AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road

Ah, globar warming, nuk, nuk, nuk

April 9, 2013

For the first time in a decade, Britain will be forced to import wheat after much of the crop has been damaged or destroyed by cold weather. Typically Britain is a net exporter of wheat. The ruined harvests are expected to cost British farmers £500million.

According to reports, freezing temperatures also damaged many of the seeds that have been sown in recent weeks, meaning the next harvest will also be impacted.

The country anticipates the need to import about 1.5 million tons more wheat than it exports in this “crop year,” which runs from July 2012 to June 2013.

Last year, Britain exported 1.6 million tons of wheat, according to the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board.

In addition to the cold weather impacting wheat, it also has affected the country’s potato crop. Potato imports are expected to increase in the next crop year also. Plantings were reported at just 4,000 hectares at the end of March, which is just more than 10 percent of the 30,000 hectares planted at this time last year.

===========The Brits just experienced the winter from ice box land. Doesn't appear winter wants to let go here in the Upper Midwest. Switched more of my acres over to soybeans, cause this just ain't gonna be an early planting year for corn. A lot of yield potential down the toilet.

Senior Member steffy is on a distinguished road
    I also heard Ukrains wheat and barly harvest had been downgraded.Most of europe is not warming up either.Anyone else besides me thinking the global increase in production is highly over rated?

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    Golly there steffy, why would USDA and their ilk lie about grain supplies?

Let me think about the motivation and all...............oh, because they want grain for cheap. Order that db51 superlube now.

At what point will you switch your crop plans to soybeans from corn?