+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member larrydc is on a distinguished road

2014 Haylage Quality

We just got our test results back on our first crop haylage, clear alfalfa cut early bud.114 RFV 119 RFQ. 17.5 protein. Yup we will be cranking out the milk here in Wisconsin. We finished chopping yesterday but there are many, many farms who have not started yet because of wet fields.
    Larry

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Looks like what we had for 1st crop last year. This year is marginally better. Was only 130 RFV 145 RFQ but 22 protein. Those who cut a week earlier..... right after Memorial Day, that only tested 150 RFV with 160 RFQ and 23 protein. These cold wet springs are wrecking havoc on first crop forage quality. BUT at least it will make a TURD!!!!

You got an empty calf hutch for me to crash in? Going to try next week to get it setup to be in your area 6/24-25. Not sure how much "extra" time I'll have though.....

Senior Member larrydc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dairyfarmmn View Post
    Looks like what we had for 1st crop last year. This year is marginally better. Was only 130 RFV 145 RFQ but 22 protein. Those who cut a week earlier..... right after Memorial Day, that only tested 150 RFV with 160 RFQ and 23 protein. These cold wet springs are wrecking havoc on first crop forage quality. BUT at least it will make a TURD!!!!

You got an empty calf hutch for me to crash in? Going to try next week to get it setup to be in your area 6/24-25. Not sure how much "extra" time I'll have though.....
    Do you want a clean one with fresh straw? LMAO Sure, give me a call.
    Larry

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    I prefer sand.

I'll give you a call as I know more.

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    Well Larry, my guess is that the ash could be a little high in there; those muddy fields have a tendency to do that to you. That way you can cut back on the minerals!!

Senior Member Normande is on a distinguished road
    We cut tritcale and haylage last week, rfq on tritcale was 170, haylage 145, now is if we only had another 500 tons! hay and forage supplies are still tight, lots of winter kill, yeilds are way of on some fields.

Senior Member Normande is on a distinguished road
    whats the energy been like Haylage was .65nels and 8%sugar, First field of triticale was.72 nel, but the second only tested.61 but where 5.5% sugar, protien was 16.5%,19%, and 18.3% repectively

Senior Member Kinghere is on a distinguished road
    The feed quality might be less than hoped for, but it will make a turd and heifers and steers and tail ender cows will do great on this haylage. With the amount of rain, we should get a good second cutting and the corn crop looks good ---so far----- It sure beats last year when we were chopping oatlage in mid November to get enough feed to fill silos and bunkers.

We still have about 400 acres of first crop to bag or put in silos or bale. We will be haying like our Dad did July 4th