AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member lafarmer345 is on a distinguished road

Double Crop Corn

I had posted back in August about a corn experiment where a grower harvested in July and replanted at the same time. The growers, actually, are uncle and nephew. Uncle completed harvest yesterday, nephew began harvest, but corn is so heavy with moisture(42+%) the combine will not unload it.
    Uncle made about 75 bu. He planted 25K seed, sidedressed with 100 units of 32%, sprayed roundup once, 3 applications of fungicide, one to two irrigations. He had it contracted @ 5.40. He had to run it thru his dryer twice to get it to 15%.
    I don't think this will be tried again.

Kevin

Senior Member jimsonweed is on a distinguished road
    I could imagine that being successful down there if the second crop is cut for silage. How was the vegetative growth on the second crop? How tall was the corn?

Senior Member TheUGAFAN24 is on a distinguished road
    I've heard of people planting corn then soybeans in the same year in South Georgia with pretty good results. Harvests in July/August and again before Christmas not sure about the Soy variety. Good luck, that has to be a struggle with the Hurricane winds in Louisiana.

Senior Member lafarmer345 is on a distinguished road
    Second crop would have decent good silage, but there isnt a dairy, much less a silage cutter anywhere in the country...

The corn was probably 6-7 ft on average

Kevin