AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road

Grain buyer doesn't record contract

What can you do when you sell grain over the phone and the buyer doesn't record the contract?
    Dad and I both sold beans to a major crusher in the mid 15 dollar range. A week goes by and no contract in the mail. The buyer did call Dad back at the end of the day after the market broke and get his name. The buyer does not give a contract number when you sell over the phone. I am sure he got busy and just forget to enter it. I know it is an honest mistake but we are out thousands as the cash market is off almost a dollar before we found out their mistake.

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    You should have a record of the phone call. Maybe it's time to sue the stupid nimrod. Just saying. There should also be a record of the phone call back to you to verify. The NSA probably has a recording somewhere of the whole conversation in their terrorist watchlist computer. To ensure proper recording of your conversation, next time you place a phone contract, end it with "Obama Sucks, or Michelle has a big a$$." Problem solved. It should be easier to retrieve the proper recording that way.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    IAdave - about the same thing happened to me a few years ago , I made a call in to sell before a report came out , I left a voice mail for them to call me , that I wanted to make a sell , I called back several times , still NO call - then the report came out , and market was down , big time - I called to rip somebodies azz ! They said they tried to call me back but it was the wrong number ! I said oh bullchit ! I asked to see there phone records - he said that they would honor my sell order that they had recorded before the report come out - lmao Just put some pressure on them , they should have to honor your sell .

Senior Member verbatime is on a distinguished road verbatime's Avatar
    The focker stole your sell and recorded it to himself or his buddy. Believe me when I say if the market had gone the other way a buck you would have been sold for sure.

Dad called them with the time, guys name and quantity. We are waiting to hear back on his beans. He sold 1/2 his crop on that order.
    I sold a couple loads so not such a huge deal. I checked my cell phone to get the time of the call but it showed no record of the call. That is not uncommon with that phone for some reason. I was planting beans or I would have time etc. written down.
    I must say the merchandisers must do pretty at getting it done right as this is the first time in 30+ years we have had a problem.
    I am thinking db is right about getting the NSA recording. I wonder who I need to contact to get them? LOL
    ECI, I would say you were pretty lucky to get them to honor the recording. Here the recording explicitly states they will not honor sell orders left on the recorder.

Just an update. They said they will pay Dad for his beans at that price so that is good! Unfortunately they have held up payment on most of my contracts that were not in dispute. They were trying to claim they were Dad's sale, even though the time date price and quantity were different. I am still waiting for the phone company to give me my phone records so I can prove I called them.