AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #ChipotleLies

Super Moderator PotterB is on a distinguished road

#ChipotleLies

Have you been keeping up with Grazing The Net's latest beef with Chipotle?

http://www.agweb.com/blog/grazing_the_net/chipotlelies/

What's your opinion on the burrito joint's latest shennanigans?

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    With all the 'lies' withstanding, the facts are...Auzzie beef is 1/2 the price of ours!! My guess is more users are importing it besides Chipolte.

Super Moderator PotterB is on a distinguished road
    That's a safe bet. Thanks, I didn't know about the price discrepency. Still, it's crazy to think that shipping Auzzie beef 8,000 miles is more "responsible" than sourcing U.S.-raised beef instead.

Since you 'can't see it from here', its easier to dupe someone. That feel good eating experience hasn't really created a healthier society, IMHO.

Senior Member guidoLaMoto is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PERCY View Post
    Since you 'can't see it from here', its easier to dupe someone. That feel good eating experience hasn't really created a healthier society, IMHO.
    Exactly.

The various beef advocacy groups, like NCBA, etc, have done a really lousy job of promoting beef's health benefits. A search of the medical literature will find a myriad of studies proving diets high in beef intake actually lower cholesterol levels, improve diabetic control and result in better weight loss than diets that minimize beef intake.

While grass-finished beef can be shown by certain laboratory parameters to be "better" than feed-lot finished beef, there is no evidence that that translates into improved clinical outcomes. And, of course, there is no evidence that "organic" has any health benefit (except mental health for some TreeHuggers) than "industrially" produced food.

Junior Member LB Landis is on a distinguished road
    Things I have found to be true about grass-finishing from experience:
    1) The term grass finishing is misleading and fraught with misconceptions, the first thing people think of when they hear the term is the 4 year old dairy steer Granpa let walk around out back searching for something; not a lush mix of tall legumes and grasses.
    2) Not all breeds finish on pasture, some have to be fed grain or they just get taller and bonier.
    3) Pasture finishing also saves a lot on inputs. My grandfathers generation had cheap feed, fuel and labor, ask my dad and uncles. Today it is pricey to haul all the feed in just to haul manure out.

Senior Member guidoLaMoto is on a distinguished road
    "Organic" in general has fewer and cheaper inputs. Shouldn't the outputs be priced lower than non-organic?

Interestingly, a study published a yr or two ago showed that cattle raised on grass & corn, but finished on grass only for the last six weeks before slaughter, tested out just like grass-fed-only in terms of cholesterol, omega-3- / omega-6- FAs and linoleic acid- the things the nutritionists think are important.

Senior Member jabber1 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
    "Organic" in general has fewer and cheaper inputs. Shouldn't the outputs be priced lower than non-organic?
    Guido in the case of organic crops- for the organic corn or soybean crop expenses that are lower are

- crop protection products meaning no man made herbicides, insecticides (though they can process and package Bt to use), fungicides

Fertilizer costs may be higher or lower per unit of output depending on the source of manure.

The costs that are almost always higher are-
    + labor, machine, and management costs. In an effort to control weeds in organic crops lots of trips are made. The timing of these trips is crucial with at one poorly timed rain event leaving a huge imprint on weed control, crop yields, and future weed pressures on the farm. Harvesting weedy crops can be expensive.

The organic grower that I have the most experience with told me that his market had suddenly suggested that he could only use seeds that were grown organically the prior year. Though he could buy NON GMO untreated seed from many sources, this organic seed requirement increased his cost of seeds and decreases his choices of corn hybrids and soybean varieties.

All of the above affect both costs or expenses per acre and per bushel.

Only when yield is known can an organic producer figure costs per bushel. In this area the yield per acre from organic crops is much more volatile and the organic acres have produced a much lower average yield per acre over years. The 3 largest reasons are weed control, fungal disease control, and control of insects.

In this area the total costs to grow an organic BUSHEL of corn and soybeans is much, much higher

The certified organic corn field that I farmed adjacent to last year was not recognizable as corn from the road due to giant rag weed growing in the row. The producer had this field of corn under contract as an organic seed corn production field. His weeds got trimmed with detasseling machines before they went to seed. He tried to get them to agree to let him tear this field up to plant something else. The contractor insisted on taking the field to yield suggesting that yields of less than 10 BPA would be considered worth harvesting.

In 2014, this producer pulled out of his multiple year organic pattern and hired me to plant it for him. He has already spent more money on herbicides on his commercial soybeans in 2014 than I would spend on the same crop over many years. His weed pressure is so dramatic that he feels forced to take lesser risks if his goal is to "clean up this farm" and increase / stabilize his yields.

The above is the reason that organic grain and oilseed prices offered to farm operators are much higher. At lower prices the organic industry can't get enough farm operators to accept the contract.

If someone can come up with a low cost way to fool most of the weed seed under a farm into germinating at one time ahead of tillage, there would suddenly be many producers that would consider organic food production.

I will simply continue to grow and tend over 100 million plants using what are considered conventional means-
    very selectively using crop protection products approved for my uses,
    selectively using manmade fertilizers at prescription rates,
    while reducing soil erosion through the use of reduced tillage that is made possible with crop protection products-

with less than the labors of one man for one year.

The likes of Dr Oz will continue to ignore the above inconvenient truths.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." John F Kennedy

Organic only has cheaper inputs if your wife and kids will work for free..and polygamy would be an advantage!! Our neighbor, organic, has had a crew of 20 weeding some vegetable next to us for 4 days on 15 acres. They're on their hands and knees. At $10/hr, that adds up. A shot of Roundup before plowing that sod down looks real cheap to me. Their amount of diesel/acre is unreal, and we don't do any notill out here.