+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road

Need some knowledge

We had a pretty good hail a few days ago. I am guessing I lost 50% of the leaf area on my corn.
    My first question is how do you figure the yeild loss on the soybeans?
    My next question is the coop sprayed my beans today with Cobra and roundup. I told them not to spray because of stress to the beans. They also were not supposed to spray Cobra at all. The beans were just starting to flower when the hail got them. The coop said it would not matter weather the beans were stressed. What do you guys think?

Senior Member 82 is on a distinguished road 82's Avatar
    Kind of depends if they're a determinate or in-determinate variety. They might be the best yielding beans you have given a long enough fall if they're an in-determinate variety.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Boy iadave - I just don't know - As soon as the Cobra hits the plants - it would be stressed - But after the hail - wouldn't they be double Stresses ?

Want I want to know is HO did the Co-op screw up that bad ? You told them NOT to use Corbra ? but then they went ahead and did it ? I feel a VERY good azz chewing coming on .

As far as how to figure the loss - Also beats me - I was told by 2 guys that had that happen to them was they called there agent to look at them and they said they would be back in the fall to figure it out .

Senior Member dennis1 is on a distinguished road
    Now figure like a coop....half the leaves gone, so half the stress...how's that?? .I would be so pi ss ed off the manager and
    applicator would be in a room having a serious discussion with NO political correctness until they understand WHO pays the
    bill!

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Dave: You can google RMA and get the exact handbooks that the adjustors use. I highly recommend that you do that and spend the time studying them. The first thing you will find out...is a lot of adjustors don't even know what they are doing. I would say your coop did you a favor adding the Cobra. All the advisories are warning about white mold, and Cobra suppresses white mold. We have been adding Cobra to glyphos on RR SB for years to get the glphos resistant weeds. But, if they added crop oil...then I would be pizzed. You should be adding sugar to your post SB sprays. The sugar is a sticker. It minimizes the Cobra shock. It forms organic acids in the root zone that liberates Phos. SB are heavy users of phos. Always add sugar to post SB sprays. The only caveat with sugar is if you're in a high aphid area. But, if you are...you're going to need an insecticide anywho.
    Last edited by 48; 07-09-2014 at 02:33 PM.

48...how long does Cobra suppress white mold?

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
    48...how long does Cobra suppress white mold?
    Dennis: I dunno. I have never had white mold out here in the desert.

My question relates to the fact that the soybeans have been somewhat defoliated, so how important is suppressing
    white mold....when the coop was "told" NOT to have cobra in the mix in the first place...get a chance to make a
    mountain and you wiz out, jeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz.

Senior Member GREG1 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by iadave View Post
    We had a pretty good hail a few days ago. I am guessing I lost 50% of the leaf area on my corn.
    My first question is how do you figure the yeild loss on the soybeans?
    My next question is the coop sprayed my beans today with Cobra and roundup. I told them not to spray because of stress to the beans. They also were not supposed to spray Cobra at all. The beans were just starting to flower when the hail got them. The coop said it would not matter weather the beans were stressed. What do you guys think?
    I just read your post and I'm not surprised by what happened. Years ago I bought a sprayer when my son announced he wanted to farm. I felt he could supplement his small farm purchase and custom spray for some local farmers because the local coops and spray outfits screw up plenty. That's not the only reason but these coops are on the way out imho as time goes on. We buy our chemicals cheaper and spray on a timely basis. Communication is critical and it looks like these dodoheads at the coop have too much to do and either forgot what you said or didn't write it down or it got lost in the shuffle, who knows? My son picked up around 500 extra acres this year and I told him he could have 5000 more if he wanted to do it.

The coop said it would not matter whether the beans were stressed or not. That is really not the point if you told them not to spray and not to spray Cobra at all. That's bs on their end. I'm not sure about azz chewin, but I would sure talk turkey with the manager and point out you did NOT want those beans sprayed. I think after the hail I would have waited to do anything until I heard from the adjuster but you may have had some weed pressure and that warrants spraying.

I would looking for some young farmer with skills to be spraying for me next year. There is a huge demand for quality help especially operating sprayers. They just aren't out there.

I think your beans will be alright but that still does not make it okay to spray when you told them not to. box rocks dumber than

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    I am glad you think the beans will be OK.I would guess the reality of the situation is they probably did me a favor. I will probably have enough damage that crop insurance will kick in no matter what. At least this way may be some of the weeds won't make it.
    Although the weeds may not take up the chemical very well either...