AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member jabber1 is on a distinguished road

Snap- rural or urban

Apparently the urban vs rural politics of food assistance programs has changed since the 1960s.

Todd Kuethe and Jonathan Coppess
    January 10, 2014
    Continuing this series examining dynamics for passing a farm bill, this post discusses one of the key issues in the current debate: the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps). The first post examined todayís political landscape compared to the one that passed the 1996 Farm Bill. In many farm bill discussions, it is often asked why food assistance programs, such as SNAP, are included. The simple answer tends to be that it is likely impossible to pass a farm bill without SNAP but that seems unsatisfactory when SNAP has had such a prominent role in the current struggle to complete the farm bill. Complicating the matter further is the reality that many households in rural districts benefit from SNAP, yet the programís key political support remains in urban districts.
    Continue reading at:
    http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2014/01/mapping-fate-of-farm-bill-2.html

Senior Member nlballard is on a distinguished road
    The main difference is that the rural poor are much poorer, comparitively than the urban. But poor now means that they do have two cars,, t vs , obama phones, and free meals, gas for heating. Poor is a misnomer.

Without cars, the poor and jobless couldn't live in the little town near to me. They are 7 miles from the nearest convenience store and 12 miles from groceries. The price of housing and relative security seem to appeal to many but living in the small towns in my area without reliable personal transportation is very difficult for both the jobless and the working poor.

Senior Member Freedom farmer is on a distinguished road
    Without a phone, getting a job is nearly impossible. TVs are extremely cheap and most everyone needs some kind of entertainment. In most areas, homemade antennas can pick up a lot of channels.

Senior Member Uncle Cracker is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber1 View Post
    Without cars, the poor and jobless couldn't live in the little town near to me. They are 7 miles from the nearest convenience store and 12 miles from groceries. The price of housing and relative security seem to appeal to many but living in the small towns in my area without reliable personal transportation is very difficult for both the jobless and the working poor.
    I agree that you need transportaion - but 2 brand new ones??? Give me a break.

Senior Member Uncle Cracker is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom farmer View Post
    Without a phone, getting a job is nearly impossible. TVs are extremely cheap and most everyone needs some kind of entertainment. In most areas, homemade antennas can pick up a lot of channels.
    Yes every family needs ONE phone minimum. Why does every person in the household NEED one? Get your *** of the phone dealing drugs and lining up the next baby mama and look for a job.

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    Most of the poor have plenty of money for dish or direct TV. They also have plenty of money for beer and prepared food. Here if you donate unprepared food they will either refuse it or throw it away. It is not a lack of money, it is lack of thought about how they spend it. We bought a property that had been lost to taxes. The people lived in almost desperate circumstances, holes in the floor, walls etc. I am sure they were glad to be thrown out. We got to clean up the mess. There were fancy fireplaces in the house, a ditch 4ftx4ft x 30 ft clear full of empty bear bottles. Not to mention the piles of bear bottles. The property was literally covered with THOUSANDS of plastic toys. They had horses at one time until they starved to death. The fancy saddles were sitting out. I was told one of them might still be worth $500 if I would oil it up. It surely would have been spendy new! Stuff was piled every where that just hadn't been cared for. In short they had plenty of money for toys and entertainment but no money for mortgage or utilities. The sad part is they were originally given the property!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cracker View Post
    I agree that you need transportaion - but 2 brand new ones??? Give me a break.
    In this area the family with 2 late model vehicles in the drive are not payin' for them with government assistance, they are paying for them with income or often easy credit.

Unprepared food has a lifespan much shorter than canned goods, pantry hub wants 19 cents per pound for stuff, so why risk a disposal problem when it goes bad?
    It's a big gimmick that the larger stores are best suited to receive a tax break that removes some of their risk in keeping their shelves chock full.

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    What I am talking about is some of the local organizations go door to door with "care" packages. There is no out of pocket expense to the receiver. Many are very picky about what they will take. The coat isn't just the one they want or it is a few pounds of hamburger that must be cooked instead of cereal that can just be eaten out of the box.
    The sad thing about Government Assistance here is it discourages marriage. The business plan here is the girl gets pregnant and shacks up with a guy that has a job. She keeps having kids, getting more assistance with each one. She claims to not know who the father is so the state cannot go after the father for child support. Probably many times she doesn't.
    She also rents the house in her name to get housing assistance.I have had several women tell me they are carrying their own weight because they get government aid. It is their JOB maximizing their benefits.
    Last edited by iadave; 01-18-2014 at 11:06 AM.