersection because of the pretty bushes planted for privacy or just to be a pain in the butt.

post #4 by 479 is "right on!"

another thought could be..just how important is your "mission" to not take the time to be careful?

Comment

Corn is a weed. If I have a problem corner I just keep the corn trimmed.

Comment

I hate Lawyers Dennis and 90%of your politicans IS one-----------------dave

Comment

So a hunting season on lawyers with no limit will probably not fly..

Comment

Working...
                            X