AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Senior Member BarryJHealy is on a distinguished road BarryJHealy's Avatar
    Around these parts I see alot of trees being planted....some being removed but as was stated in earlier post those trees are dying or dead...shelterbelts are a huge thing around here...we are doing this very thing right now...replacing trees takes a lot of effort but is worth it every time...no permission needed to care for our belts here...

Senior Member jabber1 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryJHealy View Post
    Around these parts I see alot of trees being planted....some being removed but as was stated in earlier post those trees are dying or dead...shelterbelts are a huge thing around here...we are doing this very thing right now...replacing trees takes a lot of effort but is worth it every time...no permission needed to care for our belts here...
    Not many trees being planted in this area except on widely scattered farmsteads. No new field shelter belts planted in this area for maybe a century. Most of the old osage orange "hedge rows" have been removed but we still have some. Just got done with a side trimming job that included one side or the other of over 2 miles of O O hedge.

Senior Member Freedom farmer is on a distinguished road
    I see that Freedom Industries has upped their estimate of leaked chemicals to over 10,000 gallons. And this was from 2 tanks of different chemicals. Yes, TWO tanks. Carelessness seems to be part of the human condition. 10,000 of our children shot every year. Fracking fluids dumped wherever handy. Natural gas flared off in N Dakota. We allow the wealthy to literally write our laws, steal more wealth, and poison us. At least the NRA stands up for the freedom to kill our children. When Clinton was President, we did a reasonable job of actually living up to The Constitution. Ever since 9-11, however, The Constitution has become a silly old piece of paper. Treaties, such as The Geneva Convention, are now an integral part of The Constitution, yet have been and still are continually ignored. While the Bush era of torture has basically ended, I hope, we still commit overt acts of war in many nations across the globe. While I am sympathetic to some of this, such as killing bin Laden and a few other nasties, the fall-out from killing too many children and "wedding parties" simply creates animosity toward us and leads to more recruits who wish to harm us. A national and world debate is much needed. I thank Snowden, Greenwald, and Jeremy Scahill for attempting to get this debate started.

Senior Member tut is on a distinguished road
    Faulty Figures ,that is some of the silliest stuff posted on here.Get a grip on reality!!

tut, I notice you are one who likes to make totally worthless posts: no info, just a waste of words and space. I hope you are merely mentally lazy and not as ignorant as you seem to be.

Here's an excerpt from Forbes on German government regulation holding down housing costs:

It is hard to quarrel with the results. On figures cited in 2012 by the British housing consultant Colin Wiles, one-bedroom apartments in Berlin were then selling for as little as $55,000, and four-bedroom detached houses in the Rhineland for just $80,000. Broadly equivalent properties in New York City and Silicon Valley were selling for as much as ten times higher.

Although conventional wisdom in the English-speaking world holds that bureaucratic intervention in prices makes for subpar outcomes, the fact is that the German economy is by any standards one of the world’s most successful. Just how successful is apparent in, for instance, international trade. At $238 billion in 2012, Germany’s current account surplus was the world’s largest. On a per-capita basis it was nearly 15 times China’s and was achieved while German workers were paid some of the world’s highest wages. Meanwhile German GDP growth has been among the highest of major economies in the last ten years and unemployment has been among the lowest.

On Wiles’s figures, German house prices in 2012 represented a 10 percent decrease in real terms compared to thirty years ago. That is a particularly astounding performance compared to the UK, where real prices rose by more than 230 percent in the same period. (Wiles’s commentaries can be read here and here.)

A key to the story is that German municipal authorities consistently increase housing supply by releasing land for development on a regular basis. The ultimate driver is a central government policy of providing financial support to municipalities based on an up-to-date and accurate count of the number of residents in each area.

The German system moreover is deliberately structured to encourage renting rather than owning. Tenants enjoy strong rights and, provided they pay their rent, are virtually immune from eviction and even from significant rent increases.

Meanwhile demand for owner occupation is curbed by German regulation. German banks, for instance, are rarely permitted to lend more than 80 percent of the value of a property, thus a would-be home buyer first needs to accumulate a deposit of at least 20 percent. To cap it all, ownership of a home is subject to a serious consumption tax, while landlords are encouraged by favorable tax treatment to maximize the availability of rental properties.