wet beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet beans

We cut some wet beans this year, 15-17. Got some green stems in them too. How long should I run the fan? Or how do I tell if they are dry down in the bin?

Iadave, I really don't know. It all depends on the CFMs generated by your fan, grain depth, and weather(both the temperature and relative humidity). I believe you only have to worry about overdrying if the temp and relative humidity are in a combination that beans get too dry in the field. Unless you have an awful lot of fan capacity for your grain depth it will take longer to overdry them in the bin that would happen in the field- soooooooooooo I'd keep that fan a runnin'.

If they were my beans, I would leave the fan run continuously for quite a few days and check how much air is getting through the beans and how the exhaust air smells daily. I believe even in cooler weather that beans go through a sweat after being put into storage. With no air flow they will start sticking together. I do believe if you run the fans long enough that there will be a drying front move through your beans like it would when air drying corn. If you poke a rod into the grain you should be able to feel the progress of this drying front as it moves to the top. I do believe you will be OK if you can keep the air moving evenly through the beans until they are cool and dryer.

I have had good experience with drying beans with air but have never had much depth that was 15 to 17%.

Hope someone has a better answer for you.
    Last edited by jabber1; 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM.
    “Democracy is the worst form of government, -------------------------------except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Comment

Welliadave I will talk only on what I have done and you can go from there , lol The bin I use to dry beans in is 36 foot , 2 - 20HP fans with low temp heat if needed . Have dryed many bu. at 17-17.5 with this set up . Jabber is 100 right on leting the fan run , even if it's raining , the air moveing over the fan blades will remove 3% of relative humidity so your still drying just really slow .
      I would check the moisture on top , remeber as you start drying the top will get wetter as the drying front moves up . Like jabber said the beans will sweat ,I have seen the roof look like it's raining in the bin , I think it has more to do with the temp change, you cut the beans at what 75 to80 degree's and then start blowing in cooler air , it just takes time , beans are very slow to cool down . I would also get in the bin and probe them and see what the average is , if the probe push's in hard like concrete the front is comeing up , when there are close to dry the probe will push in easy . Hope this helps , Ken

Comment

Thanks guys I shut one of 2 days ago 5hp fan on a half full 5000 bu bin. Most beans in it cut clean and were dry. I think it has been at least 2 weeks probably 3. Think I will let the others run till freeze up. More wet beans and stems in them. I had a friend a couple of years ago thought he was in the clear. beans were dry but in AUGUST began to heat. Ever try to blend off three bins of beans before they spoil? Course different farms and most of his beans were already delivered. What a nightmare!

Comment

I've got a deal for you.How about you bring me your 17% beans and we'll blend them with my 7-8 % and average them out ?

Comment

The sad part is I have some of those too.

Comment

Iadave - I would blend them in with the drier beans, put them on a truck, wait til the probe breaks down at the elevator and haul them in and pay the storage. I put an auger cart on one side of a hopper bottom trailer, and a truck auger on the other side and blend the poorer grain in with the good grain coming out of the field.

The probe at the elevator we hauled beans to last week broke down twice, and was a great opportunity to blend in out of condition grain sitting around the farm and get them hauled in before the probe was fixed. In the 70's we piled the junk grain on the front and back of the hoppers where the probe was never used.

Might think about converting sample grade grain to a higher grade using this method. If you have beans testing 7% you might want to just turn the hose on and add water when you load them out to the elevator. The elevators do it all the time. No charge for this advice.

I mean . . . I sure would not want to take advantage of any co-op. I mean. with a 60 cent basis on beans, and piling grain on the ground the past few years where it rotted and reduced patronage dividends to members I say let them eat cake! Or you can . . . take the hit for the out of condition grain, or loss of grain weight because of low moisture content. LMAO! John
              Last edited by Faust100F; 11-04-2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ECI View Post
                Welliadave I will talk only on what I have done and you can go from there , lol The bin I use to dry beans in is 36 foot , 2 - 20HP fans with low temp heat if needed . Have dryed many bu. at 17-17.5 with this set up . Jabber is 100 right on leting the fan run , even if it's raining , the air moveing over the fan blades will remove 3% of relative humidity so your still drying just really slow .
                I would check the moisture on top , remeber as you start drying the top will get wetter as the drying front moves up . Like jabber said the beans will sweat ,I have seen the roof look like it's raining in the bin , I think it has more to do with the temp change, you cut the beans at what 75 to80 degree's and then start blowing in cooler air , it just takes time , beans are very slow to cool down . I would also get in the bin and probe them and see what the average is , if the probe push's in hard like concrete the front is comeing up , when there are close to dry the probe will push in easy . Hope this helps , Ken
                Wow, good advice... that's what this forum is for. Wishing I knew that stuff when I was still farming. My problem was I rented the bins and the fans were under water when it rained. That place needed some serious landscaping.

Comment

Working...
                X