+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Run the old combine or upgrade

I have prided myself in being able to farm debt free. I still run to old 7700 deere combine mainly because it doesn't cost much to run, it has paid for itself several times over, it does a great job, it is well maintained, & I enjoy running it. I have an opportunity to upgrade to a larger machine that is a 2010 model at a reasonable price. My question is the added capacity worth the cost? we still have 10 inch augers at the bins, I'm afraid the combine will be setting while the bins catch up. I'm not out to impress anyone, I here to put cash in the bank. give me your thoughts

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Heck db 51 even traded last year and he was running a 95 eb machine - time to help out the economy , just think of all the dealer's kids that may go hungry from people not buying anything - maybe we should call it feed a kid trade in's .

Man that's your call on the machine - I traded last year - but have not run mine yet - and I had a 2166 that had some hours on it , good machine - but it was getting old and you know how that go's

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    Yeah...I am daily now missing the 9500 Old Green POS combine. Hell, I still don't know how to operate half the controls on the computer.....but at least now I don't feel quite as inadequate when my BTO neighbor pulls in with 4 brand new Green ones with 12 row heads, nine grain carts and six semis. and that's on an 80. If I hadn't needed it for tax problem, the old Green POS would still be here. The new owner thinks it's the bomb....loves it. I'd keep it personally....I'll probably be trading down to a 6620 or maybe a 4400 after this years Mother Nature azz kicking. How much do you want for it? How much boot do I have to pay to trade you for my 9570?

Senior Member SDakotan is on a distinguished road SDakotan's Avatar
    Db, load the combine up and throw a litter box and some food and water in the cab. Put Lucky in there and that will be the boot on the deal and you can have my lean, mean, clean 9650. One time offer just for you!

Super Moderator PotterB is on a distinguished road
    I asked your question on Twitter and got this response from an Iowa farmer: "Old ones have way less expensive stuff to go wrong."

Just throwing that into the mix...

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    Yep, I spent more on my low houred 3 harvest combine in one year than Dad has on his R-52 since he bought it nerw in the mid 90's!
    As it sits right now I need to spend another $12,000 on it before it goes to the field. I guess we are pushing 600 hours on it! LOL

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    SDAK....We're putting it on the lowboy now and will head your way in the morning. I'm getting rather attached to Lucky....How about I throw in two coons and a bag of chips instead.?

Senior Member jabber1 is on a distinguished road
    I am guessing that if you get done in a timeframe and with the quality that satisfies you(and those you farm for), you are better off financially to keep the 7700. Risks of downtime and getting needed repairs (parts or skilled labor) have to be considered as combine hours increase. The newer machines with the newer heads are easier to set and more forgiving in difficult conditions.

I can run as much grain through a 10" auger on my bins as a JD 9760 will harvest with an 8 row corn head. Drying capacity is not adequate but the auger is OK if have the equipment and labor to keep it runnin' most of the time that the combine is running.

Go with what is likely to make you the happiest longer term. If you are going to be farming for some time yet and believe you are going to trade eventually- the first time you find the machine you want for the price that seems reasonable- there is nothin' wrong with trading up then.

I do have to say if you spend a steady long day in the cab of a newer machine, it is hard to climb back into the older one. I still have a 5000 hour 7700 but am not using it much.
    Last edited by jabber1; 08-07-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road
    My combine is a little newer than yours, but not much. For what I've been spending on repairs the last 3 or 4 years, I just as well been making payments on a newer machine. My problem is, I don't farm much. Upgrading for me would be a 10 or 12 year old machine. That would mean I would be making a payment plus still spending on repairs.

Senior Member 82 is on a distinguished road 82's Avatar
    If you feel the 7700 can make one more season without many problems run it. The deal on that 2010 model is probably going to get even better. The agriculture reset process is just getting started.