+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: N-Plot 2014

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar

N-Plot 2014

Well its game on here for the 2014 N-plot , Dr. Nielsen , Scott , our NEW intern , and I , yours truly , set the flags last Thursday afternoon , The only problem -- It been to dam wet to put it on . Got another 8/10s late yesterday afternoon and it was all ready wet , with chance after 4 this afternoon , then back in for Monday , Will look to TRY it Saturday or best Sunday , Here's some pictures to get the show started , also notice in one of the pic.s that the corn is at V-5 stage and how short it is for V-5 - it should be at least knee high - the reason for it being close collared is it has been under great stress since a week after planting .

Also on the North side of this field - we will be doing a Fungicide trial for Purdue with Kiersten Wise , But have yet to set flags - maybe today if I can make it thru the mud .
    Attached Images

Senior Member dennis1 is on a distinguished road
    Just looking at the photos ECI....looks like there is already some color indicators going on...

and about that short corn...dat way da short legged people ovr sout da rivr can reach da ears ta pick'm....but
    that's just for Rooks County humor....

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    I thot pic#2 was part of Dukes longest ball contest at the golf course last nite!! BTW, that corn is knee high on Duke and me!! Be sure to put enuf stuff out there, cuz $4,00 corn deserves it.

Senior Member 82 is on a distinguished road 82's Avatar
    Some pretty decent looking corn there. The tallest around here is about three to four leaf.

Senior Member jabber1 is on a distinguished road
    Ken, based on what you have seen in earlier research and in your opinion- will the yellower corn have the same yield potential if you get the N on the plot soon or have you already lost a bit of yield potential because the corn will be setting maximum ear size before the N is adequately flowing to the roots????

I truly don't know but have moved to applying a bit more N with the herbicides (even on soybean stubble) to reduce the risk that the later sidedress N will not get to the plant in time to reduce risks of stress during early ear development. An added benefit is that on soils with adequate P and K, the early N appears to act like a great starter fertilizer. I like to have a minimum of 30# of N as 28% on soybean stubble and 60# of N as 28% on corn with the herbicides. We are Preplant incorporated so we don't often use a stabilizer with the 28% unless the N is likely to lay on top for a while before tillage or rainfall.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

Senior Member roger7 is on a distinguished road
    ECI, You are a great farmer, your last year yields reinforce that statement. That said, the corn in picture 2 looks like chit. I hope your side dress plan can pull it out of its problems. I tend to agree with jabber1, you may have suffered irreversible yield loss already. I hope that is not the case!!!! Good luck with your trials, the weather may play havoc with your expected results. R7

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    If I had corn that looked that chitty, I wouldn't even put nitrogen on it. But if it makes you feel better playing around with flags and kissing Purdue azz....go for it. Just saying Ken. N test data under your conditions are worthless, but I'm sure the Purdue pinheads will extrapolate it out to have some profound result. You might as well be studying the effects of N on the breeding habits of crawdads.

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    ps: That last comment from Roger7 will have Ken's head so big he won't be able to get our of the Hagie without calling for the jaws of life.

Senior Member 82 is on a distinguished road 82's Avatar
    And he calls me the prick. At least I was trying to make him feel a little better about his chitty looking corn.

Actually, the data he gleans from his plot this year will be pretty interesting to me. His cooler, variable soil temps when planting, and less than ideal growing conditions this year, are what I usually experience on a good year.

Time will tell on lost yield potential. A lot of the pre-plant N is probably gone with all the rain he's had. It will be interesting to see the later season pics.

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Hey Ken, you might think I'm FOS and that explains my next comment but...... Those of us here in the REAL corn belt..... we grow corn that is GREEN not yellow. I thought you planted Channel, not Pioneer. ;0