AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Freedom farmer is on a distinguished road

Presidential law-making

This has been going on for a long time. Here's one horrible example from Barry Lynn:

"So nowadays, what this means in practice is that if you are a big capitalist, if you go to the Justice Department and say, Iím gonna merge the number one beer company to the number two beer company, or the number one steel company to the number two steel company, and this deal will result in all sorts of big savings, because this deal will let me fire all these excess people and close all these excess plants, and Iím going to pass at least some of those savings on to the consumer, put a few pennies in their pocket, then you get a stamp of approval from the U.S. government. Thatís the test put in place in Ď81 and í82. And thatís the test still in place today. I mean, the Department of Justice just last year let the number one book publisher in America, Random House, merge with the No. 2 book publisher, Penguin. Which is insane."

"The Department of Justice establishes guidelines that detail how regulators plan to interpret certain types of laws. So the Reagan people did not aim to change the antimonopoly laws themselves, because that would have sparked a real uproar. Instead they said they planned merely to change the guidelines that determine how the regulators and judiciary are supposed to interpret the law."

Some thoughts from David Atkins and Rachel Maddow:

"Republicans have lost their leverage, at long last, as even compromise-obsessed President Obama realizes they simply cannot be dealt with:

It’s become clear in recent weeks that President Obama and congressional Republicans are reading from very different scripts. The notion that the two institutional forces are butting heads is plainly wrong – they are two trains on separate tracks moving in completely different directions.

GOP lawmakers are now fully invested in fake “scandals” and an upcoming lawsuit/campaign stunt, the point of which they’re still trying to figure out. Obama, clearly tired of waiting for a Congress that will not govern, has become more enthusiastic about using his executive authority on everything from climate to discrimination to the minimum wage.

Clearly, the president’s willingness to keep governing without them has only enraged congressional Republicans – who were already livid. But it’s now obvious that the president simply does not care. Not even a little. The more GOP lawmaker scream, “No more executive actions!” the more Obama thinks to himself, “I wonder what other executive actions I can take.”
    The Republicans may have stymied any legislative action by being the most obstructionist Congress in history.

But in so doing they've also eliminated their leverage over a seemingly newly liberated president. Steven Benen puts it perfectly:

Some pundits have suggested the president giving up on Republicans who refuse to govern will only make things worse, but I’m not sure how that’s even possible. If Congress is doing nothing, what’s worse than nothing?

Obama added, “We’re not always going to be able to get things through Congress, at least this Congress, the way we want to. But we sure as heck can make sure that the folks back home know that we’re pushing their agenda and that we’re working hard on their behalf and we’re doing every single thing we can do to make a difference in their lives. So I want to make sure that we emphasize not what we can’t do, but what we can do in the coming months.”

If congressional Republicans find this outrageous – and we know they do – their remedy couldn’t be simpler: try working on meaningful legislation that’s intended to pass. Obama has said repeatedly, including today, that he’d prefer to sign some actual bills, if only Congress would pass some.

But in the meantime, this is a president who no longer cares whether his unhinged critics are unhappy. It’s a welcome shift in posture, which is arguably overdue.
    In the meantime it's a very long shot, but if the differences are stark enough and obvious enough to the public, it might even help provide a more pliable Congress during the final two years of the President's term."

The last sentence here is kind of funny. I expect zero pliability from republicans. They will instead throw an endless hissy-fit until the next Presidential election. At least it makes for entertainment for us political junkies, I guess.

Senior Member Tom In Ont is on a distinguished road
    Obama is opening a pandora's box in a very big, meaningful and destructible way. You might as well kick out all the bums in the House and Congress and run an oligarchy way and say f... the people like he is doing. He is solely dismantling what the forefathers creation of government decreed in the Declaration of Independence. He is experiencing a lame duck presidents way when the people have lost faith in what he does and what he stands for now he's saying fk the people and I'm running rough shod.

Senior Member guidoLaMoto is on a distinguished road
    >>...as even compromise-obsessed President Obama ...<<

Oh, puleeze... "Elections have consequences."..BO "I have pen and a telephone."...BO

No need to read any further than that opening line. If you find one lie, then you can trust nothing else said. Start with false assumptions, you wind up with false conclusions.

If the GOP takes the Senate in the '14 elections, BO won't finish his term. He has completely forsaken his oath to uphold The Constitution and would have been impeached years ago if the Senate Dems could be trusted to vote honestly and not politically.

Senior Member RON11 is on a distinguished road
    Oh poor babies. You pretend Obama invented signing statements and recess appointments. Are you kidding me! Bush did tons of both. When a Republican knocks over everyone to do what they want you cheer. When a Dem. does it you pretend he is shreading the Constitution or ruling as a dictator. What is really going on is R's being hypocrites. Americans can see that. So when you pretend to be standing up for americans - please for our sake- DON'T. We didn't want you ruling over us that's why we voted FOR Obama and against the R's. Oh , please try impeaching Obama. Nothing helped improve Bill Clintons standing and ruined the republicans like that impeachment! Raised Bill's by ten points. You got nothin'.
    And you know it's true because Obama was on the t.v. this morning begging you guys to sue him. But being the puzzys they are the R's shrink away.
    Last edited by RON11; 07-02-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Excellent post, Ron. Did anyone else catch the clip of Boehner having no clue about the specifics of what he was suing Obama over? I'm forever amazed that some folks can't seem to understand that the republicans ONLY concern is to obstruct and denigrate Obama.